PDA

View Full Version : Why I am sad: Magazine stuck

sadman
12-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Greetings to everyone,

I searched around for a solution to this issue but I couldn't find a good solid answer.

My friend picked my AK up and attempted to insert a magazine. He attempted to insert it like you would most magazines, ie I think he shoved it straight in. So essentially the rear part of the magazine clicked into the magazine release and the front of the magazine was not inside the gun at all.

I have wiggle it and tryed to depress the magazine release quite a few times to no avail. I am afraid to get much rougher without some technique to what I am doing for fear of damaging my AK.

There are a few pictures attached of the problem. I had to resize them so I could attach them, if they are to hard to view I will try to find somewhere else to upload them to.

If anyone can offer any help I would appreciate it so much.

Thanks

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Since the front lug is outside the mag well, I would stand the rifle on it's stock, nose up and using a good sized rubber mallet smack the mag on the floorplate area which should pivot it out of the rifle. Use care as it might not take too much of a hit to get it out.

sadman
12-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Just to be clear, you mean stand the gun on it's stock, and whack the magazine towards the barrel end of the floorplate (basically hit below where the mag is not seated on the floorplate?) in order to achieve a motion like pulling the magazine towards me (if I were holding the rifle)?

Or said another way, push the part that is locked into the magazine release further up into the gun?

Thanks for the reply!

sadman
12-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Here are some hopefully better images.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/208/20121130161508.jpg
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/850/20121130161348.jpg

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
It would be as if you had the rifle shouldered and just grabbed the mag at its furthest point from the rifle, then pull the mag toward yourself. I think we are saying the same thing.

If you have someone helping you to hold the rifle steady you can apply pressure to the mag release in the normal direction to remove the mag, but I would be afraid that when the mag came loose it could catch your finger that would be holding the release.

PS, don't be too hard on your friend, I know a certain AK-nut who might admit to not getting the front mag lug in the correct location and getting the mag improperly inserted, if you can call getting it stuck in the wrong position inserted! Seriously, I have been playing with AKs for a long time and have to admit they have among the hardest mags to install quickly.

sadman
12-01-2012, 05:29 PM
I could tell he truly felt very very bad about it and I understand that feeling, also I know that the magazine is a bit tricky, so I genuinely told him not to worry. I can say that I have never owned another gun that has a trick to inserting and removing the magazine like the AK (other than some oddly located magazine releases). I kind of wonder what the reason was for making it like that.

I have already given it some pretty good pressure trying to do what you are saying to do. I believe it is going to take a rubber hammer of some sort.

The other thing is that the magazine release is not moving AT ALL and I haven't been able to devise a way to get in there with anything that would not scratch the gun to put pressure on it beyond what I can do with my hands. Any suggestion for that?

Am I right in thinking that the magazine won't release unless the magazine release can be pressed? Would it have to be pressed before applying pressure to the magazine or just have pressure on it while hitting the magazine with a mallet?

sadman
12-01-2012, 05:47 PM
More pictures.

Not sure they show anything that is not already known though

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4236/20121201173203.jpg

Dunno why the picture makes the area around the chamber look rusty (maybe the flash?) but it does not look rusty in real life.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/1930/20121201173155.jpg

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Here are some hopefully better images.

http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/208/20121130161508.jpg
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/850/20121130161348.jpg

it looks like you can get a flat head screw driver with maybe a rag around the flat head to keep from scratching and mash the release while putting a little pressure on the screw driver and it would pop out. slide it in the front where the gap is and apply even pressure to the release and the screwdriver

shorthair
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
A small wooden hard wood dowel (6-8") to wack the release while pressure on the mag?

sadman
12-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Silentkilla, are you saying to use a screw driver to pry it out while also using another screw driver to press the mag release?

I have been using a wooden carpenters pencil to try to put pressure on the mag but maybe a better idea is holding pressure on the mag and whacking the mag release. I will give that a shot.

Thanks

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 06:51 PM
is there someone there to help you, two people might be better on this one. use the screwdriver in the front and another to push the release if you have to and it should pop out bud

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 06:55 PM
thats crazy! the way i'm looking at it it looks as if you could push the release in and it would come right out!

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
looks like your going to have to get some sort of wedge and stick it between the release and the mag to fully compress it to let it go huh?

deth502
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
A small wooden hard wood dowel (6-8") to wack the release while pressure on the mag?

:thumbsup: id just use a soft faced mallet, if you can get a good position on it. if not, yeah, the dowel as a "punch" and whack the release.

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 07:01 PM
:thumbsup: id just use a soft faced mallet, if you can get a good position on it. if not, yeah, the dowel as a "punch" and whack the release.

thats all i can think of too. he's going to have to compress the release all the way in to move it while hitting it with a rubber malot to loosen it up and get it out

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Ok, I have a problem.

I just installed a mag into my MAK-90 just like in the photo, and after a little wiggling around had no problem getting it out. Took all of 3 seconds if that long.

I do have to say that I was surprised how easy it was to get the mag to lock into the release lever without the front tab being fully into the receiver.

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
it sure is nut,lol i done the same after reading this thread to see if i could help the man out but just like you said i compressed the release lever all the way back and gave it a wiggle and it popped right out. i don't understand where the difficulty is coming from getting that darn mag out unless something else is wrong. do you think the mag well is bent not letting the mag flop a little to slide out? i'm lost on this one! it should not be that hard.

Full Otto
12-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Have you tried using some oil where the two surfaces meet?
Get some in there and using what you can get to fit (flat screwdriver or punch) apply pressure here.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ljmd5c.jpg

It may also help to imagine someone is shooting at you.

As far as why the design

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
I have another idea, but I have too much respect for all to say it.

Full Otto
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Tap the pin out?

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 08:49 PM
PM coming Otto, and it doesn't have anything to do with a pin, but that is a great idea, remove the pin, remove the lock lever.

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Have you tried using some oil where the two surfaces meet?
Get some in there and using what you can get to fit (flat screwdriver or punch) apply pressure here.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ljmd5c.jpg

It may also help to imagine someone is shooting at you.

As far as why the design

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7hi20TI_jA

it looks to me that you could put a little oil on there were you got the arrow at and tap the mag forward and it would come out, you know it?

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
pm me too! aknut i want to know whats on your mind about this situation.

imanaknut
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
pm me too! aknut i want to know whats on your mind about this situation.

Incoming

silentkilla
12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
pm sent

FunkyPertwee
12-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Hit the mag release with a hammer like another member said.

shorthair
12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Drive it out and down from the top after you remove the bolt?

Full Otto
12-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Must have to finish his homework before he can use the computer

deth502
12-02-2012, 11:13 AM
oh for fucks sake, its an ak, you dont oil it!!

El Laton Caliente
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
oh for fucks sake, its an ak, you dont oil it!!

LOL...

Schuetzenman
12-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Just hit the damn thing (magazine) already and stop teating it like it was made out of balsa wood.

silentkilla
12-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Just hit the damn thing (magazine) already and stop teating it like it was made out of balsa wood.

:yeah: i love yall and i love this forum!!! get'um Schuetzenman!!!

silentkilla
12-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Must have to finish his homework before he can use the computer

lol

slamfire51
12-02-2012, 02:14 PM

If AKs have to be pussy-footed around, they NEVER would have become the World's #1 assault rifle.
Hit it like you mean it for Pete's sake.

silentkilla
12-02-2012, 02:30 PM
:hit-it::hit-it::hit-it::hit-it::hit-it:

slamfire51
12-02-2012, 05:57 PM
it looks to me that you could put a little oil on there were you got the arrow at and tap the mag forward and it would come out, you know it?

That is the most impractical way to reload an AK I've seen.
The hammer is back when he reloads. You would almost have to have bionic fingers to charge the bolt if it were down. Looks like it would result in a broken finger.

silentkilla
12-02-2012, 07:30 PM
That is the most impractical way to reload an AK I've seen.
The hammer is back when he reloads. You would almost have to have bionic fingers to charge the bolt if it were down. Looks like it would result in a broken finger.

YOU ARE CORRECT SLAM i bet you would get a broke finger

sadman
12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
The mag release is thoroughly stuck. It is not budging at all.

How hard is it to remove the pin from the mag release lever and the more important question, how hard is it to put back together.

Pushing the mag release and hitting the magazine isn't getting me anywhere.

Trying to move the magazine seems to just move inside of the engaged mag release and really isn't budging in any direction.

Just to reiterate, the mag release lever is not budging at all. Even if I pry at it with a wooden dowel it does not budge.

Am I correct in thinking that unless the mag release is moving that this magazine isn't coming out?

12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
This thread is depressing.
What sort grown man can shove an AK mag in the well and then not figure out how to remove it?
Perhaps the worst is dragging it out over time trying to get other members to provide instruction....
Just beat the F@#%$ mag out of the well and be done with it.

Geeze..........

FunkyPertwee
12-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Hit the mag release with a hammer!

It WILL move!

slamfire51
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
This thread is depressing.
What sort grown man can shove an AK mag in the well and then not figure out how to remove it?
Perhaps the worst is dragging it out over time trying to get other members to provide instruction....
Just beat the F@#%$ mag out of the well and be done with it.

Geeze..........

I love your not so subtle replies.
Kinda like your screw vs rivet replies. :laughingtohard:

silentkilla
12-05-2012, 07:34 PM
i'd be so godda!#@$ embarrassed now i don't think i would ever post here again if this were to happen to me

deth502
12-06-2012, 06:41 AM
i'd be so godda!#@$ imbarassed now i don't think i would ever post here again if this were to happen to me

imagine how much worse he would feel if he couldn't even spell "embarrassed"

12-06-2012, 07:01 PM
:dizzy: lol

silentkilla
12-06-2012, 07:19 PM

crap i knew i had it right the first time

silentkilla
12-06-2012, 07:21 PM
better??? lol

sadman
12-07-2012, 01:28 PM

Sure you did :joker:

slamfire51
12-07-2012, 01:44 PM

No point in correcting your spelling after you've been busted. :tooth:

silentkilla
12-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Sure you did :joker:

you just get that mag out and don't worry about what i do dummy

sadman
12-07-2012, 02:55 PM
you just get that mag out and don't worry about what i do dummy

Who you calling dummy. Please :violent085:

And...uhhh...my magazine is still stuck as hell

Ezra Coli
12-07-2012, 06:32 PM
This sad thread has drug even me out of the ether. Come on man, get a hammer and hit the mag like you mean it. If you cant get the mag out, you sure as hell won't be able to take down a mag release lever.