PDA

View Full Version : How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

c-dog
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
So I got a 1,000rnd case of russian surplus ammo called Klimovsk. Because it was advertised as Non-Corrosive & the box said the same, I assume it was. After purchasing the case, I read a little more into the ammo online & found out some people were complaining that their Klimovsk was indeed corrosive. This got me a little worried and when I received it in the mail, I made sure to test it before firing through my AK.

This Test is SUPER SIMPLE & uses common household tools. I recommend everyone who buys any sort of surplus ammo, test it before firing (or buying a case!)

http://youtu.be/B5A0aheehk4

El Laton Caliente
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

Fire it out of a blued rifle then put the rifle away for a month before you clean it... ;^)

FunkyPertwee
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
I just count on it being corrosive and clean my weapon accordingly.

c-dog
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Fire it out of a blued rifle then put the rifle away for a month before you clean it... ;^)

Hah, not that sounds like a GREAT IDEA! :dizzy:

I just count on it being corrosive and clean my weapon accordingly.

I hear you, but there is absolutely no reason to clean an AK after every day at the range... as long as non-corrosive ammo is used.
I like knowing the residue left over isn't attacking my firearm right away.

Schuetzenman
11-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Yes I also like knowing if the cheap ammo is corrosive or not. The polished nail head and pop the primer on it trick is very old. I'd posted about it in the C&R forums of the old Gunsnet 10 years ago. It is a very reliable way to determine corrosive priming or not on ammo. Nice to see a vid on it now, thanks for posting.

Skip
11-20-2012, 09:35 AM
I also remember your post.

Krupski
11-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Hah, not that sounds like a GREAT IDEA! :dizzy:

I hear you, but there is absolutely no reason to clean an AK after every day at the range... as long as non-corrosive ammo is used.
I like knowing the residue left over isn't attacking my firearm right away.

I ALWAYS clean my weapons after a trip to the range. If, for some reason, I can't do it right away, I at least run an sloppy wet oil soaked patch up and down the bore to insure it won't corrode.

Also, most firearms deposit burned powder residue in the action as well as the bore. Those areas need to be cleaned too.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I always COMPLETELY strip each gun down to individual parts, clean them in the parts washer, soak barrels in Hoppes #9 for a few days, then scrub everything clean, re-oil and re-assemble.

Every gun I have is spotlessly clean and oiled when it's put away.

c-dog
11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I ALWAYS clean my weapons after a trip to the range. If, for some reason, I can't do it right away, I at least run an sloppy wet oil soaked patch up and down the bore to insure it won't corrode.
Also, most firearms deposit burned powder residue in the action as well as the bore. Those areas need to be cleaned too.
Maybe I'm nuts, but I always COMPLETELY strip each gun down to individual parts, clean them in the parts washer, soak barrels in Hoppes #9 for a few days, then scrub everything clean, re-oil and re-assemble.
Every gun I have is spotlessly clean and oiled when it's put away.

I don't think your nuts, but you must not have anything better to do ;)
You shouldn't need to spend more time cleaning than you do shooting...
And you are very correct about cleaning the action. When using corrosive ammo, EVERYTHING needs to be cleaned. The blowback throws corrosive salts in pretty much every nook & cranny. (especially the gas tube).
Some times I'll hit the range in the afternoon for an hour to relax, go though 100 rounds & get on with my evening.
There is no way I'll strip down my rifle for that little use, ESPECIALLY if I know I'll be going back the next day, or within the week.
But that's the way I do things :cigarsmoking:

Krupski
11-22-2012, 08:28 PM
There is no way I'll strip down my rifle for that little use, ESPECIALLY if I know I'll be going back the next day, or within the week.
But that's the way I do things :cigarsmoking:

Well, if I know I'm going out the next day or so, then I won't bother with a cleaning... but I still do run an oily patch down the bores immediately when I get home.

FunkyPertwee
11-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I guess I'm just used to cleaning frequently. Hell, I'm cleaning clean AKs tonight. Found a rust spot on one that I just oiled up a few weeks ago, so I'm oiling them again.

silentkilla
11-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I guess I'm just used to cleaning frequently. Hell, I'm cleaning clean AKs tonight. Found a rust spot on one that I just oiled up a few weeks ago, so I'm oiling them again.

lol you sound just like me! doing the same

c-dog
11-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I guess I'm just used to cleaning frequently. Hell, I'm cleaning clean AKs tonight. Found a rust spot on one that I just oiled up a few weeks ago, so I'm oiling them again. See now that is why I stay clear away from corrosive ammunition... you may think you got the gun completely clean, and then a rust spot pops up... which is 100x's less likely to happen with non-corrosive ammo... I don't like rust & neither do my firearms ;)