PDA

View Full Version : want to buy a ruger 10-22 for my kid

dishman
09-03-2010, 01:19 PM
hello everyone,
looking to buy a 10-22 for my boy,i would prefer s/s syn. but not stuck on that.
checked out gunbroker and after the shipping and ffl fee's,may as well go to walmart.
looking for used but in good condition,and of coarse reasonable price.
any pa. sellers,could save on shipping/ffl if your kinda local to upper bucks.
thanks

O.S.O.K.
09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
If you don't find a used one, walmart actually has a good price on these.

dishman
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
my walmart does not sell firearms anymore :-(

Krupski
09-03-2010, 06:07 PM
hello everyone,
looking to buy a 10-22 for my boy,i would prefer s/s syn. but not stuck on that.
checked out gunbroker and after the shipping and ffl fee's,may as well go to walmart.
looking for used but in good condition,and of coarse reasonable price.
any pa. sellers,could save on shipping/ffl if your kinda local to upper bucks.
thanks

Couple questions:

How old is your son? Has he ever shot a firearm before?

If he's new to guns and in the 9 to 12 year old range, I would heartily suggest a Savage CUB rifle. It's single shot, bolt action and takes anything 22 (CB caps, 22 shorts, 22 long, 22 LR).

It got a floating barrel, a peep sight, a nice trigger, cock-on-open and it's wicked accurate. It's also nice and light, and well balanced.

My now 14 yo son has quite a bit of his own stuff (an AR-15, a Kel-Tec Sub 2000, a 20 GA shotty, a Ruger 10/22 and of course the Cub). He still tends to take the Cub shooting the most. He LOVES that rifle.

The CUB is also VERY well built, simple in design and super easy to clean.

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/medium/cub.png

The new ones have the Savage "Accu-Trigger" which is ultra nice. Unfortunately, my son's CUB is an older model with a standard trigger. I've used the Accu-Trigger on a 10FP .308 Savage rifle and it's SWEET... I suppose the accu trigger on the new CUB makes it even nicer.

Lastly... they're inexpensive... something like $180 if I recall.

There's my 2 cents......

deth502
09-03-2010, 06:44 PM
where you at in pa?

i agree wal mart is prob your best bet. if your local one dosent sell them anymore, try the next one. theres a walmart every 400', so it shouldnt be difficult. my local one also stopped selling firearms, but i can still travel about a half hour either way on 61 to one that still does.

as far as going used, 10/22s are funny, they are the only gun ive ever seen where the going rate for a used one is 3-4x the cost of a new one. i firmly believe that one could make a living for oneself buying 10/22's. using them for a while, then reselling them.

now, if your not set on a 10/22, a few years back i picked up a savage mark ii (i think??) bolt action 22 with a 10 round mag. at the time it was $105 with tax and transfer, and with a $7 sling, an extra mag, and a $20 barska fixed 4x scope and ring combo, i had my squirrel gun COMPLETE for well under $150.

which is another thing to consider. i got it because its not legal in pa to hunt with a semi auto (except for a shotgun). idk if thats an issue for you or not, but if he would want to take it small game/groundhog hunting one day, he would not be able to do that with a 10/22.

old Grump
09-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Another vote for not buying a 10/22 for a first gun. Remington, Savage, CZ or even a Marlin lever action all with iron sights. Make him learn marksmanship first before you start adding the toys. Nothing like a mess of small bore rifle targets and a little friendly competition with the old man to get the juices rolling and learning the basics now will pay dividends no matter what you get later. Don't forget the reactive targets, balloons, water filled bottles, a tin can, a vitamin pill bottle filled with sand will take multiple hits and keep on bouncing.

Blacksmith
09-03-2010, 06:59 PM
My 2 cents is find a wal mart that sells them and stick with the 10-22. There is allot of nice 22’s out there. But the 10-22 is a classic and a great rifle that he will enjoy for the rest of his life.
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af204/Blacksmith66/DSC02214.jpg
As you can see. I prefer the wood stocks. :)

deth502
09-03-2010, 07:22 PM
where you at in pa?

sorry, apparently too stupid to see "upper bucks" in the op.

maybe abpt1 or alice in chains can help you find a wallys in your area that still carry firearms.

aliceinchains
09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Another vote for not buying a 10/22 for a first gun. Remington, Savage, CZ or even a Marlin lever action all with iron sights. Make him learn marksmanship first before you start adding the toys. Nothing like a mess of small bore rifle targets and a little friendly competition with the old man to get the juices rolling and learning the basics now will pay dividends no matter what you get later. Don't forget the reactive targets, balloons, water filled bottles, a tin can, a vitamin pill bottle filled with sand will take multiple hits and keep on bouncing.

Nothing like a marlin lever action. Some good learning here instead of just pulling a trigger.

imanaknut
09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Moved to the correct forum.

Regardless, good to see you did get some replies!

dineenandgary
10-15-2010, 10:44 PM
bump

Crash
10-18-2010, 01:00 PM
It's hard to find a good used standard 10/22 in my area. They are either beat to death or the owner has tacticrap all over it.