PDA

View Full Version : Al Pacino's Scarface machine gun up for auction

Gunreference1
09-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Al Pacino's Scarface machine gun up for auction

The machine gun that Al Pacino used in the 1983 film Scarface and which his character referred to as "my little friend" is expected to fetch £100,000 at auction.

Published: 5:30PM BST 03 Sep 2010

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01708/al_1708082c.jpg

The Hollywood star, who played Tony Montana in the gangster movie, was a method actor and insisted his weapon was the correct weight – so he used a real M-16A1 machine gun.

In the film, he said the line "say hello to my little friend" before killing four rival gunmen with it.

At the time the weapon was a live firing fully automatic machine gun and grenade launcher. It was also wielded by Arnold Schwarzenegger in the 1987 film Predator.

Following the death of actor Brandon Lee, who was accidentally shot by a live round fired from a pistol on a film set in 1993, the US banned automatic weapons in filming.

As a result Pacino's weapon was retired and was privately bought from the props company that owned it by collector Kevin Martin 12 years ago.

It has since been recast and made perfectly safe and is now coming up on general sale for the first time

The sale is being held by RM Auctions in Indiana, US on Saturday.

A spokesman for RM Auctions said: "The gun comes with letter of authenticity from the weapons coordinator on Scarface.

"It is one of the most recognisable props in film history, certainly the most recognisable gun in film history with its very own often imitated catchphrase."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7980025/Al-Pacinos-Scarface-machine-gun-up-for-auction.html

Steve

HDR
09-04-2010, 08:03 AM
It has since been recast and made perfectly safe and is now coming up on general sale for the first time

Anyone know what does recast or made perfectly safe means?

As the price is £100,000 we can probably guess what "perfectly safe" means....:coffee:

deth502
09-04-2010, 08:06 AM
"made perfectly safe" = "made useless"

filthy phil
09-04-2010, 08:16 AM
"made perfectly safe" = "made useless"

but "once a mg, always a mg"

deth502
09-04-2010, 08:37 AM

only when it suits them. you can do shit like that when you make the rules up as you go.

the atf might as well just make up a fucking ruling "because i said so" and put it on the books and make it official. its what theyve been going on anyway.

Penguin
09-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Following the death of actor Brandon Lee, who was accidentally shot by a live round fired from a pistol on a film set in 1993, the US banned automatic weapons in filming.

I did not know that they no longer used real full auto guns any more. Is this true or made up by some news paper that doesn't really know?

awp101
09-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Say 'Hallo!' to mah leetle frien'!

:jump:

AK-J
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I did not know that they no longer used real full auto guns any more. Is this true or made up by some news paper that doesn't really know?

I vote option "B".

aliceinchains
09-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Anyone know what does recast or made perfectly safe means?

As the price is £100,000 we can probably guess what "perfectly safe" means....:coffee:

Recast would be melting it down and recasting it. That makes no sence.

bgummer
09-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Sounds like nonsense, UK papers are all like the Enquirer/Weekly World News supermarket rags.

Gunreference1
09-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Place your bids!

http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AF10&CarID=r2069&fc=0

Steve

mriddick
09-04-2010, 10:32 PM
If it's been "recast" so the receiver is solid, can it really be considered the same gun Al Pacino fired in the movie?

Penguin
09-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't think you would consider it the same gun.:oh:

tank_monkey
09-05-2010, 04:31 AM

What a load of SHIT! Doesn't anyone see how stupid this ignorant comment is? considering how many shoot em ups have been filmed in the U.S. SINCE 1993?!?!?! Being in Kalifornistan, I've been on the set of several movies since 1993 where people were shooting full auto guns. Heck just last week, I visited a buddy who was filming his own independent film, and he had full auto guns blasting away in a mountain scene. Damned British newspapers who are full of shit. I am also familiar with this sale. They are actually selling the faux GRENADE LAUNCHER mounted onto a FAKE M16, launchers which was built for movies BEFORE Cobray started making their CM203 37mm launchers. Only four were made and they were used in PREDATOR (with Arnold) and HEARTBREAK RIDGE. Since then everyone either uses the real M203 or the Cobray 37mm launchers. The gun that is being auctioned off is a cast (I mean solid cast) copy of an M16A1 (but one of the Model 715 variants with the Brass deflector, referred to amongst my circles as 'the Canadian A1 Upper receiver'. So even the gun that is solid cast and sold with the unregulated flare launcher is incorrect since the live one that fired in the film was a real M16A1 (with no brass deflector). The original M16A1 used in Scarface was sold by Colorado Title II Dealer Dan Shea to a private party in 1999.

UncleMike
09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
The Gun didn't sell!
Apparently the reserve wasn't met.
Mike

Partisan1983
09-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I call FAKE !!!!

Yea, and I have a recast that's perfectly safe now, that was used by the Hottie Lea Thompson in Red Dawn.

HDR
09-05-2010, 10:25 PM

Scarface was made in 1983.