PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Guns help

binky59
01-04-2013, 10:08 PM
I just wondered if anyone can give me their opinion on which gallery guns
are the best for the buck?
Thinking of setting up a small gallery for me and my buddies.

N/A
01-04-2013, 10:33 PM
When i think of gallery guns, I think of pump action 22 rifles, such as made by Rossi.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrEswiK_Su4HJtrT_JGIfGPYpGAh8OW KBb3KYUSmU4Dl5VxgGQ

Schuetzenman
01-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Sorry Binky59, General Discussion is for all NON firearms specific topics. General Firearms Forum is the spot for your post.

To the topic I'd think any bolt or semi would also work from Marlins to 10-22's.

old Grump
01-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Look at the Marlin lever action 39A. 26 rounds of 22 shorts, accurate as all get out and noise level is about as low as you can get. I think it would be a great gallery gun.

mushroom
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
I may be laughed at here.. I like the little pumps and levers.. also if you don't mind singles rossi or NEF would be fun.. But.. something to consider is the pellet rifles that are hitting 1000 or a few at up to 1500fps.. alot cheaper and very accurate at short range.. just a thought for cheap fun entertainment with a lot less hassle.. can even set up the gallery in the basement

binky59
01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
I may be laughed at here.. I like the little pumps and levers.. also if you don't mind singles rossi or NEF would be fun.. But.. something to consider is the pellet rifles that are hitting 1000 or a few at up to 1500fps.. alot cheaper and very accurate at short range.. just a thought for cheap fun entertainment with a lot less hassle.. can even set up the gallery in the basement

Wow, I must be having a brain fart. Pellet guns! your right ,that would work out great. Being able
to set a gallery indoors is even better with winter being the way it is around here.
I was really thinking of original .22 pumps they used to use in the amusment park
shooting gallerys, they were tube fed and fired .22 shorts, I've seen a number of
models but wondered which were the best. I'm going to go with pellet. I have about
40ft clear that I can use as a shooting alley.

alismith
01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
If you still want to try the .22's, don't forget about .22 CB/.22 BB caps. They're even quieter than .22 Shorts.

Schuetzenman
01-05-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't see .22 Short as all that available. I know they make them but very few compared to .22 LR. On the pellet gun suggestion, I think that's really quite a good one, pellets should be a lot cheaper than .22 Short or LR rounds.

El Laton Caliente
01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Or the .22 sub sonic...

I like the old pumps, but the pellets would be WAY cheaper on the pocket book. Hanging targets over a 1/4" plate angled to drop the pellet down. Easy set up and "no threat" for neighbors/cops....

Schuetzenman
01-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Along those lines I built a pellet trap target holder decades ago out of scrap 2x4 boards and a piece of 1/4" plywood to back up sheet of about 12 gauge thick sheet metal. This is just under 1/8th inch thick. There was no angling of the sheet metal. The metal is sandwiched between the 2x4 wood frame and the 1/4" plywood backer. Without the plywood I think in time repeated hits by pellets would of broken through the 12 ga. sheet metal. However, the plywood gives it support. The pellets are so soft, virtually pure lead, they splat into little round wafers and fall to the bottom of the frame. I cover the front of the frame with cardboard, this contains the pellet debris. About every 5000 thousand pellets you can empty it out.

The pellet rifle I use is shooting about 750 fps and is a .177 cal. match type single stroke spring piston made by RWS. If you get faster shooting, more hunting grade pellet rifles you might want to go thicker on the gauge metal (6 gauge or less) and perhaps the angling would become necessary. I couldn't say for sure as I've never had a faster shooting pellet rifle to shoot at that old pellet trap. Match grade air rifles are very expensive, makes a .22 LR rifle look cheap by contrast.

http://sportinggoodscentral.com/beeman_at11500.html?ppc=1108&af=1108&searchwords=%7bQueryString%7d&adnumber=%7bAdId%7d&keywordnumber=%7bOrderItemId%7d&keyw=%7bkeyword%7d Here's a big link to Beeman brand of air rifles that are made in Germany.
http://sportinggoodscentral.com/air-guns/beeman-1062-rs2-combo-air-rifle-with-3-9x32-scope_g1428321.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsNam e Link to one of their mid range priced air rifles that comes with a scope. Looks like a pretty good value, says about 1000 fps pellet speed.

ltorlo64
01-05-2013, 04:04 PM
I think the pellet gun is a great idea as well. When teaching my daughter to shoot we used to set up a target in a cardboard box, then I bought a pellet trap, in the garage. It was great fun and I didn't need to do alot of special preparation and no one in the neighborhood knew that we were shooting in the garage.

Schuetzenman
01-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I think the pellet gun is a great idea as well. When teaching my daughter to shoot we used to set up a target in a cardboard box, then I bought a pellet trap, in the garage. It was great fun and I didn't need to do alot of special preparation and no one in the neighborhood knew that we were shooting in the garage.

Yes, nice and quiet. Official air rifle shooting distance is 10 meters or 33 feet for the targets.