PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New cup of coffee

old Grump
01-02-2013, 03:02 AM
I can't afford the gourmet stuff and I would have trouble finding any back in the woods where I live unless I get in my van and drive a hundred miles to the big city but I can make ordinary coffee taste like something a little special.

My Hamiltoin Beach Coffeemaker, Little bit of store brand coffee called Value Time and brew it up a little strong. Then a packet of instant hot chocolate mix and a sprinkle of cinnamon in my cup and I am ready. I toast me a couple of English Muffins, slap a little butter on them, real butter, I am in Wisconsin after all, topped with crunchy peanut butter or apple butter. This morning it was apple butter. When the coffee is ready I fill my mug and stir like crazy to get the chocolate mix and cinnamon to dissolve. Not exactly l;ike what you get in a fine restaurant but good enough for me. Turn on my computer and while I wait for it to boot up and my coffee to cool a bit I go out and fill all the bird feeders on my porch. Now while I read the comics and E-mail I look out the window and see my birds having their breakfast and I have mine.

Something for us veterans that I found on another site.

We need to show more sympathy for these people.
* They travel miles in the heat.
* They risk their lives crossing a border.
* They don't get paid enough wages.
* They do jobs that others won't do or are afraid to do.
* They live in crowded conditions among a people who speak a different language.
* They rarely see their families, and they face adversity all day ~ every day..
I'm not talking about illegal Hispanics ... I'm talking about our troops!
Doesn't it seem strange that so many are willing to lavish all kinds of social benefits on illegals, but don't support our troops?

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for any amount, up to and including their life.

binky59
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
And my son follows in our footsteps. I'm proud to have served, and proud to have my son serve.
Hey, somebody has to do it, some of us were just nuts enough to sign up.

btcave
04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Getting things ready for planting. There's a deer in the yard grazing, I'm drinking a wonderful micro-brew and my dog is at my feet. Hope all is well with you all.

old Grump
04-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Tulips finally bloomed today, 84 degrees but tomorrow it will be 49. I'm not ready but my mule and my yard tractor is.

btcave
05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Got a Chihuahua. Looks mighty small next to Cooper (the Lab). Putting up a new deer fence around the garden.

james01
05-24-2013, 03:03 AM
cant sleep, so I thought I'd look around. Watching a movie about WW2. not much else going on.

old Grump
05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Hey little brother glad you found your way back to the good guys. You and Brian ought to swap pictures of your chimichangas or whatever them little 'almost' dogs is called.

btcave
06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Heather and I opened up the Gold Butte fire lookout, here in the Oregon Cascades, this weekend for the rental season . We do this as volunteers with the Sand Mountain Society in collaboration with the US Forest Service. She and I have opened and closed this lookout since it's opening for rental in 2007. It was an 8 year effort of volunteer work to restore this lookout and get it ready for the Forest Service to rent out for $65 a night. Many other lookouts and historic cabins are available for rent on their web sites.

I coated the inside of the woodshed with penetrating oil while she cleaned windows and the interior of the lookout. We had a bear sniffing around Saturday night. Slept like shit but took a bath in Dunlop Lake. Lake of snow melt. Brrrr.

I took some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHqUoRBsXA

btcave
06-06-2013, 07:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43NrEgnOehs

james01
06-06-2013, 09:50 PM
some sad news, this is from james01, if anyone in this room may remember I am old grump's brother, I'm the one that lives in Texas. Old Grump is my older brother, To all his friends in Gunsnet.net old grump passed away today.

btcave
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM
What happened James?

james01
06-07-2013, 08:43 PM
I Sister Jeanne called me yesterday, said Bob wasn't feeling good, stayed in bed all day. when mike came in he went to check on Bob, he told Jeanne Bob was dead. that's all I know.

btcave
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Thanks James. Don't be a stranger. I wish I knew how to contact Hedning. He needs to know his friend died.

Hedning
08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks James. Don't be a stranger. I wish I knew how to contact Hedning. He needs to know his friend died.

Got damn it... I havent been able to reach Bob on email for a good while, and Gunsnet bailed out on me months ago. When I finally managed to log in tonight I search for his latest post and found them old...then I found this..... I feel bad bad bad... I lost my number one pistol mentor there. Im going to miss him.... He was one of the real good guys..

btcave
08-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Hedning, I'm sorry. I didn't have a way to reach you other than here. I so wanted to get you the word of his death. There is a thread I started about his passing on GD. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. You are welcome by my fire here in Oregon anytime. We can go out and shoot and drink good spirits in his honor.

http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.php?25557-Old-Grump-RIP&highlight=grump+rip

Hedning
08-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Thank you bt.... Hell yes, whenever I manage to get my ass over again Ill stop by. Ill bring aquavit and salted moose-heart.

I think a lot of people will miss Old Grump. He had his own way with words and he had brains.

Have a great weekend. Be good, but not too good.....

ltorlo64
08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Thank you bt.... Hell yes, whenever I manage to get my ass over again Ill stop by. Ill bring aquavit and salted moose-heart.

I think a lot of people will miss Old Grump. He had his own way with words and he had brains.

Have a great weekend. Be good, but not too good.....

I still can't believe it. He helped me with my pistol shooting as well. With him gone I don't visit the site as frequently as I did, though I am starting to increase my time again.

cevulirn
09-06-2013, 12:51 AM
We still miss ya Old Grump, always will.

james01
10-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I know you all miss him as we do.

Helen Keller
10-07-2013, 11:31 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

We miss him, not like a child misses a lost toy or doll but how a man feels when he loses one of his tools.

He could us it a million times but, each time he learns something. Once he lost it, he stops learning.

But he respects all he's gained thus far.