PDA

View Full Version : Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

slamfire51
01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Good read.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

nitewatcherXX
01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Great info. Thanks for the post. Guess my next case will be federal :)

Schuetzenman
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I enjoyed the read. I am a little surprised how badly the Russian Bi-Metal bullets tore up the bores of the rifles. I'd assumed the copper plating was sufficient to cushion the steel and prevent wear, evidently that isn't the case. Now we all know that if you shoot 5,000 Zombies it's time to rebarrel the AR rifles when shooting Russian ammo.

nitewatcherXX
01-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I enjoyed the read. I am a little surprised how badly the Russian Bi-Metal bullets tore up the bores of the rifles. I'd assumed the copper plating was sufficient to cushion the steel and prevent wear, evidently that isn't the case. Now we all know that if you shoot 5,000 Zombies it's time to rebarrel the AR rifles when shooting Russian ammo.

They did say that the amount of heat on the barrel did some damage too. Shouldn't be a real problem for a recreational shooter?

Schuetzenman
01-09-2013, 11:05 PM
They did say that the amount of heat on the barrel did some damage too. Shouldn't be a real problem for a recreational shooter?

Remember the Federal copper jacketed bullets and brass cases were fired at the same high rate as the Russian ammo and it did not scour away the rifling like the Russian ammo did.

That said, if a person didn't shoot their rifles until they were smoking hot and then keep firing the effect would probably be lessoned. However, reference what people are doing with bumpfire stocks. It is a known cause and effect that getting a barrel super hot does lead to accelerated throat errosion. Cleaning more frequently than once every 1,000 rounds would also probably help as i'm sure copper probably builds up and contributes to some wear eventually and if it doesn't it does contribute to reduced accuracy. That I have proven to myself over the years by cleaning rifles that I thought weren't performing up to par by cleaning them. After the cleaning accuracy was restored to what I was use to having from the weapons.

nitewatcherXX
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Remember the Federal copper jacketed bullets and brass cases were fired at the same high rate as the Russian ammo and it did not scour away the rifling like the Russian ammo did.

That said, if a person didn't shoot their rifles until they were smoking hot and then keep firing the effect would probably be lessoned. However, reference what people are doing with bumpfire stocks. It is a known cause and effect that getting a barrel super hot does lead to accelerated throat errosion. Cleaning more frequently than once every 1,000 rounds would also probably help as i'm sure copper probably builds up and contributes to some where eventually and if it doesn't it does contribute to reduced accuracy. That I have proven to myself over the years by cleaning rifles that I thought weren't performing up to par by cleaning them. After the cleaning accuracy was restored to what I was use to having from the weapons.

Thanks for help clarifying. Probably wouldn't have been an issue 2 months ago when new barrels were still around.

ready
01-11-2013, 02:13 AM
Or properly maintain your rifle and it's not an issue. Plus you save enough money to buy a whole new gun if yours disintegrates from steel ammo.

Schuetzenman
01-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Or properly maintain your rifle and it's not an issue. Plus you save enough money to buy a whole new gun if yours disintegrates from steel ammo.

Then again if you reload like I do I can build ammo for 22 cents a round, (or slightly less) and that's even cheaper than Russian steel cased, steel jacketed ammo.

NAPOTS
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Scheutz,

I have seen tests before that have produced barrel ruptures in the M16 with relatively few rounds of sustained fire. Can I assume that at least some of the wear on the barrel was due to the abuse that was encountered during the test? What I am getting at is, if I am the kind of guy that shoots 100-200 rounds per range session and never really lets the rifle get all that hot, can I expect more life out of my barrel than 10,000 rounds?

binky59
01-11-2013, 11:56 AM
I'd have to say that carbon and copper fouling would have an effect on barrel life if the
gun was not cleaned at 500 round intervals. I have been shooting steel for about 3 years
through one of my AK's. I clean it after each use and have maybe 2000 rounds through it
no real noticable wear. This is a chrome lined barrel.

ready
01-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Then again if you reload like I do I can build ammo for 22 cents a round, (or slightly less) and that's even cheaper than Russian steel cased, steel jacketed ammo.

Yeah, if youre a reloader you have a case. No pun intended.

Charliebravo
01-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see the same test using AKs with chrome-lined barrels. They're the only thing that I run steel-case ammo through anyway, except my Glocks.

I had a discussion with a guy at the gun shop/range about 9mm Wolf. He said "I don't run that stuff, it wears out the gun faster." I had to explain the math to him.

Assuming, strictly for argument's sake, that a Glock 17 is good for 100K rounds using quality brass-cased ammo. Let's use an arbitrary number like, say, only 50K (half) using Wolf. At the time, brass-case ammo was going for about $9/box while Wolf was going for $7, a savings of $2 per 50 rounds. There are 20 boxes to a case, meaning that the shooter saves $40 per 1,000 rounds fired. Assuming, strictly for argument's sake again, that the pistol is completely useless and beyond repair after the 50K rounds, the shooter has saved $2,000 in ammo costs......enough to buy 4 brand new Glock pistols.......or 20 new Lone Wolf barrels.

I would never carry Wolf as defensive ammo, but it does just fine at the range.

Schuetzenman
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Scheutz,

I have seen tests before that have produced barrel ruptures in the M16 with relatively few rounds of sustained fire. Can I assume that at least some of the wear on the barrel was due to the abuse that was encountered during the test? What I am getting at is, if I am the kind of guy that shoots 100-200 rounds per range session and never really lets the rifle get all that hot, can I expect more life out of my barrel than 10,000 rounds?

I would say yes, the cooler you keep your barrel, the slower you shoot it and if you clean fairly frequently it should hold up longer. I use a cleaning rod guide that fits in the AR upper like the bolt carrier does. Got it from Brownell's years ago. This keeps the rod from being able to flex and contact the rifling at the throat because it supports the rod in the chamber. http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/cleaning-rods-amp-accessories/cleaning-rod-guides/o-ring-bore-guide-prod25927.aspx?ttver=1 This might not be the exact same one but it looks fairly close to what I have.

Infidelski
01-16-2013, 09:55 AM
One of the best comparison studies I've seen in a long while, thanks for posting.