PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a gas tube question

01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
I am new to AK's but not new to guns. I acquired a Romanian AK, it has had the gas tube removed but fires and cycles rounds like a champ. Why would someone have removed it? Is this some sort of mod? Or should I be finding a new gas tube and figuring out what has been done to it and reverse it?

Thanks in advance.

Woogiebear
01-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I am trying to figure out how your AK is functioning. You are saying that there is no gas tube and I have never heard of an AK being fired like that. With out the receiver cover, sure, but not the gas tube. If you could post some pics so we can take a look, that would be great. My best advice would be to just replace the gas tube. With all those gases shooting out undirected, I guess you could increase the chance of burning yourself.

binky59
01-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Yea I don't understand how your gun is even operating without a gastube. Being a gas
blowback system it seems impossible. I'm with Woogiebear on this one, you must mean the receiver cover.
Is the missing piece behind your rear sight or in front above the barrel?

deth502
01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
all the gas tube really does is guide the piston back into the gas block and protect the shooter. the majority of the force that is imparted to the carrrier comes from the high presure gasses tht hi the piston face inside of the gas block. after the carrier is set upon its travel in that initial 1/2" or so, once it leave the gas block and enters the tube, the gas is RAPIDLY bled off. some aks have gas bleed off holes right in the back of the gas block before the piston face even goes back into the gas tube. soem have a series of holes in the front of the gas tube. ALL of them have a huge gas tube with absolutely no gas seal in it at all to hold any residual pressure in them.

as long as the piston face reliably goes back into its recess in the gas block, there is no need for a gas tube to function.

and no, its not normal, or desired. you should be looking to remedy it.

imanaknut
01-12-2013, 04:35 PM
all the gas tube really does is guide the piston back into the gas block and protect the shooter. the majority of the force that is imparted to the carrrier comes from the high presure gasses tht hi the piston face inside of the gas block. after the carrier is set upon its travel in that initial 1/2" or so, once it leave the gas block and enters the tube, the gas is RAPIDLY bled off. some aks have gas bleed off holes right in the back of the gas block before the piston face even goes back into the gas tube. soem have a series of holes in the front of the gas tube. ALL of them have a huge gas tube with absolutely no gas seal in it at all to hold any residual pressure in them.

as long as the piston face reliably goes back into its recess in the gas block, there is no need for a gas tube to function.

and no, its not normal, or desired. you should be looking to remedy it.

This /\ /\ /\

The gas tube primarily makes sure the normally loose gas piston goes back into the gas block. Secondary reason is to direct spent gas into the receiver and not the face of the shooter.

You are lucky the piston reenters the gas block. Guessing it isn't loose as it should be but welded in place by Century and just lucky that they got it centered.

01-12-2013, 08:55 PM
This /\ /\ /\

The gas tube primarily makes sure the normally loose gas piston goes back into the gas block. Secondary reason is to direct spent gas into the receiver and not the face of the shooter.

You are lucky the piston reenters the gas block. Guessing it isn't loose as it should be but welded in place by Century and just lucky that they got it centered.

Okay, I might be totally messed up here with terminology but the part I am missing is the small diameter tube that goes thru the lower hand guard and looks like it goes into the bottom of the front sight, appears as though it would be about 3/16" in diameter

01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I am totally messed up here! I just found a breakdown that listed my missing "gas tube" as the cleaning rod... Oops. No wonder I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the heck it went to. Time for me to study up.
Thanks.

imanaknut
01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Sorry for not saying this earlier--- Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Don't feel bad, we were all new to this at one time, but you do have to admit that there is a little difference between the cleaning rod and gas tube. :smiley31:

If you have a newer WASR-10 or variation of a WASR, some didn't ship with cleaning rods. While they aren't needed for function, they add to the AK/AKM/AK-74 look.

These days if you check companies that usually list AK variants, like Aim Surplus or Atlantic Firearms, you will find many AKs shipping without cleaning rods.

01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
It's not a new one, been around awhile. Yeah, guess I was used to the small gas tube on my old AR's lol.