PDA

View Full Version : Westchester County, NY - Westchester gun owners take aim at county's firearm safety

Gunreference1
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Westchester gun owners take aim at county's firearm safety laws

BY Abby Luby
DAILY NEWS WRITER

Friday, September 3rd 2010, 4:00 AM

Westchester gun owners are balking at the county's firearm safety laws.

With the echo of the Supreme Court decision upholding the Second Amendment right to bear arms still ringing in their ears, they want the county to stop scrutinizing applicants for permits and licenses.

Scott Sommavilla, president of the Westchester County Firearm Owners Association, criticized police for using "no-knock" (if need be) search warrants issued by local judges.

The warrants allow police to enter homes - by force if needed - to verify weapons listed on permit applications are safely stored.

"This is an invasion of privacy and denies a gun owner's civil rights," charged Sommavilla, who met Monday with county legislators and state Supreme Court Justice Alan Scheinkman to review the county's gun law.

Legislator Tom Abinanti (D-Greenburgh), who authored the law 10 years ago, called the searches prudent in cases in which owners had more than five guns.

"It bears on judges to issue handgun licenses and additional permits. They want to know what the circumstances are, how the guns are stored," Abinanti said.

Unlike New York City, which requires renewal of gun licenses and permits every two years, Westchester requires it every five years.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruling also upheld the right to possess a firearm inside a person's home for self-defense. But the county is sticking to its gun storage law, which mandates the use of trigger locks or that guns be stored in a locked space. Some gun owners say the rules make it impossible for them to defend themselves.

Charles Timlin, who, with his wife Rita, owns the RT Smoke & Gun gun shop in Mount Vernon, said the county law favors criminals.

"If my home is being invaded by a criminal carrying an illegal gun, do I ask him to wait so I can unlock my gun and protect my family, or do I get killed?" he asked.

Timlin's shop requires gun permit applicants to take classes and be fingerprinted, photographed and investigated by police.

"The problem is that the criminal doesn't have to lock up anything, but the person who's not a criminal - the legal firearm owner who goes through all the testing - is the one who is always the target," he said.

Westchester Legislator Martin Rogowsky (D-Harrison), chairman of the county's Public Safety & Security Committee, said regardless of the Supreme Court ruling, Westchester will not change its gun law.

"The game plan is to do nothing. The laws on our books are lawful. Why should we play judge on a law that we voted for?"

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bronx/2010/09/03/2010-09-03_gun_permit_battle_wchester_owners_take_aim_at_c ounty_laws.html

Steve