PDA

View Full Version : Hi, im new to the site and my rear trunion is loose. Please help

greenriver762
12-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Hello everyone im new here and would like some advise on my rifle please. So its a romy G kit on a nodak spud economy receiver that a friend of a friend built a few years back and hardly ever shot. So I aquired the rifle about 1 1/2 yrs ago and shot roughly 2500rds through her and never had one malfunction ever. The other day i was cleaning her and noticed the rear trunion is a bit loose when I move the end of the stock. Could the rivet holes be opening up from abuse? Could the rivets be wearing down? Most of all is this safe to keep shooting? Would getting a recoil buffer prevent this in the future after I fix it?Thanks

El Laton Caliente
12-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the board!!!

Humm, I'm guessing the rivets were not quite tight enough to began with. I've never heard of heat treating problems with a Nodak and that is what would cause the holes to open up.

I'd suggest getting your friend to help you re-rivet the trunion.

The buffer would help some, most here will suggest Blackjack...

greenriver762
12-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Thank you and thanks for the advice man

El Laton Caliente
12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
There are some here that are better build trouble shooters, I'm sure they will be along also...

With the good rep that Nodak has, I'm just inclined to blame the rivets first. I wonder if he used the counter sink rivets... see: http://www.k-var.com/shop/Rivets-sp-34

imanaknut
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I have to vote for the rivets not being set properly to begin with. Tight enough at the start, but not tight as they should have been. You might be able to reset the current rivets but the right tools would be required, and a backing buck needed to solidly support the receiver while you set the rivets on the other side. A work bench would not work as any vibration removes a lot of force from the hammer impact on the rivet.

Short of having the correct tools, it you don't mind having rivets with a non-round head, you could just hit them a couple of times with a good size hammer or mallet. Again the other side would have to be supported. I thing using a piece of steel between the rifle and a garage floor should be enough to allow you to tighten the rivets with a hammer. Obviously you will have to reset both sides even though the metal backing on the non-hit side will do some setting, a good hammer whack will still be needed.

The other way is to drill out the rivets and install new ones. In my opinion that would be the second step if just resetting with a hammer doesn't work.

Good luck.

greenriver762
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and advise. My friend looked at it and it was from not having a buffer and the back of the trunion was all smashed up from the bolt and I never noticed it unfortunatly. Stupid me. He told me he is going to fix it and basically see if he can smash or grind the rivets because one of the rivets was starting to sink through the receiver and get all distorted. Worse comes to worse if he has no extra rivets or fix the current ones, then I buy them and he said he would install them. Good thing I didnt go shooting today and I examined her. That could have been bad I think.