PDA

View Full Version : 3-D Printing Has Already Made Mag Bans Futile

LAGC
01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q10Jz2qIog8

http://defcad.org/

Once entire firearms themselves can be printed, they'll either have to ban 3-D printers or give up trying to regulate firearms altogether.

Schuetzenman
01-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Saw the earlier vid where it didn't work so hot. Looks like he's gotten the design right, good for him.

Pikeman
01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Lowers for the AR, pic. rails and a BB silencer are also available for down load. The printer can be had for around $2,000. not altogether undoable.

Kadmos
01-19-2013, 03:17 PM
I was having this conversation with the family last month during the holidays.

One of the older members was talking about the cost of things and other about the "problem" of high cap magazines while another was saying that technology has gotten about as far as it's going to go...the old Jewish saying of "There is nothing new under the sun"

I ended up bringing the 3 conversations together with 3d printing.

It really is amazing, a whole new world, true manufacturing, the "means of production" possibly shifting to individual homes.

Kid needs new shoes, just scan the feet, correlate that with the right program and print out shoes. I guess that could also solve the whole Igor thing...

I heard someone recently "printed" edible meat.

Food, clothes, toys, tools, parts for whatever, chemical compounds...this could fundamentally change the world.

And it's not at all that far into the future when it will be really perfected.

When this happens though, I think guns will be the least of the worries...I'm much more concerned with the fact that someone will be able to print out C-4 or bio engineered super viruses.

Dr. Gonzo GED
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Doctors can now use 3D printed "scaffolds" and a patients own cells to culture replacement body parts and organs. The cell samples grow on the scaffold, replacing the form with themsleves until you have a blood vessel, or bladder, or digit or whatever!

The technolgy is currently only limited by it newness and expense.

It kind of blew my mind watching the TED talk about it because I realised that around the age when my organs and arteries start failing this technology will be several decades old and lightyears ahead of todays state of the art.

I.E., my generation might wind up living a lot longer than any of us expected.

And 3D printing is at the heart of it!

Krupski
01-19-2013, 03:55 PM
When this happens though, I think guns will be the least of the worries...I'm much more concerned with the fact that someone will be able to print out C-4 or bio engineered super viruses.

C4 doesn't need to be in any particular shape to work... hence "printing" C4 is a pointless worry.

However, I agree with you 100% on the virus idea. I predict that the cure for cancer and the common cold will be a genetically engineered virus that attacks and kills only the cells that it's "programmed" to kill.

Sample a tumor, grow the virus, inject a tiny bolus of clear liquid and the cancer is gone.

This same technology will also result in the ULTIMATE WEAPON. Imagine a virus engineered to kill all people with red hair.... or all Jews... or all Whites... or all people with Type A blood....... THAT will be the downfall of mankind, not nuclear weapons.

Kadmos
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
C4 doesn't need to be in any particular shape to work... hence "printing" C4 is a pointless worry.

Lol, yeah I get that.

I was thinking more of someone plops in a chunk of carbon in the household hopper, with chunks of whatever other daily waste or materials, and the "printer" puts them together (Jetson's style) to have a block of C4 come out of the transmorgifiers dispensing wall cabinet thing....which I think is where this ultimately leads.

I don't pretend to really understand it, but I do know it's becoming possible.

An article in popular science recently freaked me out, kids as a hobby are doing genetic engineering...like the old ham radio clubs. This kid is trying to zap bio-luminescent dna into yogurt so she can have a frozen yogurt that glows in the dark. She just ordered up the DNA strands from an internet company and works on it in her home lab...which appears to be mostly homemade and repurposed equipment...like a centrifuge that attaches to a dremel for separating strands or mixing strands or whatever.

BTW, great idea for futuristic terror movie, a computer virus that uploads to your home transmorgifier, altering the code to give you an actual virus in your food.

Schuetzenman
01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
I was having this conversation with the family last month during the holidays.

One of the older members was talking about the cost of things and other about the "problem" of high cap magazines while another was saying that technology has gotten about as far as it's going to go...the old Jewish saying of "There is nothing new under the sun"

I ended up bringing the 3 conversations together with 3d printing.

It really is amazing, a whole new world, true manufacturing, the "means of production" possibly shifting to individual homes.

Kid needs new shoes, just scan the feet, correlate that with the right program and print out shoes. I guess that could also solve the whole Igor thing...

I heard someone recently "printed" edible meat.

Food, clothes, toys, tools, parts for whatever, chemical compounds...this could fundamentally change the world.

And it's not at all that far into the future when it will be really perfected.

LOL clearly you don't understand the 3D printer thing which is essentially Sterolithography. A laser melts together powdered plastic or powdered metal to form the shape one .003" ich or thinner layer at a time. A carrier runs across the platform and lays down a thin layer of the powdered substance then the laser traces the cross section profile of the part. Then the platform either lowers or the carrier raises up and makes another pass laying down more material and the laser melts that layer to the first layer. Repeat as necessary until you have a finished object. The excess substance that isn't used can be recycled and used to make another shape.

Making C-4 would require being able to react the chemical agents that compose it, 3D printers don't do that.

Kadmos
01-19-2013, 08:21 PM
LOL clearly you don't understand the 3D printer thing which is essentially Sterolithography. A laser melts together powdered plastic or powdered metal to form the shape one .003" ich or thinner layer at a time. A carrier runs across the platform and lays down a thin layer of the powdered substance then the laser traces the cross section profile of the part. Then the platform either lowers or the carrier raises up and makes another pass laying down more material and the laser melts that layer to the first layer. Repeat as necessary until you have a finished object. The excess substance that isn't used can be recycled and used to make another shape.

Making C-4 would require being able to react the chemical agents that compose it, 3D printers don't do that.

I get that the technology isn't quite there, but it's actually fairly close.

Think about it this way.

First there was the regular printer, black ink on paper.

Later came the color printer, so now you are adding a few primary colors to make a huge range of colors. You don't need a mauve cartridge, you just need to basic elements to mix it right.

3d printing will get closer and closer, You start with one cartridge laying down plastic, then you add another that lays down metal and you can now print an item with both materials.

Then you start adding more materials

Over time perhaps you end up with a hopper that separates various elements out of waste materials and recombines them into new compounds or alloys to be "printed".

It's not outside the realm of possibility, basic versions are essentially already here in a sense.