PDA

View Full Version : Rail and front trunnion alignment - need advice

frotentoaster
12-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi there, I'm new to posting here, but I've been reading all this good info for awhile now.

I just purchased a new rifle, built from a Maadi kit on a NDS receiver. Until I get this issue resolved, we'll just leave the manufacturer out of it. Here's the problem, the lower rails don't exactly line up with the rails on the front trunnion. I don't have a caliper handy, but they are less than a credit card thickness lower than the trunnion rails. There is a noticeable bump when the action is cycled. What I need to know is, what should I do?

A) heat and bend the rails (if I do this, would I need to worry about messing up the receivers heat treating?)
B) remove material from the trunnion rails top surfaces (Seems like the simple approach, if it's safe)
C) send it back, hope the replacement is better and not worse (this is a last resort)

I am confident about doing the work, just unsure about the best / safest approach to solving this issue. I do not have the tooling to weld in new rails, or that would probably be the best option. I appreciate any and all input!

thanks!

Frotentoaster

jojo
12-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Although I don't really see a problem with it unless it fails to cycle, you should be able to reach thru the magwell with a large flat brass punch and tap the front of the guide rail up to align it with the trunnion. I had a similar situation with a personal build years ago.