PDA

View Full Version : Non-Chrome Lined barrel on Yugos an issue??

bomp15
11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Hey all, I'm new here, first post. Y'all seem like a solid group and the go to for info on AKs, so here is my dilemma.

I'm planning on getting my first AK. Had decided on an Arsenal SGL series, but given the election outcome the AK market is dry as a bone for Arsenals as far as I can tell. That being what it is, looks like the Yugo M70s are pretty solid guns too. Maybe not an Arsenal, but for a first AK not too bad. Classic Firearms (http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/papriflews) has this Yugo for a good price, in stock, lots of extras, and free shipping. Looks tough to beat and am thinking of pulling the proverbial trigger.

BUT, these don't have chrome lined barrels. Is this an issue to y'all given the higher likelihood for corrosion or rust? I am coming from an AR platform background and I would never get an AR without a chrome lined barrel, didn't know how crucial that was with AKs.

Thanks for the feedback! And if you were me would you go with this AK that I linked? There is also a good looking Inter Ordinance Polish-made one locally with all wood furniture for similar price ($635). Could always wait until the craziness after the election dies down and Arsenals come back in stock, but I want one sooner than later...

btcave
11-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Clean after shooting. No problem. Chrome lined is for military weapons that will encounter extended periods of neglect. Most hunting rilfes will see just as poor conditions, yet are not chromed lined and yet they pass down to multiple generations of hunters with normal maintenance. I have an AR that is chromed lined and one that is not... the one that is not is more accurate. Your milage may vary...

imanaknut
11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Yep, as long as you clean the rifle after shooting, remembering to clean the gas tube and gas block, you won't have any problems.

Personally I use ammo that is questionable, I treat it as corrosive and hose the rifle down with Windex with ammonia while at the range, then when I get home a good dose of hot water to rinse again, followed by WD-40 to get rid of the water. I then clean the barrel as normal using Hoppe's 9 spiked with a little ammonia, followed by CLP inside and out.

A little bit much maybe, but I look at cleaning my toys as being almost as much fun as getting them dirty. It also gives me a chance to check to make sure everything is good to go in the weapon, as in no broken or overly worn parts.

My 2 cents is the Yugo M70s are really nice AKM variants! Don't let the non-chrome lined barrel stop you. In fact many target shooters swear that unlined barrels are more accurate than chrome lined ones.

El Laton Caliente
11-28-2012, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the Board!

The Chrome helps in periods of neglect and sustained full auto fire. It also makes a barrel less accurate. On a semi, it should not matter at all with good cleaning practices.

Yugos are one of the best variants. You'll love it.

filthy phil
11-28-2012, 06:42 AM
love my pap. 280rds breakin no issues
http://i.imgur.com/behVS.jpg

bomp15
11-28-2012, 09:36 PM
filthy phil,
That looks nearly identical to the one I was looking at! Do you run a sling with it? The one I'm looking at doesn't have a sling attachment on the stock and was wondering how you attached it if your doesn't either. Thanks guys for the input!

Gunsmoke
01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
The Serbs don't CL their barrels no need. Their barrels are hard as a rock and you oldy need to clean them and use a lite lub down the barrel and your good to go....best barrels made for an AK rifle. And its why they are accurate.

TwistedKarma
01-04-2013, 05:33 AM
How is the accuaracy compared to the Valmets? Same?

El Laton Caliente
01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Similar...