PDA

View Full Version : problems with my mak90

daytripper
11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
just bought a norinco mak90 straight cut reciever made in 94,it came with 3 stocks the original thumb hole,a fiberforce stock and a origanal blonde pistol grip stock set.i want to take off the fiberforce furniture and replace it with the pistol grip furniture.the problem im having is the lower forarm grip, i cant get the ferral to move far enough up the barrel to install the lower wood grip.i move the latch 180 degrees forward and tap the ferral with a mallet and screw driver i got it to move far enough to remove the plastic fiberforce grip.but the ferral still needs to move about another 1"to 1"1/4 and i cant get it to budge. am i doing smething wrong with the latch?or do i need a BIGGER mallet.

imanaknut
11-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

When you raise the lever that locks the lower handguard in place, there is a cutout in the barrel that it locks into. It is a half moon type like the latch that holds the gas tube in place. If you can move the lower handguard retainer forward any, that means it is out of its locking area and should move forward until it hits the gas block.

Could you possibly upload a photo so that I (we) can see exactly what the problem might be? Thanks!

El Laton Caliente
11-21-2012, 06:13 AM
Welcome to the board!

I've had stiff levers, but not a retainer plate. What 'Nut said... Once the lever is rotated out of the barrel grove the retainer plate should move easily to the gas block. The lever has a half round that mates with the groove cut into the barrel; did you let it rotate so it is acting as a wedge?

Schuetzenman
11-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Pretty much what your first two responders said. Norinco rifles often have a very rough cut barrel profile having many ridges and grooves in them from turing them down to size quickly. It creates what we call a "phonograph record" type of surface. i would say there is a possibility that the half round latch cylinder might be catching one of these ridges and digging in. Make sure to lift the latch a bit, maybe slowly wiggle it up and down just a little as you try to pull the ferrule foward. If it's hanging up on a ridge this should get you over it.

jojo
11-21-2012, 08:12 AM
Squirt a little oil on the LHG retainer and tap it with a mallet.

daytripper
11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
thanks for sharing the knowledge guys, i did get it to move far enough to take off plastic LHG but the tongue that slide into the reicever is longer on the wood grip than the one that was on plastic LHG i will try what you guys suggested wiggleing the latch while tapping it with mallet and trying some oil,if i figure out how to upload pics i will.after i get this lower hand gaurd problem solved,i have another problem possible canted front sight im starting to think maybe i payed too much for this mak

daytripper
11-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I GIVE UP on this retainer plate! I have tried everything oil,wiggleing the latch while tapping it with mallet.i have tried different positions with latch and smacking the hell out of it with the rubber mallet.I guess i will take it to gunsmith before i break something.