PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PTS MBUS Flip-up sights???

L1A1Rocker
01-09-2013, 01:05 AM
I've read that any Magpul product not made in the USA is for AirSoft and should never be used on real firearms. This ad claims that these sights are fine for firearm use and that they are manufactured outside the US to avoid US export laws.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magpul-Gen-2-Flip-Up-Sights-MBUS-Black-/121049141908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2f175294

So what do you folks say? Good buy, are will they melt all over my rail?

Schuetzenman
01-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I think any BUIS molded out of plastic is shit! No IFs Ands or Buts about it. By defenition they are your BACK UP SIGHTS that you would deploy if your primary optic sight went down for what ever reason. You can't count on plastic to hold up to a real world combat or even hunting grade environment in my opinion. Why? Because plastic material is always a compromise between hardness and impact strength. To survive a hit it needs to be very soft but that wouldn't work very well for a set of sights. Drooping sights wouldn't be very accurate would they. So they use a glass filled or glass and mineral filled polymer system that is hard and rigid, which is very stiff but has shit for impact strength. Especially it will have shit poor impact strength in cold temperatures, the colder it gets the more brittle it will get. I would be willing to bet that a 20 lb. impact on the raised sight would shear it off like it was a Potato Chip.

No my friend, never trust your sights, (and possibly your life) to plastic. Also remember I make my living molding things out of plastic for coming up on 30 years now. Steel, Iron, Aluminum or brass in that order we trust for sights.

binky59
01-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I've seen two different types and prices on these sights. One set being twice as much as
the other. I can't call it, Schuetzenman is right, I don't think I would consider either on
anything more than airsoft.

L1A1Rocker
01-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I think any BUIS molded out of plastic is shit! No IFs Ands or Buts about it. By defenition they are your BACK UP SIGHTS that you would deply if your primary optic sight went down for what ever reason. You can't count on plastic to hold up to a real world combat or even hunting grade environment in my opinion. Why? Because plastic material is always a compromise between hardness and impact strength. To survive a hit it needs to be very soft but that wouldn't work very well for a set of sights. Drooping sights wouldn't be very accurate would they. So they use a glass filled or glass and mineral filled polymer system that is hard and rigid, which is very stiff but has shit for impact strength. Especially it will have shit poor impact strength in cold temperatures, the colder it gets the more brittle it will get. I would be willing to bet that a 20 lb. impact on the raised sight would shear it off like it was a Potato Chip.

No my friend, never trust your sights, (and possibly your life) to plastic. Also remember I make my living molding things out of plastic for coming up on 30 years now. Steel, Iron, Aluminum or brass in that order we trust for sights.

Schuetz, I appreciate your input but unfortunately it did not address my question. I was not seeking general information on the Magpul polymer backup sights. What I'm looking for is information on weather this foreign made "PTS" sights are on par with the US made sights. Do you have any information on the comparison/contrast of the two?

Thanks

Avanarts
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Magpul USA sights are one thing, but the cheap Magpul sights you see on e-Bay are Magpul PTS which is a whole different deal. PTS products are made for Airsoft and other toys. The box they come in will normally have very small letters on the back that says something like: "Warning, this product was made for training and simulation purposes only."

Unfortunately, the rest of the box just says Magpul in big letters and a lot of people get fooled.

Edit to add: I have Magpul (USA) rear sights on two of my carbines. I haven't had to rely on them but they seem to be of excellent construction. Amazon dot com is a good place to check for reviews of the PTS sights.

One other thing. Magpul does not make a front sight to go on gas blocks due to the heat of the gas block. If you need a flip up sight the Magpul is made to go on a railed hand guard, or you would need to get a metal sight for the gas block.

Schuetzenman
01-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Schuetz, I appreciate your input but unfortunately it did not address my question. I was not seeking general information on the Magpul polymer backup sights. What I'm looking for is information on weather this foreign made "PTS" sights are on par with the US made sights. Do you have any information on the comparison/contrast of the two?

Thanks

Honestly I can only comment based on the one photo you linked in your original post. I can see surface porosity in the sight and I've never seen that on the USA made Magpul sights. They may be using a Polyacetal vs. a Polyamide resin which would be cheaper and more brittle. That resin comonly called Delrin which is actually a specific trade name for Polyacetal plastic resin is usually not as strong as Polyamide, generically called Nylon plastic. This is speculation, I can not find any specific information on what they are made from.

Solidus-snake
01-09-2013, 09:14 PM
No, the PTS sights are made of cheaper quality material. Dont be fooled by what some people tell you.

L1A1Rocker
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Alright folks, I'd say the jury is in. Thank you all for your posts.