PDA

View Full Version : Today just wasn't my day

Moebrown20
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I had some time to get to the range today and get some time in.
It just didn't work out like I planed it. Where to start......
The AR. I was at the 50 yard targets to sight in, on the second shot, this happened:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010024.jpg

The good thing is that it was an easy fix. Next, my first born:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010026.jpg

Now mind you, my spot welds broke and she was just rebuilt. The first 5 shots was a quarter size group at 50Y, the 6th didn't eject cleanly. Afterwards, every few shot would be good then there would be a problem. When I got home, I seen what that problem was:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010030.jpg

It seems I abused her a bit too much.
Now the pistol..... this was suppose to be my zombie killer:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010022.jpg

Just take her to the range, get a few kinks out, bring her home, clean her up and paint....... that wasn't going to happen today. She shoots and cycles, but won't eject the casing.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010043.jpg

Not the easy fix, but I am lucky I spot welded it in, so some time to cut it out and replace the ejector rail.

I hope your day was better.

arcangel
09-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Thats good you got everything worked out dude, the angled forgrip on the AK is new to me but looks sweet. I have one on my AR-10 SASS type rifle. Like it more in prone with bipod it works out a bit better on my groups.

deth502
09-05-2010, 11:11 PM
if it were me, id just mig weld a little more metal onto the tips of both of those and dremmel them out.

RCS
09-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Sorry to hear, Joe. Keep us updated on the fixes.

Also, how do you like that AFG?

deth502
09-05-2010, 11:14 PM
except for the ar. welding wont fix that.

THAT is why i dont like having pull-through's to clean. you wont knock that loose with a pull-through.

F-16 CHIEF
09-06-2010, 12:50 AM
I had a day like that recently. I bought a AK-74 from AIM. One of the Henderson builds I think?

Anyway, 10th round or so, casing ruptures and half sticks in the chambe, other half got ejected. Done for the day.

Still haven't found anyone to get it out. It's in there.

l921428x
09-06-2010, 04:58 AM
I just think I would Kill myself. J/K maybe.
Did the extractor pull through the rim of the shell?

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Thats good you got everything worked out dude, the angled forgrip on the AK is new to me but looks sweet. I have one on my AR-10 SASS type rifle. Like it more in prone with bipod it works out a bit better on my groups.
It works out because it's at the end of the rail to help balance out.

if it were me, id just mig weld a little more metal onto the tips of both of those and dremmel them out.
Good, because you're helping me fix it, lol.
I don't have a mig...... I wish I did sometimes though

Sorry to hear, Joe. Keep us updated on the fixes.

Also, how do you like that AFG?
I like it! It gives me a more comfort grip.
If you have small hands, you have to swap out the A2 grove for the smoove one. The way it's design, It will interfere with rail-mounted accessories. If you need a laser, light, can opener, etc. You would have to modify it.

except for the ar. welding wont fix that.

THAT is why i dont like having pull-through's to clean. you wont knock that loose with a pull-through.
I know, but a hammer will.
It was a 20 minute fix and clean. It's back to normal for another 700 rounds.

I just think I would Kill myself. J/K maybe.
Did the extractor pull through the rim of the shell?
No, it's just not touching the ejector rail on the pistol and the AK is just worn from the thousands that went through it.

I had a day like that recently. I bought a AK-74 from AIM. One of the Henderson builds I think?

Anyway, 10th round or so, casing ruptures and half sticks in the chambe, other half got ejected. Done for the day.

Get a few pics in and maybe I could help.

abpt1
09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Well just let me know if I can help. I will be home all day if you want to come down and rebuild it or try to repair it? I know I could build up that rail a bit with the welder. I will be fireing up the grill later so hell if you just want to come down and hang out that's cool too.
Deth your welcome to come down also!

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Well just let me know if I can help. I will be home all day if you want to come down and rebuild it or try to repair it? I know I could build up that rail a bit with the welder. I will be fireing up the grill later so hell if you just want to come down and hang out that's cool too.

I wish. It was 44 this morning.
I have to move the logs and look for a wood chipper today.
I might sneek to the range to see if the AR is back to normal.

abpt1
09-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Hey I will be up with my f250 next weekend I will take some of that wood off your hands I will check and see if any of my friends have a chipper I can borrow. The ar is fine its just the damn steel case ammo ...when you use that stuff keep the chamber wet dont have to clean it but lube it now and then.

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey I will be up with my f250 next weekend I will take some of that wood off your hands I will check and see if any of my friends have a chipper I can borrow. The ar is fine its just the damn steel case ammo ...when you use that stuff keep the chamber wet dont have to clean it but lube it now and then.

yep... easy fix. Now to work on the ak's

deth502
09-06-2010, 07:50 AM

btdt, broken shell extractors dont work for shit. i tried EVERYTHING to get it out. i went as far as heating a steel case cherry red and driving it up inside the broken shell to try to get on it to remove it. formed the front half of the case perfectly to the inside of the case piece but still didnt help. i had been trying for about 2 weeks. i was about to spend $100 on a chamber reamer just to break the pilot off to try to cut it out, but then..........

heres a trick someone told me, worked perfectly had it out in about a minute.

get a tap that will fit inside the piece of broken casing. find a 1/4" socket that will drive the tap and get a long extention. i had to do this, as it was stuck in a bolt action and i had to go through the receiver, you might get away with just a tap wrench on an ak type gun. anyway, thread it into the broken casing. not deep, your not using it as a nut, just enough to get the teeth of the tap bit into it good. now just slide a cleaning rod down the bore and tap out the tap, which should now have the piece of the broken asing attached to it.

deth502
09-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Deth your welcome to come down also!

im still a carney today. you drove right past on saturday. all home days in elysburg. only one more for the year, thank god, but its the big one. most of the next 4 weeks between set, the fair itself, and tear down, but after that, free time will be more easily attained. dug out all of my rivets friday and got them together so theyre ready to go whenever. are you gong to need a mig for anything? i can grab that if we need it, im just weary of transporting the gas too much.

abpt1
09-06-2010, 08:06 AM
im still a carney today. you drove right past on saturday. all home days in elysburg. only one more for the year, thank god, but its the big one. most of the next 4 weeks between set, the fair itself, and tear down, but after that, free time will be more easily attained. dug out all of my rivets friday and got them together so theyre ready to go whenever. are you gong to need a mig for anything? i can grab that if we need it, im just weary of transporting the gas too much.
I was going to call you when I was going to Knobles but I figured you were working. I thought you might have today off being its a holiday?

SO I bought a second rear Trunion and a set of 5 ballpeen hammers and some hardened punches that took me about 5min to bend all to hell ....32oz hammer has a hell of a wack to to though LOL !

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 09:00 AM
im still a carney today. you drove right past on saturday. all home days in elysburg. only one more for the year, thank god, but its the big one. most of the next 4 weeks between set, the fair itself, and tear down, but after that, free time will be more easily attained. dug out all of my rivets friday and got them together so theyre ready to go whenever. are you gong to need a mig for anything? i can grab that if we need it, im just weary of transporting the gas too much.Yes, I'm gonna need that mig..... I'm gonna your hands with it too. The pistol I will try your approach.

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM
....32oz hammer has a hell of a wack to to though LOL !

About time you got a real hammer!

abpt1
09-06-2010, 09:52 AM
About time you got a real hammer!
Yes I do a real big block smashing hammer!
:thumbsup:

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes I do a real big block smashing hammer!
:thumbsup:

Hey, if you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem!

raxar
09-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I had some time to get to the range today and get some time in.
It just didn't work out like I planed it. Where to start......
The AR. I was at the 50 yard targets to sight in, on the second shot, this happened:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/P1010024.jpg

had the same thing happen a couple times with my SU-16 and that polymer coated stuff, it does tend to ruin the fun.

RCS
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
If I ever get a railed rifle I'll definitely have to look into those AFGs!

matshock
09-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Try a broken bolt- had one that wasn't heat-treated properly and it sheared the 2 lugs next to the extractor about 200-something rounds in. You can carry a spare bolt with you but that won't help you free the busted one any faster.

I ended up hooking the charging handle around my car wheel and leaned back- it came free, didn't hurt the chamber but bent the charging handle.

deth502
09-06-2010, 02:26 PM
lol, its going to be like im moving there.

so, rivet tools, rivets, drill press, spot welder, mig welder, and drill press......so far.

if i cant get down anytime soon, if my dad get the garage cleaned out after the fair, it might be easier to meet at my place. right now its filled with coke and soon to be potatoes.

abpt1
09-06-2010, 02:39 PM
lol, its going to be like im moving there.

so, rivet tools, rivets, drill press, spot welder, mig welder, and drill press......so far.

if i cant get down anytime soon, if my dad get the garage cleaned out after the fair, it might be easier to meet at my place. right now its filled with coke and soon to be potatoes.

Yeah that might be a better Idea ! LOL

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 04:11 PM

Yeah that might be a better Idea ! LOL

So the party is at deth house!!!
We can make some chairs out of the coke & potatoes.

abpt1
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
So the party is at deth house!!!
We can make some chairs out of the coke & potatoes.
Its on Ill bring the spiced rum you bring the salt and vinger !

Moebrown20
09-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Its on Ill bring the spiced rum you bring the salt and vinger !

Okay....
Well today was a bit better.
I got to clean up the yard a little.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/z1020026.jpg

abpt1
09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Okay....
Well today was a bit better.
I got to clean up the yard a little.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39/moebrown20/z1020026.jpg

Nice!

saleen
09-23-2010, 12:45 AM
F-16 chief: That is an exact description of what happened to my DGS build krink years ago except mine only made 6 rounds. It ended up having a headspace that more resembled a spark plug gap! (I think it was around .050) and way on the dangerous side.

I think I'd have the headspace checked on that gun before I shot it again.

Saleen

ATAK, Inc.
09-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Something else that works good for broken shell extraction is an "easy-out" broken bolt extractor. I don't remember the size, but it engages at the shoulder and will get it out in seconds.

swampdragon
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Moe, what kind of stock is on that AK?
Got any other pics?

AKTexas
09-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Got any other pics?

Looks like a Magpul MOE stock.

deth502
09-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Looks like a Magpul MOE stock.

its the special edition magpul MOEBROWN stock.

F-16 CHIEF
10-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Deth502, your idea worked!

Finally got time to look at it. Buddy had a tap and die set. Didn't work until we applied heat, but it did end up working. Thanks for the tip!

deth502
10-10-2010, 07:39 AM
Deth502, your idea worked!

Finally got time to look at it. Buddy had a tap and die set. Didn't work until we applied heat, but it did end up working. Thanks for the tip!

no problem! someone saved my ass with it before, so i figured id pass it along :thumbsup:

Moebrown20
10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Got any other pics?

The front is a utg quad rail with a afg, the rear is a Mako Stock Adapter & MagPul MOE Buttstock with DPMS Recoil Pad.
All of the rails are covered with 6.5" & utg covers. A few had to be modified. It's about 80% complete. I'm thinking about adding a rear rail and replace the AK sights.

shadow65
10-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Why would a cleaning rod knock the case out?
Never mind. I was looking at the AR.:11doh:

imanaknut
10-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Moe, guessing your stuck round in that AR is good old Wolf polymer???? A friend had that happen with his M4gery. It hates that Wolf crap. My SAR-3 will have a polymer coated round stick if I fire a full mag. One of the last will stick. Norinco 84S does it too.

That Wolf polymer is really poor stuff. I would rather put up with the lacquer coating. Never had one of them stick.

Did a check with my 84S. Had a friend catch the cases as they were ejected. You could see the polymer start to smear as the chamber heated up.

I now carry a cleaning rod from a 20 inch barrel AK for knocking out stuck Wolf cases. Can't wait till I run out of that crap.

shadow65
10-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Your thread cursed me!:eek1:
I was at the range sighting in a scope on my bull barrelled AR. I had 3 rounds left. Fired them off, and noticed the last round didn't sound right, but the last one never sounds like the rest when the bolt is held back.
Checked my target and loaded another mag with full powered 5.56.
It wouldn't chamber, Tried again, no go.
I broke the rifle down and there it was. A suib. The bullet just barely made it out of the case. Thank God it didn't make it any farther down the barrel. I certainly would have chambered and fired. Makes me sweat just thinking about it.
I popped it out with a cleaning rod.
I found the case and it still had unburned powder in it.
Wolf Polymer. However, I've shot thousands of rounds without a problem. First squib.
My lesson is pay close attention to what the round sounds like. Better to check the barrel than blow it off.