PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec RFB

RCS
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
So, I was browsing the world of .308 rifles today and came across this (I have before, but today it seemed to click with me) somewhat new RFB rifle from Kel-Tec. I like the Kel-Tec pistols (I'm pretty happy with my mom's P-32 and my wife plans to pick up a P-3AT when she gets her permit to carry), but I've never gotten into the rifle line they produce. I'm a big fan because it takes FAL magazines (Metric only, though--does this mean they're rare?) and it has a 18" barrel while still coming in at 32" OA. Now I wanted to go to the most unbiased forum about guns I could find and you all take the cake on this.

What do you all think of this carbine?

El Jefe
09-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Looks damned interesting to me. A little spendy tho.

The Kel-Tec RFB is a handy, reliable, and accurate bullpup rifle that packs the full power of the 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. It can fire any 7.62x51 or .308 Winchester ammunition reliably. The design is innovative, yet simple enough to work dependably. As of this writing, the retail price is $1880 US, and they are bringing that much, as demand is still outrunning the supply. However, it is a fine carbine, and there is nothing else like it on the market. It is a quality design, built with quality materials, and built in the USA. I like it.

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-RFB.htm

RCS
09-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I read some new info on it; seems that they haven't produced more than 1,000 of them and some people are noting problems in the rifles with serial numbers well into 600.

I do believe this is something that should be camped on until at least serial number 2500.

:martinismiley:

El Jefe
09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I read some new info on it; seems that they haven't produced more than 1,000 of them and some people are noting problems in the rifles with serial numbers well into 600.

I do believe this is something that should be camped on until at least serial number 2500.

:martinismiley:

No surprise I suppose, it is a Kel-Tec. Too bad Colt or Bushmaster wouldn't produce something like this. In the price range this rifle resides, it should be durable and dependable.

RCS
09-05-2010, 12:44 PM
No surprise I suppose, it is a Kel-Tec. Too bad Colt or Bushmaster wouldn't produce something like this. In the price range this rifle resides, it should be durable and dependable.

I hear you, I actually thought it could be something that was worth the cash.

Anyone have anything to add?

Zoff12
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I WAS saving to get one but with the ecomomy the way it is and Bambam being in charge... figured I had enough guns and needed other things. If the price comes down and the ecomomy gets better... then... maybe.

mriddick
09-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I'm a big fan because it takes FAL magazines (Metric only, though--does this mean they're rare?)

Metric FAL mags are the most common and the cheapest available. As for the rifle I've heard of quite a few issues with them although most seem to like them so I guess the issues are mostly minor.

RCS
09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Metric FAL mags are the most common and the cheapest available. As for the rifle I've heard of quite a few issues with them although most seem to like them so I guess the issues are mostly minor.

Thanks for answering my question. The KTOG (Kel-Tec Owners' Group) is peppered with malfunctions due to the machining and weak parts, but they seem to be fixed with a call to the Kel-Tec's Customer Service, as well as a sent-in rifle for maintenance.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=499

Penguin
09-05-2010, 06:07 PM
To me it looks like an interisting design though with the price tag they want I am probably not going to get one any time soon. I am as of yet to see one in a gun store around here too. So that puts are real damper on it when you can't pick one up and see how it feels.

Rumor mill is they aren't as relible as they should be though I am as of yet to hear a first hand report of a problem and haven't heard any specifics on what the troubles are.

Right now I am on wait and see how it turns out mode.

NewbieAKguy
09-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm hoping they get all the kinks worked out too. I'm pondering selling/trading off my ptr91 and all associated accessories I have for it for a rfb, IF things get figured out. I'm also hoping they figure out a way to either insulate or cover the "cheek piece" with something insulated so won't have to worry about face getting hot during rapid fire. No, not for combat per se, more for competition or something......I'd love to run one in a 3-gun :D.

RCS
09-05-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm definitely waiting for a higher serial number.

Surly
09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
I have one and I've had no problems with it. It's a good shooter too.

videodon
09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
I held one at the shop. Pretty neat. I have a Kel-Tec PMR-30 on order right now.

RCS
09-06-2010, 11:09 AM
I held one at the shop. Pretty neat. I have a Kel-Tec PMR-30 on order right now.

I like the PMR--especially the automatic one with the stock. Not really sure I'd want to waste the money on it, but it would still be neat to have.

Penguin
09-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Cool good to know thanks.

RCS
09-07-2010, 06:47 AM

I apologize, I didn't see this post yesterday. Fill me in, what's the estimated amount of rounds you put through it? Any hiccups? Just trying to make this thread a reference point, is all. :)

Bluedog
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
The crazy thing about the whole FAL mag is that now that some manfs. are settling on the AR10/ DPMS pattern mags, and Magpul has a Pmag out for under $20, it seems that RRA, Kel-tec, and a few others should just go that route. FAL Mags WERE under $10 each not too long ago, but those days are gone forever.

Partisan1983
09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
The crazy thing about the whole FAL mag is that now that some manfs. are settling on the AR10/ DPMS pattern mags, and Magpul has a Pmag out for under $20, it seems that RRA, Kel-tec, and a few others should just go that route. FAL Mags WERE under $10 each not too long ago, but those days are gone forever.

Though on the other hand millions upon millions of FAL mags have been made and are still being made today....as for AR10 mags only a few shipping containers of mil-spec quality made ones have been made over the last 50 years......FWIW

Penguin
09-07-2010, 05:42 PM

Any idea if Magpull has plans to make a P mag for the M-14?

HDR
09-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Practical range: 1200m 600m

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/rfb/

A 1200m practical range.... :D

Surly
09-11-2010, 08:39 AM
I apologize, I didn't see this post yesterday. Fill me in, what's the estimated amount of rounds you put through it? Any hiccups? Just trying to make this thread a reference point, is all. :)

I've put around 500 plus through it thus far and haven't had anything significant. I had a jam once when it was still new that required me to take it down and clear, since then, nothing. The only down side to this system is not having access to the chamber without dropping the mag. Other than that, it's been worth every cent of the $1700 I kicked out for it...cash, not on a credit card.

RCS
09-12-2010, 07:53 AM
That's neat. Thanks.