PDA

View Full Version : Letter I sent today - you might want to send one also

bluzjamer
01-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Ok I found this on a local forum and it looked like something I could stand behind and was said better than I could say it. So I cut and pasted it and sent it off to Washington and my State Reps. You can go to the NRA-ILA site and get it done easily right there.
Here is what I used:

Our Humble Beginings

I submit this letter as a registered voter, and concerned citizen to ask that my lawmakers not act in haste in the wake of the tragic events in Newtown, CT. While it certainly may be a dark time in United States history, due in part to some of the recent cowardly acts committed against innocent citizens of our country, I just want to take a moment to remind you of the freedoms that made this country the greatest in the land.

Please allow me to start with the preamble to the United States Constitution: “we the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”

The United States Constitution was written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and has been in operation since 1789. This document serves as the oldest running charter of government in the world today. From a very humble beginning, the new leaders of this country knew that someday United States of America would be the greatest and most powerful country in the land. However, they knew for this to succeed, certain rights needed to be afforded to every citizen of our great nation; our founders knew they needed to guarantee certain personal freedoms. On December 15, 1791 ten constitutional amendments were ratified by three fourths of the states, creating the Bill of Rights. At this time I would like to point out one amendment in particular; the second amendment states, “a well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

At this time you’re probably asking yourself, “what is with the history lesson?” You see, the above shows how vital our freedoms and rights are to all Americans; including our Second Amendment rights. In the words of Benjamin Franklin, “they that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Also, in the words of John Adams “but a Constitution of Government once changed from freedom can never be restored, and liberty lost is lost forever.”

With all being said and considered, I am urging my lawmakers to remember our humble beginnings, and not sacrifice our rights as anti-gun legislation is brought before you. I further suggest it is time to get tougher on our nation’s criminals, rather than place blame on mere objects, as that is only a temporary “fix” to the true problem we face. We have to remember, it is the actions of people, based on their malicious intent that subjects Americans to victimization. For even if there were no firearms, would-be criminals would still find a way to commit their crimes. Moreover, punishing the law-abiding citizen for the actions of others would not only be unconstitutional, but would go against all the principles that have made this nation great.

In conclusion, I would like to thank you for your time and attention to this correspondence. If I can be any help in the future, or you would like to speak to me directly, I welcome your communication.

l921428x
01-07-2013, 03:37 AM
you are and the writter are right. look at the way the amendments were put togeather and in what order. historically you will get a better overview of the true intent.

http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/BillOfRights.html

if you will note most has to do with going to jail and incarceration. then being able to speak out against the king, being able to protect yourself from the king and then not having the kings soldiers stationed in your home. then the rights of the state against a .gov that has not the power to establish national healthcare.

In an truly honest apprasial of the bill or rights, you could onlt see that this document is here ONLY TO PROTECT the average citizen from the KING or the GOVERNMENT.