PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9/92FS(US)/92FS(Italy)/92FS Type M9A1/96A1

Next
11-24-2012, 11:39 PM
For the love of all that is, can someone tell me the difference in these guns?

I know the 96A1 has a rail and 17rds but the rest?

All parts interchangeable with military issue?

imanaknut
11-25-2012, 01:04 AM
92 series = 9mm

96 series = .40 S&W

Difference between new 92FS and M9 = roll marks, slant vs straight dustcover and scalloped vs straight backstrap

92FS Type M9A1 = std 92FS slide on a frame with front rail

92A1/96A1 = same as standard but with round trigger guard and rail

Other than the markings, there is truthfully no difference between Italian made or American made pistols. Beretta quality control sees to it, although some like to say one finish is better than the other, but again, personal preference.

Beretta 9mm factory mags, MSD, and Mec-Gar mags are all "factory" and come in 10, 15, 17, and 18 round flush, and beretta has a "factory" 20 rounder as well.
Not too familiar with the 96 series as I only work with 9mm.

The beauty of the Beretta 92 series is that all parts are interchangable, nothing is custom fit. You can take ten 92FS and ten M9s apart, throw the parts in a box and assemble 20 new pistols randomly.

This is my Franken 92, made from at least 8 host pistols, and parts from Beretta, CDNN, Brownell's, a couple off Ebay and one or two off Gunbroker. And the pistol is 100% reliable, and I had an expert marksman run about 100 rounds through it at 25 yards and he tore the center out of the target, and proceeded to call my creation boringly accurate!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Beretta_92FS_Franken_Inox_Rt.JPG

Krupski
11-25-2012, 03:21 PM
For the love of all that is, can someone tell me the difference in these guns?

I know the 96A1 has a rail and 17rds but the rest?

All parts interchangeable with military issue?

I've got an M9 (same thing as M92F). Beautiful pistol. Comfortable, nicely balanced, accurate and very reliable.

It is picky though... it needs good mags or else it will jam (usually stovepipe).

Watch out for "Okay Industries" USGI 15 round mags. I bought a bunch of them and had nothing but trouble with them.

The reason was that they were "gritty" inside... the finish wasn't smooth.

I took a stiff wire brush, chucked it into my drill and "reamed out" the insides of all the mags to make them smooth.

NOW they work flawlessly. I toss in a shot of graphite lube from my Beta-C mags for good luck too.

Mec-Gar and "Genuine" Beretta mags work well. Watch out for other brands.

Krupski
11-25-2012, 03:22 PM
This is my Franken 92, made from at least 8 host pistols, and parts from Beretta, CDNN, Brownell's, a couple off Ebay and one or two off Gunbroker.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Beretta_92FS_Franken_Inox_Rt.JPG

That's pretty cool looking!

Did you upgrade the plastic parts to aluminum (the mainspring housing, trigger, mag release and guide rod)?

imanaknut
11-25-2012, 03:30 PM
That's pretty cool looking!

Did you upgrade the plastic parts to aluminum (the mainspring housing, trigger, mag release and guide rod)?

Thanks, and that is affirmative, all parts other than the grip (Hogue) and follower are metal.

The slide is marked M9, rest of the parts are 92FS.

Next
11-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm going to be purchasing a few handguns in the next month with 4-5 mags for each and at least 500rds for each gun.

5.56NATO
11-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Almost makes me want one!

ltorlo64
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM
If you are thinking about buying one, I have a negative. Maybe not much of a negative, but enough to keep me from buying one. I am left handed and when I fire the M9 (for military quals), it tries to twist out of my hand. I notice a little twisting of my 1911, and none on my Glock or CZ, but that Baretta has a pronounced twisting recoil. I have shot many and they all do the same thing. Just something else to watch for.

insider
12-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I like the steel guide rod with titanium spring, really makes the action smooth! Throw away that stupid plastic guide rod, what were they thinking???

vit
12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm pretty new to the M9/92 thing, but like the one I bought a LOT ;)
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/uzvslbu/001-4.jpg

Krupski
12-03-2012, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty new to the M9/92 thing, but like the one I bought a LOT ;)

That rail on the bottom of the frame is nice..... mine doesn't have that. :(

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/beretta_m9.jpg

Krupski
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm going to be purchasing a few handguns in the next month with 4-5 mags for each and at least 500rds for each gun.

Don't you mean "at least 500 rds for each mag"? :)

Krupski
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I like the steel guide rod with titanium spring, really makes the action smooth! Throw away that stupid plastic guide rod, what were they thinking???

This is what they were thinking:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/2010_cent_obverse.png/220px-2010_cent_obverse.png

I had to search Gunbroker to find "old" M92 aluminum parts. I finally found a guy that had a bunch of "new old stock" and I bought 2 aluminum versions of each plastic part (guide rod, mainspring housing, trigger, mag release, etc...) one for my M9 and another set in case I buy another!

insider
12-08-2012, 01:24 AM
This is what they were thinking:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/2010_cent_obverse.png/220px-2010_cent_obverse.png

I had to search Gunbroker to find "old" M92 aluminum parts. I finally found a guy that had a bunch of "new old stock" and I bought 2 aluminum versions of each plastic part (guide rod, mainspring housing, trigger, mag release, etc...) one for my M9 and another set in case I buy another!
So, they have to save a penny on a guide rod for a pistol that costs $600? That's why I bought an Italian made Beretta 92.

imanaknut
12-08-2012, 02:27 AM
Actually the plastic guide rod was designed for desert operation and is actually not as cheap as many thing. It has passed proof testing with flying colors. Just that some of us have a hard time understanding that a piece of plastic can replace a metal part with no problems. I am one of them yet find the guide rod interesting!