PDA

View Full Version : XP help --"No sound device installed"

Bluedog
09-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I know a lot of you guys are computer savvy. Quick help please. My Windows box at home had about 100 computer games installed on it that my daughter has checked out from the library over the past couple years. It was running so damn slow, I went through and uninstalled them all, which helped, but now I have no sound and I get a prompt that tells me there is no audio device installed. I cant find a program or driver to reinstall and it's too late to use a restore point.

Also, It is a factory built dell computer with a Windows certificate right o top of the tower, but the damn thing says the copy of windows is not genuine when I try to update. WTF?

The warranty is long gone, I have no disk to reinstall the operating system, and cant get a copy of XP anyway. I should buy a new computer, but I just don't have the time to mess with that right now. Is there a way to get a patch or online fix for this without a complete reinstall? Will a reinstall get my audio device back?

abpt1
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I know a lot of you guys are computer savvy. Quick help please. My Windows box at home had about 100 computer games installed on it that my daughter has checked out from the library over the past couple years. It was running so damn slow, I went through and uninstalled them all, which helped, but now I have no sound and I get a prompt that tells me there is no audio device installed. I cant find a program or driver to reinstall and it's too late to use a restore point.

Also, It is a factory built dell computer with a Windows certificate right o top of the tower, but the damn thing says the copy of windows is not genuine when I try to update. WTF?

The warranty is long gone, I have no disk to reinstall the operating system, and cant get a copy of XP anyway. I should buy a new computer, but I just don't have the time to mess with that right now. Is there a way to get a patch or online fix for this without a complete reinstall? Will a reinstall get my audio device back? Have you tried system restore?

Start
accessorys
system tools
System restore
restore it to a good point and be careful what you uninstall next time .

LAGC
09-02-2010, 06:18 PM
You should just be able to visit Dell's web-site and re-download the audio drivers from there:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Just enter in the Service Tag from the back of the PC, or the model number, and proceed from there.

As for your Windows not being genuine problem, that may have something to do with the bulk product key that Dell uses on all its pre-staged systems being revoked by Microsoft due to someone else reverse engineering it and using it in their own pirated versions. I bet if you got hold of an XP install CD (you could call Dell and ask for a free replacement) and re-installed using that individual product key that is printed on your case, it would go through fine. (Just make sure your install CD version matches the version printed on your product key: Home, Pro, or Media Center).

Oswald Bastable
09-02-2010, 06:19 PM
You'll need to go into the hardware section of device manager, find out what audio hardware you have, then go the audio device maker's website for the current drivers. Install those and you should be good to go.

63DH8
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
If you're using an add-on sound card, turn your computer off, then remove the sound card, then replace it. It may have gotten a little bit of dust or corrosion on the contacts. You may have to remove the driver in the "Device manager" and reinstall if this doesn't work. Push come to shove, get and install an aftermarket sound card.

El Jefe
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Just break in to the local Best Buy tonight after they close and then brag about it later. :)

LAGC
09-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Just break in to the local Best Buy tonight after they close and then brag about it later. :)

:laughingtohard: