PDA

View Full Version : My next/latest project.

L1A1Rocker
07-12-2010, 02:44 AM
It's a 300 Whisper. I've got my form 1 in hand and have a complete M1S heavy barrel carbine kit with the gas port in the pistol position.

So now I need to decide exactly how I'm going to build the silencer on the damn barrel. Planning on cutting the barrel down to 10 inches and having the overtube going back out to a 17 inch barrel length. I've seen some built that had the overtube go all the way back to the barrel nut enclosing the the gas tube and block; but I've also seen some that only go back to the gas block. Not sure which I want to do.

Ok, that is all for now. more posts and pictures to follow. Oh, and any suggestions are always welcomed.

Gunreference1
07-12-2010, 02:59 AM
How are making you ammunition? Are you using .223 cases?

Steve

L1A1Rocker
07-12-2010, 03:22 AM
How are making you ammunition? Are you using .223 cases?

Steve

Yes, I'm using once fired .223 commercial brass. I'm resizing with a small base resizer and chopping them down. Well, actually I'm chopping them down first then resizing and decapping.

I picked up a small chop saw from harbor freight to cut them down with.

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/42300-42399/42307.gif

It's deciptivly big in the picture. The blade is only 2 inches in diameter but it makes a reasonably clean cut. I chuck up a 308 case in the little vice at the correct position. Then slip a 223 case into the 308's mouth, support it with a mini V block and it makes a quick cut.

After that I trim them down to 1.4 IIRC and into the tumbler they go. Next is to resize using the small base 223 dies and decap. Then back into the tumbler they go again.

My next step will be to run them through the 300Whisper dies to neck them down but I have not got that far yet.

L1A1Rocker
07-12-2010, 03:35 AM
Crap, I just saw the build it yourself forum. This is an AR platform rifle so I stuck it here. Mods, feel free to move this as you see fit. Sorry.

AK-Karl
07-29-2010, 02:52 AM
Don't sweat the mispost we all get mixed up some times.

L1A1Rocker
08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Brownells did me dirty. Ordered the tap and die, received the die but not the tap - it's been backordered! Recieved my tubeing Friday and now I'm waiting on the tap and the barrel nut wrench.