PDA

View Full Version : need some advice from the board

l921428x
12-21-2012, 02:18 AM
in a few hours i will be meeting with a lady that just received her ga wcp. this is something she has been wanting to do for a while and has finished her goal. for reasons that will not be mentioned on the board, know i owe this woman alot. she litrally save my ass a few years ago. i know she is going to ask me about a handgun. the last time we had this conversation was more than a year ago. at that time she wanted some type of pistol and had been steered in the wrong direction as far as make/model. i am going to recommend a revolver in the .357 mag. this way there are not to many things to worry about, mags, ftf, fte, etc, etc., plus she can use .38 spec ammo to learn with. ruger is wanting a mint for the lcr and smith is wanting 450 for a j frame cc revolver in.38 spec. she can, could a week ago, buy a auto for this, i need suggestions.
THANX.

opps wrong forum sorry.

Gunreference1
12-21-2012, 03:52 AM
I moved this to a more appropriate forum.

Steve

TEN-32
12-21-2012, 08:53 AM
I couldn't be happier with my LCR. I have a few Smiths, they are nice too. Even Taurus wheel guns aren't bad for the money.

Schuetzenman
12-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Is this going to be a snubbie for CCW or a 4"? If it's a snubbie and .357 mag. don't get her full power magnum ammo. She will not want to shoot the weapon it will kick so bad. Stick with .38 spl. ammo. Revolvers, even small ones aren't so small due to cylinder diameter. Then again she being a woman will be carrying a purse so that helps in concealment.

As mentioned Taurus is OK. If she's not likely to shoot it much you might also look at a Rossi revolver.

Richard Simmons
12-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Plenty of used S&W, Ruger and Colt wheelguns on the market but prices have been trending higher for these for quite awhile especially, in the case of S&W if they don't have the internal lock. For a woman or first time handgunner .357 might be more of a looser than winner with the heavier recoil, report and muzzle flash so with that in mind I would not pass up a good deal on a .38 special just because it won't take the larger magnum.

If she's going to purse carry versus on her person you have a little more lattitude with regards to weight and size such as a K frame S&W with 2" or 3" barrel might work well in a purse or vehicle console over the J frame you'd be looking at for carry on her person.

Really it boils down to how she intends to carry and then finding something that fits her hand, may need aftermarket stocks and feels right for her. The newer .327 Magnum may be another option to look at.

NAPOTS
12-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I bought a .357 mag for my wife. She practices with .38s just fine but it is loaded with .357 mag should the need arise.

l921428x
12-21-2012, 12:39 PM
thanks guys.

5.56NATO
12-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, with magnum rounds one shot and you're deaf for a few hours, more shots and it may be permanent. Few people are going to be in a situation where their assailant will wait while they put on hearing protection.

cevulirn
12-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, with magnum rounds one shot and you're deaf for a few hours, more shots and it may be permanent. Few people are going to be in a situation where their assailant will wait while they put on hearing protection.

Personally, I would be fine with .38

ready
12-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I always recommend .38 revolvers as a CCW for people who aren't going to practice the steps to keep a SA handgun up and running.

1 Patriot-of-many
12-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I bought a charter arms .38 for my wife for christmas when it was on sale at Cabela's for $399 http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Lavender_Lady_38_53840.asp
The thing is tiny and super light.