PDA

View Full Version : New To AK's and the Forum

Rototiller
01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
:newbie:Before I posted I wanting at least put more then two rounds down the barrel. I was not looking for an AK at the time so I had not done any real research on buying one. Well I was at a local gun shop after all the panic buying had wiped him out but someone had two on consignment. They wanted way too much but I was thinking this could be my last chance to buy one. What I did not know about was kit builds, I forget the name on the one but the one I liked was a ITM Arms receiver, came with a 30 round mag, maybe European made and a Romanian 75 round drum that looked new or had very little use.

So I got home with it, loaded a box of ammo in the drum and fired two rounds just to say I fired it. So today about 3-weeks later I finally got to a range where I could shoot it. I really don't like it, the front sight post is drifted too far the left to easily see it, I did get a good pattern but it was not comfortable. The butt barely touches my shoulder I have to have it up so high, the trigger guard slams back against my trigger finger from the recoil. The Romanian front hand grip is a nuisance using a front support. I have seen a couple of YouTube videos about the front sight issue.

I also have in my collection:
1942 Mosin-Nagant M91/30
1943 M1 Carbine
1990 Ruger 10/22
Glock 30SF
Ruger 22/45 MkIII
6-Shoot 38 Special- Unknown Mfr,it was my Dad's when he worked as a guard at Sands(?) in Las Vegas.

Donald
Perkasie, PA

Rototiller
01-13-2013, 10:50 PM
the trigger guard slams back against my trigger finger from the recoil.

Found the problem on this forum, appears to be Trigger Slap, I need to modify my disconnector. We will see the next time I go shooting. The other problems seem to be from the butt stock and my shoulder don't match up, I see videos of other shooters having the issue, they adjusted to it, I'm too much of a newbie.

imanaknut
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The reason for the shorter stock on the AK is because Mr. Kalashnikov designed his homeland security weapon to be able to be used in the dead of winter when the shooter was wearing a heavy coat or parka. He would have to be able to shoulder the weapon quickly and not have it caught in the clothing on the way up.

You are right about the disconnector needing to be modified to prevent trigger slap. The geometry of the AK/AKM is such that if the part tolerances add up in the wrong direction the disconnector smacks the trigger on recoil, which is the slap you feel. When you remove the disconnector, being careful not to launch the spring that hides under it, look at the trigger section between the arms that the hammer spring lie on top of. You will probably see a shiny spot where the disconnector is hitting it. Remove a little material from the bottom of the disconnector where it is hitting the trigger and your problem will be solved.