PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Tools ?

Richard Simmons
12-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I know the blade on these is just a mall part of the varied and numerous features but thought this forum might still be the correct one to discuss them. Who here carries, has, uses a Multi-tool and which one? Was thinking yesterday that a multi-tool in my truck might come in handy so started browsing the different models available. So far I'm leaning towards a Leatherman, maybe a Wave or a Rebar. IIRC Leatherman was one of the first makers to get onboard with the whole multi-tool concept so was figuring they might know what they are doing after all these years. Anyway, I'd love to hear from other members as to what you carry and why you chose your particular model over others.

For me presonally, I'm wanting something to keep in my truck for those times when you need something that a small tool box would normally have, it's there for the using but unlike a small toolbox it's easy to slip on your belt and take with you should you need to leave your vehicle. TIA

cevulirn
12-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd like to add one to my kit. Good ones can be pricy though, and I only have so much $$$ to go around. I'm somewhat inclined towards gerber, as they have the slide out pliers, as opposed to the flip inside out pliers. Makes it easier on the hands, if I recall leathermans correctly.

El Laton Caliente
12-02-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm carrying a Leatherman Skeletool right now. I need to buy the bit kit & mole/belt pouch for it. The blade is combo serrated and standard, good steel and very sharp. The weight is very light and comfortable to carry clipped in a pocket. The pliers aren't as good as my large belt pouch Gerber, but work for many applications. It does not have the file and other tools I have on the Gerber, but I only used them for sharpening fish hooks. The driver bits go further with me than the additional "blade" tools.

BTW, I broke the can opener on the Gerber. I find a P38 easier to carry than the larger multitool. The Skeletool has a bottle opener that sees a lot of use...

El Laton Caliente
12-02-2012, 10:08 AM
I'd like to add one to my kit. Good ones can be pricy though, and I only have so much $$$ to go around. I'm somewhat inclined towards gerber, as they have the slide out pliers, as opposed to the flip inside out pliers. Makes it easier on the hands, if I recall leathermans correctly.

Depends on the model, you can even get vise grips from Leatherman.

I got my Leatherman Skeletool out of a pawn shop for $20 OTD; it is a $80 multitool...

Helen Keller
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
I use a Leatherman WAVE .
does just about anything i need if im on the fly.

Richard Simmons
12-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks to all. Decided to go with the heavy duty ST300. I like it.