PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie ?. What is this bracket?

rwalke10
01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi. 1st post. I'm not a newbie to firearms, but I've only been an AK owner for a couple of weeks. i've wanted one for years, and decided I better jump when I saw all the insanity brewing. With the cold weather here in the midwest, I haven't even had an opportunity to send any rounds downrange yet. That will change soon :)

One of my AKs (did I mention I jumped in with both feet?) has a bracket on the LH side of the receiver that I can not identify. The rifle in question is a GP / WASR-10 / 63. I've looked at countless AK pics and have yet to see this on any of those.

Here is the bracket I can't identify. Can anyone help with this?

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2166&d=1358468781

Other info from the rifle;

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2167&d=1358468844

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2169&d=1358469048

Here are some general pics of the pair;

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2168&d=1358468889

Anyway, glad to be aboard. I'm really looking forward to learning about this seemingly indestructable firearm.

Full Otto
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Welcome
That bracket is a scope mount. If you're gonna add a scope to an AK that's the way to go.
You can take it on and off and maintain zero.
Now to go look for a pic of the bracket for the scope cause I know you'll want to know

Full Otto
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
OK technically I guess it should be called a base for a side rail scope mount.
There are lots to choose from but this should give you an idea

http://i48.tinypic.com/dykves.jpg

imanaknut
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Hope you don't mind that I added your pictures to your thread to make it easier for lazy people like me. :D

And from the bottom picture, welcome to the AK-Addiction!!! Nice pair you have there.

Cold in the midwest? Wait until next week!!!

rwalke10
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
OK technically I guess it should be called a base for a side rail scope mount.
There are lots to choose from but this should give you an idea

http://i48.tinypic.com/dykves.jpg

Hey, thanks everyone. Overwhelmed by the quick replies! Mucho Appreciado! Any scope mount brands that are desireable over others? I'm not really upto speed on AK vendors, but Cabelas, CTD and Optics Planet know me well :) I picked up a couple of Sightmark Z series scopes at 1/2 price from Cabelas a couple weeks ago and was planning on using those on the AK's (and possibly sharing one on my Benelli M4)... Thanks again for the hospitality!

rwalke10
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Hope you don't mind that I added your pictures to your thread to make it easier for lazy people like me. :D

And from the bottom picture, welcome to the AK-Addiction!!! Nice pair you have there.

Cold in the midwest? Wait until next week!!!

Don't mind it a bit. Thank you for the help! I hear ya on the cold. I saw the weather report for Saturday that said close to 60. Would love to spend some time on my property ventilating some zombie targets, but I think I'm headed to my state capitol with a friend or two instead. Bastards.

Full Otto
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Any scope mount brands that are desireable over others

I'll have to turn that over to someone with prior experience I'm sure they'll be around.
I've had rifles with the base but never did the mount.
Might be some answers to that around here already if you surf some of the threads.

Close to 60!!? you dog they're talking teens by Sunday night here

imanaknut
01-17-2013, 10:59 PM
There are several types of side mounts, usually broken up to ones with levers that you can adjust to how tight they are, the other has allen head bolts to lock the mount to the rail. I have both types and although the lever style is easier to slide on and off since it doesn't use tools, I seem to like the one that uses the bolts to tighten it up. They then are broken up to those with a rail and those with built in rings. Again personal preference, but the rail allows you to install any optic, just that they might be a bit higher off the normal sight line, which doesn't bother me a bit.

And state capital on the 19th is a go. Luckily here in Indiana we have a state government that believes in the second amendment. Now if we can only get our federal reps to remember they are beholden to the state and not the whim or their party.

binky59
01-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Welcome to the AK nation, you'll have fun with those two!

rwalke10
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Close to 60!!? you dog they're talking teens by Sunday night here

Its 56 as I type. Tomorrow revised to 54. Anyway, Thanks for the replies. i'll so some thread searching and see what I can come up with. Just knowing it has that mount made getting a rail much easaier. Thanks again for that!

rwalke10
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
There are several types of side mounts, usually broken up to ones with levers that you can adjust to how tight they are, the other has allen head bolts to lock the mount to the rail. I have both types and although the lever style is easier to slide on and off since it doesn't use tools, I seem to like the one that uses the bolts to tighten it up. They then are broken up to those with a rail and those with built in rings. Again personal preference, but the rail allows you to install any optic, just that they might be a bit higher off the normal sight line, which doesn't bother me a bit.

Ok, good to know. I'm somewhat preferential to the bolt down ones myself. I know the newer levers are good--guess old habits die hard. i also like having the options open when you just mount a picitinny/weaver and go from there. I have invested in all the hardware to level/sight/lap/mount scopes/rings so I'm constantly moving stuff around.

And state capital on the 19th is a go. Luckily here in Indiana we have a state government that believes in the second amendment. Now if we can only get our federal reps to remember they are beholden to the state and not the whim or their party.

Looks like I'm not gonna make my state rally after all. Have to service an intermittent on-demand waterheater that's started to wig out the last couple of days. Thanks again for the help!

rwalke10
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the AK nation, you'll have fun with those two!

Thanks! Looking forward to some interesting conversations as I learn this new weapon.

itsme1738
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
i have the utg unit....love so far but have not shot it yet!

itsme1738
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
this unit

rwalke10
01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
this unit

Thanks for taking the time to reply and send the picture. That helps quite a bit. I found these two on the UTG site;

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=Mounting%20Systems&itemno=MNT-978

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=Mounting%20Systems&itemno=MTU016

Helen Keller
01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
I had a dummy a few years back ( gun shop dealer, imagine that) tell me the side rail was how you attached drums to an AK.

all I said was "COOL" and walked out.

Diesel
01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/index.html

Lots of really good info for you on that site...the night vision scope(s) also mount on the rail...and there are different kinds of rails. Good luck...just watch out for the 'three hole' models.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee:

rwalke10
01-20-2013, 09:26 PM
I had a dummy a few years back ( gun shop dealer, imagine that) tell me the side rail was how you attached drums to an AK.

all I said was "COOL" and walked out.

wow, I'd be surprised to hear if he was still in biz.

El Laton Caliente
01-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Welcome to the Board! Enjoy the AKs. Apexgunparts.com has some Russian scopes in stock.

Helen Keller
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
wow, I'd be surprised to hear if he was still in biz.

no, he's a filthy cheapskate,douchebag that got fired.

last time i saw him he stunk and his ass was hanging out of his torn up jogging pants, too cheap to buy new ones.

itsme1738
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply and send the picture. That helps quite a bit. I found these two on the UTG site;

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=Mounting%20Systems&itemno=MNT-978

http://www.leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=Mounting%20Systems&itemno=MTU016

i have the first one

rwalke10
01-26-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/index.html

Lots of really good info for you on that site...the night vision scope(s) also mount on the rail...and there are different kinds of rails. Good luck...just watch out for the 'three hole' models.

Diesel 88888888

:coffee:

Thanks for the welcome. By 3 hole version, are you meaining the one Midwest Industries sells?

rwalke10
01-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the Board! Enjoy the AKs. Apexgunparts.com has some Russian scopes in stock.

Thanks for the welcome! I'll check them out. I think I may have to wait a bit for that scope mount. My 'toy' budget is depleted right now, bought an extended titanium magtube for my Benelli M4...

rwalke10
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Well, got home from work today and it was **75** freaking degrees. First thing I did is set up some targets and drag out my new 'lil friends'. Ran a couple 40 round mags downrange. First time shooting an Ak. Recoil was lighter than I anticipated. Both guns cycled fine. Neither exhibited trigger slap (at least that I was able to determine so far). Trigger effort was smooth and felt around 4lbs. Color me impressed! Running cheap TulAmo, no FTF FTC FTE's so far! I was only shooting around 30 yards, but had no problems with grouping, etc. I wasn't precision shooting, just trying to get on paper with a 6"x10" target, and firing as quickly as I could draw a bead.

All in all i'm lovin these babies!

imanaknut
01-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Believe me you would know trigger slap if you had it! I bought a Maadi MISR S/A which was imported by Century and was treated to their world infamous trigger set. The first shot hurt so bad I was amazed I was stupid enough to try a second. Two rounds was enough. Took it home, took out the disconnector and cut down the underside where it was hitting the trigger. Now it shoots the way a good AKM should!

My all original SAR-1 has the most range time of my collection. I stopped counting after 13,000 rounds. I clean my rifles carefully after each range visit, and that old SAR-1 still looks like new inside!

Glad you were able to get out and have such a good time. Just be careful, AKs are highly addictive!

rwalke10
01-29-2013, 06:28 AM
Believe me you would know trigger slap if you had it! I bought a Maadi MISR S/A which was imported by Century and was treated to their world infamous trigger set. The first shot hurt so bad I was amazed I was stupid enough to try a second. Two rounds was enough. Took it home, took out the disconnector and cut down the underside where it was hitting the trigger. Now it shoots the way a good AKM should!

My all original SAR-1 has the most range time of my collection. I stopped counting after 13,000 rounds. I clean my rifles carefully after each range visit, and that old SAR-1 still looks like new inside!

Glad you were able to get out and have such a good time. Just be careful, AKs are highly addictive!

I had read the 'trigger slap' horror stories such as you relayed, and was hoping I could avoid that. Although I've read (and you confirmed here) it's not all that hard to cure, it's also good not to have to worry about it. I did notice my wasr-10 was missing the cleaning rod. Guess I'm gonna have to see where I can find one. I plan on breaking them down again and giving them a good cleaning. Got my son a CMMG AR-15 for xmas, and he got it out when he got home from work and sent a few rounds downrange too, so he gets to break his down and learn how to clean his too :)

I agree on the addictive! I was VERY impressed with these. Can't wait to do it again!

itsme1738
01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
right on!