PDA

View Full Version : Someone said something strange to me yesterday. Not quite sure what he meant.

was_peacemaker
11-20-2012, 03:38 PM
A fellow that I at times engage in friendly debate with. Mainly in theology. he stated that I was "correct in what I affirm, but incorrect in what I deny".

Don't know how to take that or what he means. An insult to my intellect or a neutral way of disagreement...not really sure.

How should I approach or take that statement?

CigarGuy
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I'd just say "that guy is WAY smarter then me" and back away without making eye contact.
But, that's me.

raxar
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
He means you're right when you agree with him, and wrong when you disagree with him -or- You're right in what you believe but wrong in what you don't believe.

I would say a neutral way of disagreeing.

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I think he's comming on to you.

Try pulling your wang out and see what happens.

That ought to clear up any confusion.

alismith
11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
A fellow that I at times engage in friendly debate with. Mainly in theology. he stated that I was "correct in what I affirm, but incorrect in what I deny".

Don't know how to take that or what he means. An insult to my intellect or a neutral way of disagreement...not really sure.

How should I approach or take that statement?

It's hard to give a satisfactory answer to you without knowing the context in which he made that statement.

Solidus-snake
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Sounds like intellectual masturbation to me. I agree with Gonzo

studmuffin
11-20-2012, 05:34 PM
What you say is correct, but..............

stinker
11-20-2012, 06:24 PM

You've been listening to that smell yo dick song from the other thread too many times :punch1:

It's hard to give a satisfactory answer to you without knowing the context in which he made that statement.

This.

Though it does sound like it might be a pile of pseudointellectual crap either way.

If you can't dazzle with brilliance, baffle with bullshit.

O.S.O.K.
11-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow. A lot of todo over nothing. He's just saying "your partially right". But in over complicated way.

davepool
11-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Simply put:

You're damned if you do

and

Damned if you don't

Dr. Gonzo GED
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
You've been listening to that smell yo dick song from the other thread too many times :punch1:

It's so catchy. I can't get it out of my head!!!!!!

http://poppinhiphop.com/latest/images/videothumbs/799.jpg

Stylz
11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Maybe he means you are right with some of your values "conservative Christian for example", but wrong in some stuff you've been taught to deny "global warming" for example. Just examples.

Skeeter
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
That sounds like something my wife would say before I would send her after an nether beer.

stinker
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
It's so catchy. I can't get it out of my head!!!!!!

Don't be afraid young man! I'll save you! :big-eye-eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xfq2qk0_es&feature=related

:coffee:

jojo
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM

This.

Stinker, you're sick

davepool
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Don't be afraid young man! I'll save you! :big-eye-eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xfq2qk0_es&feature=related

:coffee:

Damn, that brings back some bad memories, scariest 5 years of my life.

For you young guys. If you think PMS is a bitch, wait till she has it 24/7 for 5 years or more

Actually that's not quite accurate, imagine Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, only he stays Mr Hyde for 5 years.

My wife was not to difficult during her monthly cycle, but god damn did she make up for it during menopause. I'm lucky to be alive :)

was_peacemaker
11-21-2012, 08:38 AM

We were discussing the definition and application to the usage of Hebrew words...and Maimonides vs. modern theological usage.

was_peacemaker
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Wow. A lot of todo over nothing. He's just saying "your partially right". But in over complicated way.

And I am starting to notice this with many folks who have Theology degrees. They seem to over complicate a simple expression.

Bluntforce
11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
There's a phrase among doctors who specialize in geriatrics and neurological conditions/damage. It applies equally to philosophy professors/students and to liberals. It's called a "word salad". This site has been graced with several since its resurrection.

Most Theologians wander into the field when they find out the minor awe they were held in by undergrads and braindead co-eds as Philosophy majors takes on literally Biblical proportions when they switch fields of bamboozle to Theology.

It is probably no mistake by the Universe that "word salad" and "tossed salad" sound so much alike.

Bluntforce
11-21-2012, 12:55 PM
What he was actually saying is you are either denying something that is true or part of the truth, OR you are denying something(s) for the wrong reason(s).

He needs to clarify. Since it was a friendly debate it probably was not intended to sound as pompous as it could/does.

Word salad is completely justified if he was being pompous or proves to be wrong.

Read THE CLOUDS by Aristophanes for a quick lesson in word play. It's short (compared to 1984) and hilarious.

was_peacemaker
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
What he was actually saying is you are either denying something that is true or part of the truth, OR you are denying something(s) for the wrong reason(s).

He needs to clarify. Since it was a friendly debate it probably was not intended to sound as pompous as it could/does.

Word salad is completely justified if he was being pompous or proves to be wrong.

Read THE CLOUDS by Aristophanes for a quick lesson in word play. It's short (compared to 1984) and hilarious.

This is the type of fellow who sometimes feels like he wins arguments by presenting or posting 800+ page thesis papers on say...one book of the Bible. Of course in a debate no one is going to read all that just to figure out his point.

He really is a nice guy but its like he pushes the limits of practical academics.

Devil U Know
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM

I must say, I concour with this analysis.