PDA

View Full Version : An idea about Wichita kansas's severe drought and coming water shortage.....

Ruskiegunlover
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Wichita is possibly going to be in deep shit here before long if we don't getrain. We get about 40% of our water from wells, and 60% from a resevior built west and north of the city. Cheney resevior is shallow, even in good times parts are only about 4-6 feet deep. Its about 75% dry right now, and getting worse.

My solution? Take local prison labor, along with the guards, and bus them out there. Give them a shovel, and put some guys on wheel barrow duty, and start hand dredgeing out the resevior. DON'T use heavy machinery.....We have prison labor. Maybe it 3 days mandatory, and OFFER 4 or 5 if the inmate WANTS it. Hard labor yes, but when the rains come back it could possibly hold more.

I figure 2-44 inmates all working for 3-5 months could easily dig out the dry areas, maybe another 4-6 feet over time. Add the dirt to rough areas of the state park, or add it to the manmade dam on the south end of the lake. I feel this could be done with a minimum of money, and a minimum of machinery. I know it WON'T be, but really- whats wrong with this idea? Say offer NON-violent inmates the option of doing it 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, and tell them if they are respectful and work hard, and maintain good behavior, it can shorten their sentence by 1/4th. Say for 4 days, with the above, it shortens the sentence by 1/6th.

My thinking is that THIS is the time to be dredging out this resevior, to add more water storage. Its at a historic low.

I fear there is too much common sense in this suggestion for it to ever be carried out.