PDA

View Full Version : what model was this mak? long barrel, stamped, had notch on clip, very nice wood w/thumbhole

soldmyaklikeanidiot
01-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Like an idiot, i sold the one ak type gun that actually shot accurate,,,it had the longer barrel,,but the clip/magazine was special,,it had a little notch at the top so that it would fit
into the gun with had a little bump the notch fit in and would only take those types of clips... the wood thumbhole was extra nice,, im thinking it said nhm or nm on it, but
all the pictures i see of those are not the same as what i had... anyone ever seen one like this? I sold it at the gun show back in like 1994 for 300 due to the fact i couldnt use all my spare clips that fit the mak90. duh... wish i had that one back.

imanaknut
01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Let's get the formalities out of the way first, AKs take magazines. Garands use clips.

The notch you probably are talking about was an attempt to make a rifle that ATF would declare a "sporting weapon" to allow it to be imported into the land of shall not be infringed. They made a bunch of 5 and 10 round mags with the notch in the rear of the mag. They installed a rivet in the rear of the mag well just above the mag release lever to block the insertion of a standard AK mag. Just cut the rivet out if it hasn't already been done.

Long barrel MAK with a milled receiver would be marked MAK-91. If stamped receiver was normally marked NHM-91. An exception would be a Canadian MAK-90 which by their law needed an 18 inch barrel.