PDA

View Full Version : FCG for Sar-3

gundogblue
01-13-2013, 09:23 AM
I have a Romainian SAR-3 in .223, I'd like to put a better trigger in it. I was looking at the Tapco G2 tiggers, and I just want to make sure that trigger group will fit in my gun. Also I think mine has a single hook trigger, but what's the difference between a single, and double hook trigger? When I replace the trigger is it a good idea to also replace the hammer spring as well? I've replaced the triggers in a few AR-15, so I have a good idea of what's involved, I've also watched a few you tube videos on replaceing the triggers in AK's but any tips hear will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :biggrin:

Schuetzenman
01-13-2013, 10:41 AM
I have a Romainian SAR-3 in .223, I'd like to put a better trigger in it. I was looking at the Tapco G2 tiggers, and I just want to make sure that trigger group will fit in my gun. Also I think mine has a single hook trigger, but what's the difference between a single, and double hook trigger? When I replace the trigger is it a good idea to also replace the hammer spring as well? I've replaced the triggers in a few AR-15, so I have a good idea of what's involved, I've also watched a few you tube videos on replaceing the triggers in AK's but any tips hear will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :biggrin:

Redstar Arms makes and adjustable AK trigger group. G2 Tapco's, not sure it would work regardless of hook count. The difference between 2 hook and 1 hook is early AK (milled receivers) vs. AKM (sheet metal receivers). A two hook would be wrong for your rifle, some have dremel cut them off or cut the additonal slot in their sheet metal receivers. http://www.redstararms.com/index1.html?c1.html&1 Here you go a link to Redstar Arms.

The SAR-3 has an odd bolt stem length as I recall and this changes the geometry requirements of the hammer. It is not identical to the Ak47 or AK74 in this respect and as such the trigger groups because of the hammers don't really fit or time to hit the back of the bolt stem square on. They can instead hit at an angle.

imanaknut
01-13-2013, 12:14 PM
What Schuetzenman said, if you order a replacement trigger group, make sure the hammer is profiled for the SAR-3 bolt, which is shorter than the standard bolt. Because the hammer has to travel further to strike the bolt, the face angle is different.

I would stick with single hook since that is what the receiver is set up for, but I have put a double hook trigger in an SAR-1 and recontoured the one hook that didn't have a slot in the receiver to fit into. It took a while taking a little metal off at a time and trying it in place before it fit with out contacting the receiver, but it does work if you are careful about it. Any question in your mind, stay with the single hook.

I wouldn't worry about the hammer spring unless you have fired about 25,000 rounds. They are very robust and designed to last a long long time.

When you go to remove the axis pins, look closely at how the shepherd's hook is installed and how it holds the pins in place. They can be a real bear to work with. Alternately you can buy a retainer plate that replaces the shepherd's hook.

One thing to watch for is when you remove the axis pin for the trigger/disconnector assembly that you do not lose that itty bitty spring under the disconnector. They can get away from you and do a great job of disappearing.

gundogblue
01-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info, the Romainian .223 is a good rifle the only thing wrong with it is that there does'nt seem to be as much after-market parts for it as there is for the 7.52x39 AK's. Even the mags are hard to find, I have two 30 rnd Wieger's for it, but even before all the Obumer BS, they were almost impossible to find.
Paul

O.S.O.K.
01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
You will love the Power Custom/Red Star fcg - fully adjustable so you can have a single stage trigger if you want. I've got one on 308 Saiga and it's the finest AK trigger I've ever pulled. Really helps with accurate shooting.

imanaknut
01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info, the Romainian .223 is a good rifle the only thing wrong with it is that there does'nt seem to be as much after-market parts for it as there is for the 7.52x39 AK's. Even the mags are hard to find, I have two 30 rnd Wieger's for it, but even before all the Obumer BS, they were almost impossible to find.
Paul

Check with Apex Gun Parts for Wieger mags.

studmuffin
04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Hmm my suggestion is the just file the face of the hammer till it is flush with the pin. Just get a small piece of thick paper, like index card paper, tear of some, put it flush with the bolt and let the hammer hit it. File and repeat until you get a complete round dimple in the paper. A simple solution.