PDA

View Full Version : So let me get this straight? Is EVERYTHING selling out?

tank_monkey
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
From what I've heard it's everything except cowboy action guns, bolt action hunting rifles and side by side duck hunting shotguns.

So that's ALL auto loading rifles, shotguns, even a lot of handguns. All detachable magazines and all Mall Ninja tacticool accessories.

I heard a Sheriff's Deputy quip today that he believes (because of California's Dept of Justice Check) that 10,000 NEW American households are buying guns who never had a gun before, EACH DAY. I for one, feel better about the huge increase in numbers. If it were just a few of us, buying dozens of guns for ourselves, I'd still feel politically weak.

I bring this up because I can't even get PARTS for my AR-15 style long guns. I have a few that are missing small parts or have broken small parts and I can't even get the parts to get them up and running.

What do you guys think?

imanaknut
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
With the number of people buying firearms, you would think our government would get the hint, and I hope I am wrong but I believe they are too stupid to see the forest for the trees.

was_peacemaker
01-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Man I thought I would never find 9mm ammo today. I seriously had to do some calling and driving to locate some. Walmart said they wouldn't get any until April.

Justin
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
I was out grocery shopping at walmart today, and decided to swing by the sporting goods department just to see how things are. Boy was I surprised, the gun racks were pretty much bare, and all of the 7.62x39, 5.56, .40, 9mm, and .22lr, ammo were all gone. Literally, all of them were completely sold out. What I don't get though, is why these people won't join the NRA, or GOA, and contact their congressmen. :wtf:

Altarboy
01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
It's going down man! But seriously, it all sounds like a populace preparing for war. Time will tell.

Schuetzenman
01-12-2013, 11:41 PM
What I think is I'm glad I have most all the stuff I need as you can't find shit now. I said most because I was in the process of building a light weight 16" middy upper to give me a light handy AR rifle for the wife or Grand kids to use. I don't have a bolt carrier and bolt for it. I just barely found the barrel I wanted and it wasn't complete, no delta ring assembly and no front sight in the gas block front sight tower. Lucky for me I had spare front sight gas block with post, spring and detent I'd taken off to mount a YHM flip up gas block BUIS. AR parts were in short supply before Sandyhook, since then it's like trying to find an honest politician.... virtually impossible.

Here in Georgia the shops I go to are wiped clean of anything ... well anything that could be used for military like use. All Glocks, Rugers, HK handguns, basicially any handgun that takes more than a 10 shot mag is gone. Only revolvers and single stack handguns still in stock. Zero AR, FAL, PTR91 HK types, ACS, Sig 550 etc. rifles are all gone. I did see a few pump shotguns, but not many of those. There were bolt guns left in stock but not all that many of those either. Ammo, very grim situation, really any main stream chambering is gone. Odder ones like .22-250, .222, 243, 7mm-08 are about all the ones I can see.

JTHunter
01-12-2013, 11:50 PM
It's going down man! But seriously, it all sounds like a populace preparing for war. Time will tell.

Maybe. As they say - "We live in interesting times."
The problem with a lot of the ammo at Walmart is that too much of it, esp. the pistol ammo, isn't really desirable for HD/SD, just target ammo.
Even so, one person with a gun and sufficient desire/motivation can achieve remarkable things.

az_paul
01-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Other than OFB brass, the shelves are pretty bare here in Northwestern Arizona.

nitewatcherXX
01-13-2013, 01:03 AM
I never thought Id be happy to have a case of 38 wad cutters. They had a 1/2" of dust on the box. I picked them up 25 years ago. Never even opened the case up. Ammoman's prices go uo 15% a week. If you shoot any com bloc gun better stock up. That stuff is going away. A case of shit 762x54 will be $500 a case soon. 9x18 up over 400 per 1k etc.

skorpion
01-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Even 10-round mags are hard to come by when that's the biggest mag you can get for something. I've been trying to find extra 10-round magazines locally for my new .22 Savage bolt-action. No luck. I remember seeing the darn mags everywhere two months ago. Now people are resorting to buying anything in stock when they go to buy a semi-auto and realize they can't get one. Soon lever guns, bolt-actions, and pumps will be flying off the shelves, too, when gun buyers want anything besides nothing.

mushroom
01-13-2013, 02:54 AM
Just think... If we can get enough support, show enough strength, and hold together till this all blows over.. with all those people that have bought stuff and find out the bans will not take place and stocks are replenished.. we might find some really good deals!!!! I know.. I'm an optimist.. I can hope can't I??

FunkyPertwee
01-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Just think... If we can get enough support, show enough strength, and hold together till this all blows over.. with all those people that have bought stuff and find out the bans will not take place and stocks are replenished.. we might find some really good deals!!!! I know.. I'm an optimist.. I can hope can't I??

It happened after the 2008 scare, it certainly could happen again.

Charliebravo
01-13-2013, 03:45 AM
The problem with a lot of the ammo at Walmart is that too much of it, esp. the pistol ammo, isn't really desirable for HD/SD, just target ammo.

While not ideal, I'd still rather not be perforated with ball ammo. A 9mm hole through the chest is still a 9mm hole through the chest. I keep 1K of premium SA handgun rounds per caliber (9mm, .40, and .45), but that's it. I've got a few thousand each of ball. If I burn through 3K of HP handgun rounds, we're in deep shit.

1 Patriot-of-many
01-13-2013, 07:08 AM
I was out grocery shopping at walmart today, and decided to swing by the sporting goods department just to see how things are. Boy was I surprised, the gun racks were pretty much bare, and all of the 7.62x39, 5.56, .40, 9mm, and .22lr, ammo were all gone. Literally, all of them were completely sold out. What I don't get though, is why these people won't join the NRA, or GOA, and contact their congressmen. :wtf:
And many of them will still vote Democrap.

El Duce
01-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Around here the stores have NO pistol ammo. Only Bolt action hunting rounds. Nothing but a few lever actions and bolt guns. I have been in this shop befoe and was AMAZED at how many ar's they had. I called them yesterday. The guy told me that in the begining of December he had 4700 guns in stock. Yesterday he had 680! And no nothing related to ar's!

http://www.cashforyourguns.com/

Penguin
01-13-2013, 09:15 AM
With the number of people buying firearms, you would think our government would get the hint, and I hope I am wrong but I believe they are too stupid to see the forest for the trees.

That is what has been crossing my mind as of late too. Especially with all the ammo flying off the shelves as well.

N/A
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Gun show in Abilene Texas today. Went yesterday, and it was packed, but lots of AR-s in the $1500 to $1800 range. Some AKs. T&G Sales was there with lots of magazines. Picked up 4 new 20 round AR mags fo $20 each. Went to a pawn shop and they had seveal ARs on the shelf. Went to a gun shop and most of their ARs they had over at the gun shoiw, but had magazines and AR parts. Finding Hogdon 4895 powder is the hardest thing, and then bullets for reloading. Last stop was at the army surplus store, and picked up 2 used 30 round AR mags for $20 ea.

After the crowd at the gun show yesterday, Don't know what you will find there today.

The thing you can't find any more is a plain ol fixed stock for an AR, the original kind like on the A1 or A2. Used to see them everywhere for $20, and now they are gone.

gunsnetadmin
01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
At Walmart by my house, you can only buy 2 boxes of ammo per individual.

At Academy, 9mm, 40, .223 is sold out. I'm sure others are also, but I didnt check on those. Handguns, they have a few but the display cases do not have the quantity of guns they usually have and there were people crowded there waiting to buy a gun. This one young couple, I overheard the dude saying something about "and then move this from savings so we can buy this".. lol

alismith
01-13-2013, 09:42 AM
It's good to have a few Fudd guns on hand. There's still ammo for most of them around here. Pistol ammo is scarce, but revolver ammo is still around (.44 Spl, .45LC, .38 Spl., etc.)

No problems getting shotgun ammo in any gauge.

Viking350
01-13-2013, 09:55 AM
While not ideal, I'd still rather not be perforated with ball ammo. A 9mm hole through the chest is still a 9mm hole through the chest. I keep 1K of premium SA handgun rounds per caliber (9mm, .40, and .45), but that's it. I've got a few thousand each of ball. If I burn through 3K of HP handgun rounds, we're in deep shit.

Ball ammo is all the military is supposed to use in combat. It has killed more combatants than you could count.

Punk
01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
I was in a gun shop yesterday, I was surprised when I walked in the door and saw about 5 AR's on the wall! But it was no good, they were consignment guns. A Bushmaster that went for 750 new a few weeks ago, now 1800 used. A couple of DPMS rifles, same story, double the price used as new. One AR had a 2800 tag on it lol! Shotguns in stock but virtually no rifles, they did have a pink S&W AR style .22LR. Any handgun with a large cap mag was gone.

Walmart ammo only had less common calibers in stock. (Still no .22lr !!) I did grab some shotgun ammo. Felt like I had to buy something!

Warthogg
01-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I was out grocery shopping at walmart today, and decided to swing by the sporting goods department just to see how things are. Boy was I surprised, the gun racks were pretty much bare, and all of the 7.62x39, 5.56, .40, 9mm, and .22lr, ammo were all gone. Literally, all of them were completely sold out.

What I don't get though, is why these people won't join the NRA, or GOA, and contact their congressmen.

Very, very difficult to motivate people who are well fed and with two cars in their garage.

Think about the people at the time of the French and Russian revolutions. Their plight was far worse than is ours......at least at this time.

Wart

El Laton Caliente
01-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Went to wally world and the pawn shop yesterday.

I bought the last three boxes of 7.62x39 (Winchester 40 count) at wally world and some .410. The .22 was wiped out except .22 shorts, .223 all gone, .38, .357, 9mm, 40S&W, .308 all gone... They had SOME 30-06, 270, 25-06, 32S&W and stuff. The clerk at wally world said she had tried to order ammo and rifles and everything was out at the distribution center and back ordered. They could not tell her when they could get more.

The pawn shop (with a 50-60 foot gun rack) had shot guns, deer rifles and .22s left. The most "tactical" thing one the shelf was a dressed out Savage .22 bolt gun!

Altarboy
01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
If a fellow owns a 22-250 or a .204 he's in luck. Otherwise, it's a good time to stock up on shotgun ammo as that's about all you can get without paying terrible prices.

binky59
01-13-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm lucky enough to have purchased cases of ammo a while ago. Could still use some .223 but
can wait until things settle down. The only ammo I'm buying is 30-30 for the 1894 Winchester
I bought, no problem with that. If you are looking for mags, try Ebay. Sellers are circumventing
Ebays 10 round max policy, got a few hi-cap .223 mags that a guy had listed as 3 rounders, but
had a picture of the mag that had 30 round on it. Others say 10-10-10 round mag or 10x3.
I don't like Ebay but will cave for the right reason.

NAPOTS
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
The other day my local wallmart was stripped of just about all centerfire rounds but they did have some .40 S&W hollowpoints.

uncas1
01-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Everything seems to be cleared out here SW of Atlanta. I buy my ammo online and have some 7.62x39 back ordered on Sportsman's guide. Should be in the first week of Jan. An encouraging sign with all this is that I have people contacting me at church, on Facebook,etc. wanting to know what gun to buy. These are people who have never owned a gun in their lives. Two friends in Mobile have both purchased their first guns, both AR's. I've told them to focus on finding magazines, and the pursue ammo. Also have encouraged them to join the NRA. So it's not just gun owners buying more guns.

jet3534
01-13-2013, 12:48 PM
If a fellow owns a 22-250 or a .204 he's in luck. Otherwise, it's a good time to stock up on shotgun ammo as that's about all you can get without paying terrible prices.

Speaking about shotgun ammo, I watched an interesting video about converting a trap load by cutting the shell to create an improvised slug. Can this type of ammo be shot in a choked barrel?

N/A
01-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Everything seems to be cleared out here SW of Atlanta. I buy my ammo online and have some 7.62x39 back ordered on Sportsman's guide. Should be in the first week of Jan. An encouraging sign with all this is that I have people contacting me at church, on Facebook,etc. wanting to know what gun to buy. These are people who have never owned a gun in their lives. Two friends in Mobile have both purchased their first guns, both AR's. I've told them to focus on finding magazines, and the pursue ammo. Also have encouraged them to join the NRA. So it's not just gun owners buying more guns.

And here we are starting the third week of January. You might have a long wait.

uncas1
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
N/A, sorry, I meant to say the first of February. Lucky gunner had some Fiocci 7.62 2days ago. It's brass cased and not as cheap as wolf or any of he Bear offerings, but it's good ammo.

was_peacemaker
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Grand kids to use.

I know you ain't old enough to have grand youngins. I figured you were mid-40's at least.

Schuetzenman
01-13-2013, 05:10 PM
I know you ain't old enough to have grand youngins. I figured you were mid-40's at least.

Much, much older than that. I'll never see 55 again.

N/A
01-13-2013, 05:43 PM
N/A, sorry, I meant to say the first of February. Lucky gunner had some Fiocci 7.62 2days ago. It's brass cased and not as cheap as wolf or any of he Bear offerings, but it's good ammo.

I knew what you meant....I just can't help being a smartass most of the times...:ignore:

alismith
01-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Much, much older than that. I'll never see 55 again.

Well, if you make it to 110, you'll have seen it twice. But, I doubt the second time will be quite as nice as the first time.;)

nfa1934
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM

To the politicians, this speaks more loudly than the media. You saw how quickly Manchin backpedaled after the first weekend of the buying spree. In fact, this is also why the media has redoubled its effort to propagandize. They can't stand seeing the peasants doing something other than what they were told. Something that they think should be a slam-dunk is slipping away from them.

This is one instance where the opiates of the masses will work against the left. Pro-gun outnumbers the antis, they need the support of the apathetic and easily influenced average fool to stand against us. Those people have an incredibly short attention span and soon will be back to only caring about celebrities who sing and dance on TV, celebrities who can throw a ball, or which empty-headed celebrity is fucking which other empty-headed celebrity. Despite all the media's hysterics, this "cause" is dying right in front of them.

nitewatcherXX
01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
To the politicians, this speaks more loudly than the media. You saw how quickly Manchin backpedaled after the first weekend of the buying spree. In fact, this is also why the media has redoubled its effort to propagandize. They can't stand seeing the peasants doing something other than what they were told. Something that they think should be a slam-dunk is slipping away from them.

This is one instance where the opiates of the masses will work against the left. Pro-gun outnumbers the antis, they need the support of the apathetic and easily influenced average fool to stand against us. Those people have an incredibly short attention span and soon will be back to only caring about celebrities who sing and dance on TV, celebrities who can throw a ball, or which empty-headed celebrity is fucking which other empty-headed celebrity. Despite all the media's hysterics, this "cause" is dying right in front of them.

Well put. :)

BigDuke6
01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Dicks sporting goods ( I don't recommend shopping there), had NO rifle mags to be found. Only thing was ruger 10/22 mags.

NO 9mm, or .22 long in the house.

Warthogg
01-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Well put. :)

Yes.

Wart

imanaknut
01-13-2013, 07:43 PM

Exactly my hopes!

nfa1934
01-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Not saying we can rest for one second, though. I do think a so called "assault weapons" ban is outside the realm of possibility. The only possibilities are a capacity ban and private sale ban, and I only give them a chance if a significant number of RINOs think they can placate gun owners with the idea that they "saved" us from an assault weapons ban by caving on a lesser infringement. I think enough of them realize that anything passing will result in successful primary challenges. The media knows this, which is why they are howling right now.

Put it this way, the buying spree is like the internal poll that a candidate uses to get the ground truth, but would never publish. The media is like the slanted poll the candidate publishes to influence opinion. They are trying their best with the media, but the gun sales are telling them the truth. A lot of them don't like it, but they don't want to lose their jobs.

What the left doesn't seem to realize is how catastrophic even one of their "milder" measures would be for their cause if it passed. They don't understand that a capacity ban or private sale ban will be viewed by voters the same as an assault weapons ban. They don't get that nothing is acceptable and that the response will not be milder for the passage of a lesser infringement. The passage of anything will provoke a response that makes 1994 look like nothing.

samiam
01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Help me out understanding "private sale ban" assuming a private seller legally owns a legal gun and sells it to another individual of legal age and non-felon this transaction is proposed to be made illegal?

imanaknut
01-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Yep, if they got their way, if you and I lived in the same state, and legal you wanted to buy a firearm from legal me, we would have to go through a dealer with the phoned in background check. No more you hand me the money, I hand you the firearm and we both go happily on our way.

samiam
01-13-2013, 08:43 PM
well, with that logic if they wanted to reduce traffic accidents they'd park on the side of the road and jack off a dead dog

imanaknut
01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Pretty sick that not one of the "fixes" they offer would have stopped the massacre of children, nor will it prevent the next one.

JTHunter
01-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Pretty sick that not one of the "fixes" they offer would have stopped the massacre of children, nor will it prevent the next one.

It is just their way of "chipping away" at people's Constitutional Rights.