PDA

View Full Version : AR-7 rifle...new version?

swampdragon
07-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Anybody have any first hand experience with the Henry version of the old Ar-7?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/b07ce8ce.jpg

I fired the old version when I was a kid but have not seen this updated rifle.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

old Grump
07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Youngest brother bought one just before he got married around 38 years ago. He still has it but I don't know how much he shoots it anymore. I suspect his kids shoot it more and his grandson is likely to end up with it in a couple more years. Mostly shooting rats and snakes in the swamp land near where he lives and in his back yard in North Carolina. Especially after hurricanes.

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Youngest brother bought one just before he got married around 38 years ago. He still has it but I don't know how much he shoots it anymore. I suspect his kids shoot it more and his grandson is likely to end up with it in a couple more years. Mostly shooting rats and snakes in the swamp land near where he lives and in his back yard in North Carolina. Especially after hurricanes.

LOL...Yes Sir.
I lived in NC for 7 years.
Water moccasins were crazy after hurricanes.

I got to shoot a friend's AR-7 back in probably 1970's sometime.
This Herny version however is something I've never seen in person.
I'd like to pick one up.

I'd prefer a Ruger 10/22, but I like the collapsible ability of this thing.
May be worth a couple hundred bucks to check it out.

chiak47
07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Here is a Charter AR-7 not far from me for $125. I have never shot one but they look interesting enough.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/42369

Bluedog
07-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I have one .22 that I care about. It is a .22 conversion upper for my ARs. I am going to get an AR-7, because even though it may not be a better gun than my .22 AR15, it certainly can do things that my AR cannot do.

Bluedog
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
The new AR7 is improved in several ways. The stock will now hold three mags (one in the magwell +2) and there is a scope rail milled into the receiver. Also the original was very ammo sensitive.

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 02:32 AM
The new AR7 is improved in several ways. The stock will now hold three mags (one in the magwell +2) and there is a scope rail milled into the receiver. Also the original was very ammo sensitive.

"This" is why I'm interested in the newer Henry version...instead of the older Charter version. (No offense Chiak47)
:thumbsup:

As far as that rail goes however.....
If you put an optic on it, can it still be stowed in the butt stock?
I would assume no, but I have no idea.
May have to install throw levers on an optic and carry it separately in your pack?

63DH8
08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I had a Henry AR-7. It wasn't reliable. It had several failure to feeds in every magazine I tried. I mentioned it on-line in the Henry forum on this site. Next thing I know, I was contacted by the Company president, asking for my mailing address. With-in a few days, I received a box in the mail to send the rifle to the company. Shortly afterwards, I got it back. It never had a failure to feed since. Henry's customer service is top notch!

Oh! The other thing I didn't like was the front sight slid around in the mount. However, because I use a scope, I didn't really care.

swampdragon
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I had a Henry AR-7. It wasn't reliable. It had several failure to feeds in every magazine I tried. I mentioned it on-line in the Henry forum on this site. Next thing I know, I was contacted by the Company president, asking for my mailing address. With-in a few days, I received a box in the mail to send the rifle to the company. Shortly afterwards, I got it back. It never had a failure to feed since. Henry's customer service is top notch!

Oh! The other thing I didn't like was the front sight slid around in the mount. However, because I use a scope, I didn't really care.

So the first one sucked but what did they fix?
How long ago was this?
Was it a prob they corrected in later production or do you know?

63DH8
08-15-2010, 01:15 AM
So the first one sucked but what did they fix?
How long ago was this?
Was it a prob they corrected in later production or do you know?

Depends on how you define "sucked". It shot well when it fed. It looked like the factory worked on the mouth of the chamber. When I got it back, it looked like they chamfered the chamber. When I got it back, it shot as well as when I first got it, but hand feeding it one round at a time. It was no tack driver, but it never was intended to be one. It'll pop squirrels and rabbits at ranges that you realistically expect to hunt those critters.

Blacksmith
08-15-2010, 01:57 AM
It’s not a bad configuration. and it’s a "Henry".
:think:

Maser**
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
What a cool idea. I might see about getting one of those.

awp101
08-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I have no personal experience with the AR7 and it's clones or Henry itself but I CAN say Henry's service is second to none.

Every post I've seen regarding Henry CS has had a happy (and timely) ending unless the customer was simply not going to be made happy unless Henry took everyone from the factory out and shot them. Many times they've gone over and above what the customer asked for (such as sending out metal barrel bands to replace the plastic ones on the lever .22s for free when the customer merely asked if such a thing was available).

For a time Henry was a sponsor of Rimfire World forum on the old board. There were times questions were asked or concerns brought up that didn't seem to get answered. When I asked the posters about them, it turned out Anthony (one of the owners) had contacted the poster via PM and solved the issue (if there was one).

If I wasn't so dedicated to my Browning BL22, one of the Henry lever .22s would be on my short list and I may end up with one of these AR7s one day anyway...

AKTexas
08-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I have no personal experience with the AR7 and it's clones or Henry itself but I CAN say Henry's service is second to none.

Every post I've seen regarding Henry CS has had a happy (and timely) ending unless the customer was simply not going to be made happy unless Henry took everyone from the factory out and shot them. Many times they've gone over and above what the customer asked for (such as sending out metal barrel bands to replace the plastic ones on the lever .22s for free when the customer merely asked if such a thing was available).

For a time Henry was a sponsor of Rimfire World forum on the old board. There were times questions were asked or concerns brought up that didn't seem to get answered. When I asked the posters about them, it turned out Anthony (one of the owners) had contacted the poster via PM and solved the issue (if there was one).

If I wasn't so dedicated to my Browning BL22, one of the Henry lever .22s would be on my short list and I may end up with one of these AR7s one day anyway...

The Henry .22 lever action was my son's first choice for his first rifle.He has greatly improved his shooting skills with this rifle.

Bluntforce
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
I bought one in 2003. The buttplate does need to be taped for it to float. I haven't shot it much.

I bought three 15 round magazines for from Sportsman's Guide. I don't remember if I tried them yet.

It does not have these recent enhancements on it. It's plain black and has had maybe three eight round magazines through it.

I'm still working on killing something with all my C&Rs I bought three years ago and then doing the same with the half dozen new toys I bought in as many months. So many vermin, so little legal time to kill them in.

swampdragon
08-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I really like the idea of the Henry for it's collapsible ability.

But I really like this 10/22 tactical rifle too.
It's a tough choice.
The Ruger sure seems accurate!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Swampdragon/3f5b8e49.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZuQv52BrSU

63DH8
08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
If you're in for the accuracy, go for the Ruger. If you want compactness, there is a stock for the Ruger that has a quick release for the barrel. If you want a rifle that floats, I'd go for the Henry.

http://www.southernhuntingsupplies.com/butler_creek_ruger_10_22_packer_stock_system.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=857626

Blacksmith
08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
The Henry .22 lever action was my son's first choice for his first rifle.
I had one of those. Great rifle.
My dad is too old to shoot anything else, so I gave it to him. I sure do miss it.