PDA

View Full Version : Need milspec closures to repair your web gear?

O.S.O.K.
09-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I ordered a three-pack of these:

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/187714_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=695540

$15 for the three - a good price especially since they really are milspec.

I used several to repair a couple of packs that my oldest son and I took on a 100 mile trek a few years back - the closures that they used on the straps were of poor quality and one of them broke the last day on my son's pack - fortunately, we were only about 1/2 hour from the base camp...

But these are truely milspec and set-up to allow you to put them in place without any sewing needed - and they hold - the design is very good.

Just an fyi. A good, lightweight item to have in your escape pod...

BigDumbGerman
09-08-2010, 12:59 AM
I ordered a "set" thinking I was getting one set. I got three, and that's a good thing. After using them for intended repairs I realized I needed more. The 2" waist belt buckles are now standard on all my packs and are fantastic. Good thing it was a three-pack 'cause I'd have just ordered more anyway. Color is limited to coyote, but Krylon is not.

BDG

O.S.O.K.
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Yep. SPG actually has some good milsurp stuff right now. I ordered a mag pouch carrier and some OD green duty shirts and they were also good buys.

BigDumbGerman
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah. I've got an old woodland MOLLE FLC rig and just scored a five-pack of double AR mag pouches to replace the crappy knock-offs I was quickly wearing out. I also scored a pair of coyote SAW pouches that make great side pouches on my GTFOD pack.

HDR
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
They click.

Schuetzenman
09-09-2010, 05:36 PM
They click.

When one puts them together. When opening they can be opened slowly and quietly.

HDR
09-10-2010, 05:31 AM
When one puts them together. When opening they can be opened slowly and quietly.

When you rest, it is nice to undo the web gear.

There are times when if you need to move out it is a good thing to be very quiet. OTOH, for heavy or light Infantry and especially Mech Infantry it doesn't matter that much; however it is different for nature walkers.

BigDumbGerman
10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I remember how good it felt to pop that pistol-belt open and let it all hang out for a little while! Sometimes it felt like your upper and lower body were different temperatures and you could almost feel the shift between, kinda like taking your boots off for the first time in a while...

Things are different now. Honestly, the arguement about Fastex buckles "clicking" is a lot like the velcro arguement. When you really need to use it, things are so close (or distant) and so fast that it's the last thing anyone-- on either side--is going to think about.

For me, though, it's nice to know that there are still guys who think about stuff like that.

BDG

O.S.O.K.
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
I was just glad to get the parts that I needed to repair my packs for cheap.

I'd been intending to go to REI or similar and get them - and pay a lot more...

HDR
10-13-2010, 05:29 AM

It is closing them, not opening them.

I remember how good it felt to pop that pistol-belt open and let it all hang out for a little while! Sometimes it felt like your upper and lower body were different temperatures and you could almost feel the shift between, kinda like taking your boots off for the first time in a while...

Things are different now. Honestly, the arguement about Fastex buckles "clicking" is a lot like the velcro arguement. When you really need to use it, things are so close (or distant) and so fast that it's the last thing anyone-- on either side--is going to think about.

For me, though, it's nice to know that there are still guys who think about stuff like that.

BDG

Yes it was very nice. I never used the new stuff; we put tape on the old hook stuff. When I lived near Bragg my neighbors told me.

Attention to the finer details?

BigDumbGerman
10-17-2010, 10:26 AM
It is closing them, not opening them.

Yes it was very nice. I never used the new stuff; we put tape on the old hook stuff. When I lived near Bragg my neighbors told me.

Attention to the finer details?

I still teach recruits to get tape crazy. We use OD (well, "FOLIAGE GREEN" now) duct tape. Black electrical tape is cheap and works well too. The nice thing about getting "tape crazy" is that you always have a piece of tape handy if you need it.

HDR
10-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I still teach recruits to get tape crazy. We use OD (well, "FOLIAGE GREEN" now) duct tape. Black electrical tape is cheap and works well too. The nice thing about getting "tape crazy" is that you always have a piece of tape handy if you need it.

Tape holds padding where you need it.. :D

As no one can think of everything; anything one can do to minimize any potential risk is wise.

swampdragon
10-22-2010, 02:10 AM
I ordered a three-pack of these:

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/187714_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=695540

$15 for the three - a good price especially since they really are milspec.

I used several to repair a couple of packs that my oldest son and I took on a 100 mile trek a few years back - the closures that they used on the straps were of poor quality and one of them broke the last day on my son's pack - fortunately, we were only about 1/2 hour from the base camp...

But these are truely milspec and set-up to allow you to put them in place without any sewing needed - and they hold - the design is very good.

Just an fyi. A good, lightweight item to have in your escape pod...

I use those on a lot of my gear too.
I really like them.
You can learn to close them quietly.
The "clicking" is a non-issue.
Snaps and zippers are a lot worse....

BigDumbGerman
10-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I use those on a lot of my gear too.
I really like them.
You can learn to close them quietly.
The "clicking" is a non-issue.
Snaps and zippers are a lot worse....

Yup. I'm learning this too. You just wrap your little shithook around it and squeeze it nice and slow. Li'l hanny soaks up most of the noise.