PDA

View Full Version : Recharging regular throw away batteries

rci2950
11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
During a boredom induced science experiment I recharged a drained (low batt indicator tripped) but not dead pair of regular AA Energizer. Using a charger designed for rechargeable alkaline batteries and it worked fine. The throw aways reacted the same as the rechargeable...

My mouse (apple magic mouse) chews through AAs like nobodies business so i figured i would give it a shot. Charged until the charger indicated complete and they have now been in the mouse a couple hours with no problem. Filled back up. I wonder what all the hub bub is about.

Just a money grab?

like a how gillette says a mach 3 is better then a DE but its really not?

ltorlo64
11-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I believe that there is the possibility of the non-rechargable battery bursting, especially if the charging current is too high. You can also damage or break your charger. You also have to be careful to pull the batteries out when they are done charging or they will burst. From what I read they won't explode, but the seals that keep all the chemicals inside will rupture letting all the stuff out to corrode the internals of your charger.

alismith
11-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Every once in a while I run across a charger that's made for recharging "regular" batteries, but they always say they won't charge up quite as much as a rechargable battery will. I have one in the garage, somewhere, but since I switched over to rechargable batteries, I seldom use it.

deth502
11-21-2012, 11:15 PM
i prefer plug in shit. i not, id rather throw away bateries. more expensive, but i really dont use that many battery powered devices, and its just easier to not have to worry about charging.

BISHOP
11-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I have seen battery chargers just for charging regular batteries, do a search for it.

BISHOP

Oswald Bastable
11-22-2012, 01:12 AM
I have seen battery chargers just for charging regular batteries, do a search for it.

BISHOP

Yup...I have one of them and used it a number of times. As mentioned, charging life is not as good as the original throw-aways, nor as good as actual rechargeables, and successive rechargings have progressively worse working times. It's definitely doable...the rechargers designed to use with regular alkalines have a sensor to shut off the charging flow in time to prevent the battery bursting, but at best, you can only recharge them a couple or three times before the law of diminishing returns takes its toll, and one has to consider the cost of kW hours on the charger vs just buying new batteries, given how cheap they are.

rci2950
11-23-2012, 12:11 PM
still using the recharged batteries with no issue. still on the first recharge.

charger0122
11-23-2012, 12:38 PM
another thing you might not know about just thought id add this. but some aa batteries like the one i have in front of me have laser pointer batteries/watch batteries in them stacked up. the one i have in front of me right now is a phillips long life its green. just take the skin off and you got a a few for other electronics. i have recharged them for my remote they last a couple days. not all aa batteries ar like this tho.

charger0122
11-23-2012, 12:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QxS38_u7Mnw/

5.56NATO
11-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Rechargables, like gold, silver, ammo, alky, and tp, will be the money of choice in the pocalypse.

JTHunter
11-24-2012, 12:18 AM
In 30+ years of recharging alkaline batteries in a charger meant for them, I have yet to have one "explode". Only a few even leaked.
BUT, in a charger meant for rechargeable batteries, I've had several alkalines leak because they overheated.
Also, as several others pointed out, they don't last as long as a fresh alkaline and, with each recharging, last shorter each time, esp. in "high drain" (motors) situations.

deth502
11-24-2012, 02:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8n2Qgguto