PDA

View Full Version : Problem Reloading Lake City .308 Match OFB

az_paul
01-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Folks,

Picked up some .308, LC Match, OFB cases and can't seem to get 'em to size correctly. Using the usual RCBS Full Length Sizing Die and have it maxed out. They've been cleaned and primed. Any thoughts or suggestions sincerely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards from Paul in Arizona

Schuetzenman
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Folks,

Picked up some .308, LC Match, OFB cases and can't seem to get 'em to size correctly. Using the usual RCBS Full Length Sizing Die and have it maxed out. They've been cleaned and primed. Any thoughts or suggestions sincerely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

How do you know they aren't sized correctly? Do you check case length? Can you measure with Digital Vernier Calipers as well as the diameter at the base of the case just above the rim groove? Do you have a case trimmer?

Helen Keller
01-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Do you have any clue what they were fired through??

Solidus-snake
01-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Very similiar to the problems I was having. None of the 7.62X51 Nato brass I had sized were wanting to feed in the chamber of my Ruger GSR, the bolt didnt want to lock up with them.

Turns out, my new bench I had put the press on was thicker than the first, so the throw arm wasnt going down all the way due to it hitting the table, so I wasnt getting full lenth sizing. Got it straightened out, but now I gottta go back and resize a bunch on brass lol

abpt1
01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Please explain
can't seem to get 'em to size correctly too long? too fat? I have some LC match of various years so I can check the size .

too much lube maybe?

O.S.O.K.
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't quite understand the OP. The brass is cleaned and primed but not sized? Or sized but they don't chamber? What exactly is the problem?

az_paul
02-04-2013, 12:26 AM
No matter what I do, the brass will not size. Even ran it through a Small Base Die Set. That helped with some of the brass, but not all of it. I'm thinking it might be the Dillon or that the mounting on the bench is flexing. Gonna try it in a Rockchucker with a thicker bench mount. Any thoughts? I have no idea about the history of this batch of brass.

deth502
02-04-2013, 06:56 AM
the thickness of the bench has nothing to do with it. you can do sizing with the press attached to nothing as long as you can work the lever.

so, again HOW DO YOU KNOW the brass will not size?? is it not chambering in something??

abpt1
02-04-2013, 09:07 AM
IS the shell plate touching the die on the Dillon ? Do you have a FL case Gage ? Does the brass have lines on it like it was shot in a fluted chamber?

res45
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Folks,

Your brass is most likely over expanded fired in an firearm with an over sized chamber as most military 7.62 x 51 weapons are. A rifle with a .308 chamber and the military 7.62 x 51 weapons are totally different as far as chamber dimensions go so the brass expands and stretches more. On some occasion you may find it necessary to size the case in two steps since the brass is thicker and harder to resize.

First resize the case using a standard 30-06 FL resizing die this will size the web area of the case only leaving the neck and shoulder unsized. Next run the case through you normal .308 FL resizing die this will resize the remainder of the case which will be much easier.

I ran into this problem when I converted some LC 7.62 NATO case to 300 Savage. and it worked like a charm.

Schuetzenman
02-07-2013, 09:08 PM
No matter what I do, the brass will not size. Even ran it through a Small Base Die Set. That helped with some of the brass, but not all of it. I'm thinking it might be the Dillon or that the mounting on the bench is flexing. Gonna try it in a Rockchucker with a thicker bench mount. Any thoughts? I have no idea about the history of this batch of brass.

Nato spec can be .008" longer than .308 SAAMI spec cases and chambers. Do you have digital calipers and have you checked the overall case length. Could be all you need to do is trim the brass for length and it will fit.

az_paul
02-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Many thanks to all of you! I will check the OAL. After running them through the small base die set, I tried them in an 03-A3 chamber, and more fit than before, but still well less than half. This has become a challenge. Will report back.