PDA

View Full Version : First timer New Mak 90

kylestl
12-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Well first timer here. Just thought I'd post a pic of my new mak 90 before I begin to re do it somewhat. No questions for you guys (yet) It will be an on going process but I plan to re-finish the metal with some sort of coat, haven't decided which one yet and get a new stock because like many I hate that "sporter" thumbhole stock. Just going with the ATI mak 90 stock as of right now because of course I have the slant cut receiver. Ok I lied, one question. Will a regular grip bolt fit the mak 90 or will I need to cut it down or anything because the bolt is gone? I am taking it out to the range Thursday. First AK and I am excited to see how it performs. Thanks everyone I look forward to gaining knowledge from you all! Please ignore my floral mattress. 2101

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2101&d=1356514535

El Laton Caliente
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the board!!!

I always like my Chinese AK a nice original bluing... but if pitted a paint is going to cover it better...

Ironwood Designs makes an excellent wood stock set for your MAK90.

Standard Chinese grip bolt will fit, but it has more to do with your choice of replacement stockset than anything.

BTW, who did that to the finish?

buxman66
12-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Very nice! A dura-coat finish would be nice but I'm w/ ELC, I like the blueing and a traditional wood look. To each their own though. Nice score on the MAK and welcome to the forum!

imanaknut
12-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Nice "battle worn" looking MAK-90!!!

If the current grip screw is the one you are talking about, it will be too short for a standard pistol grip. The grip screw in the bush-hole stock is shorter than the one for a standard pistol grip.

Ironwood Designs makes a stock for the slant cut MAK-90. Great company with great wood products.

As for finishing, you might just clean it up and leave it in that weathered look, or do a complete de-rust and rebluing to make it look original, or you can dura-coat it or as I have done, used a ceramic spray paint and bake it. Gives it a hard as a rock finish.

Personally, if that was my rifle I would get an Ironwood Designs stock to fit the angle cut receiver, and find a used pistol grip to match the handguards. I would then try to get as much rust off as possible, then cold blue the whole thing. If that didn't work, I would price having it properly hot-blued and if the price wasn't what I wanted to spend, I would get a can of black ceramic spray paint and have at it.

I do suggest, regardless as to what you do to the outside, run several patches through the bore before shooting it to make sure there isn't any surprises inside. I like Hoppes 9 that I spike with a little ammonia. I would run a couple of wet patches through to make sure everything was clean, then a couple dry followed by one patch soaked in Breakfree CLP. I am always amaze at how much more black comes out with the final wet patch of CLP. Finish with a dry patch and you can now safely take it to a range for a good time.

Enjoy, and please keep us posted as you enter your AK-addiction!

kylestl
12-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Bluing and the wood furniture is my favorite too but for now with my lack of funds I am just going to get an ATI stock and put it on there. I have no idea who did this to the finish, didn't sound like the guy I got it from did it but I didn't ask who he got it from or anything like that. I think for now I am just going to black everything out and then maybe sometime down the road get the wood for it.....or maybe just buy an ak that already has the wood :think:

kylestl
12-27-2012, 02:53 AM
Ok another question, I have the things on the side of the gun for the underfolder. I like the looks of an underfolder but I want to know what my options are. Do you guys know of any good ones out there that don't attach to the rear of the stock? Thanks for the help and input guys. I like the original wood myself but I don't know if I am ready to pay close to 200 dollars to make it look that way at the moment.