PDA

View Full Version : reaction to obamas speech in the local paper from cleo's

deth502
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
he told me this morning that he is expecting a backlash in the "sound off" (call in reader response) section of the paper for his pro 2a stance.

i would love to see the article bombarded with comments of support for hollenbush/disgust for the others just to prove a point to these local officials, so feel free to leave a comment below the article. if you feel so inclined to call, the number for sound off is 570-648-2340.

http://newsitem.com/news/local-law-enforcement-support-plan-1.1430776

Mount Carmel Township Police Chief Brian Hollenbush is OK with background checks, but he doesn't agree with his local colleagues on an assault rifle ban.

"I agree wholeheartedly with background checks for gun permits, but I don't believe in banning assault rifles because I'm a firm believer in the right to bear arms as long as the right people have the guns," he said.

now, i know ow cynical everyone will get, but i assure you, by "the right people" he means keeping them out of the hands of criminals and the mental unstable, it is not a "leo only" comment.

stinker
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm assuming he's someone you personally know?

Pass on some free pr advice from me(for what it's worth).
Change "the right people" to "good people" or "decent people" (you get the idea) in the future and any potential misinterpretation problem goes away.

FunkyPertwee
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
"I would like to see controls on violence on video games," said Coal Township Police Chief William Carpenter. "It's getting out of hand. The videos are more graphic and they make killing fun, which I think is ridiculous."

Carpenter also favors anti-bullying efforts and universal background checks.

So he wants increased censorship and an end to private sales?

Fuck him.

ready
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I grew up with super mario bros. I dont recall an epidemic of children jumping on top of turtles and throwing them at people.

N/A
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
So he wants increased censorship and an end to private sales?

Fuck him.

Going to play devil's advocate here a minute. When a criminal commits a gun crime, we wonder how he got a gun. We say he shouldn't have been able to get a gun with his criminal back ground. And we are just as angry that he got a gun. So, without a background check, how does a private seller know if he is selling to a felon or not?
If we want to keep guns out of the hands of people that are felons and criminals, how are we to do it in private sells if we can't check their back ground? And don't give me crap about most criminals steal their guns. With all the armed criminals we have, there would be a hue and cry from gun owners if gun thefts were that rampant.

Helen Keller
01-17-2013, 07:06 PM
I grew up with super mario bros. I dont recall an epidemic of children jumping on top of turtles and throwing them at people.

You Forgetting how many times you died from BULLET BILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schuetzenman
01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Going to play devil's advocate here a minute. When a criminal commits a gun crime, we wonder how he got a gun. We say he shouldn't have been able to get a gun with his criminal back ground. And we are just as angry that he got a gun. So, without a background check, how does a private seller know if he is selling to a felon or not?
If we want to keep guns out of the hands of people that are felons and criminals, how are we to do it in private sells if we can't check their back ground? And don't give me crap about most criminals steal their guns. With all the armed criminals we have, there would be a hue and cry from gun owners if gun thefts were that rampant.

They do steal the vast majority of the guns they use in crime. I do understand the argument of requiring a background check for private sales...... however ......... these fuckers will use it as an end around to register gun buyers vs. guns. The NICS checks once on a Government computer is supposed to be purged quickly but who here believes they actually do that? If so I've got some prime swamp land I'd love to sell you.

LAGC
01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
If we want to keep guns out of the hands of people that are felons and criminals, how are we to do it in private sells if we can't check their back ground?

One solution might be to just print something on everyone's driver's licenses showing that they aren't currently prohibited from owning guns. "NICS OK" or something, so that when someone is conducting a private sale they can just glance at the license and know right away that the buyer is legit. That would be far less intrusive than universal background checks (actually calling it in) which lets the government know exactly who all the gun-owners are.

And don't give me crap about most criminals steal their guns. With all the armed criminals we have, there would be a hue and cry from gun owners if gun thefts were that rampant.

Have you ever considered that the reason gun thefts aren't so rampant is because criminals don't currently have to resort to theft to get their hands on a gun? Start closing the legal avenues and black market prices on guns will skyrocket, making them much more lucrative targets for theft.

N/A
01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
They do steal the vast majority of the guns they use in crime. .

You will need to post some factual data on that.

N/A
01-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Have you ever considered that the reason gun thefts aren't so rampant is because criminals don't currently have to resort to theft to get their hands on a gun? .

Yeah, but it isn't my job to make it easy for them to commit crimes.

Dr. Gonzo GED
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Have you ever considered that the reason gun thefts aren't so rampant is because criminals don't currently have to resort to theft to get their hands on a gun? Start closing the legal avenues and black market prices on guns will skyrocket, making them much more lucrative targets for theft.
I have and it occurs to me that felons passing guns to each other already know they aren't supposed to be holding.

What makes you think they will sudenly start doing NICS checks now?

"Hey bro, I know you're going to use this heat to strong arm marks and liquidate enemies but I just want to make sure you pass a background check before I sell you this stolen gun..."

WTF?

5.56NATO
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Considering most career criminals are just that and have a gun purchase denying record, they have to steal or barter drugs/stolen items for them.

deth502
01-17-2013, 07:31 PM
I'm assuming he's someone you personally know?

Pass on some free pr advice from me(for what it's worth).
Change "the right people" to "good people" or "decent people" (you get the idea) in the future and any potential misinterpretation problem goes away.

yes, i do. and i already told him about how his quote looked in the paper. it was an off the cuff remark, not a pre-written statement, just didnt think it through well enough.

deth502
01-17-2013, 07:36 PM
One solution might be to just print something on everyone's driver's licenses showing that they aren't currently prohibited from owning guns. "NICS OK" or something, so that when someone is conducting a private sale they can just glance at the license and know right away that the buyer is legit. That would be far less intrusive than universal background checks (actually calling it in) which lets the government know exactly who all the gun-owners are.

somewhat off topic, i have often said (pertaining to pa in particular) that anyone with a ccl (which requires passing the same nics check to obtain) should count as sufficent to buy from a dealer, instead of having to go through the phone call every time. the ccl permit number could replace the nics approval number

Schuetzenman
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
somewhat off topic, i have often said (pertaining to pa in particular) that anyone with a ccl (which requires passing the same nics check to obtain) should count as sufficent to buy from a dealer, instead of having to go through the phone call every time. the ccl permit number could replace the nics approval number

That's exactly the way it works or did when I was an 01FFL. If they had a CCW license I would record that number on the form and they walked with the weapon as soon as they paid me.

FunkyPertwee
01-17-2013, 07:59 PM

Thats how it is in SC.