PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Dies

aliceinchains
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
The standard reloading dies from various manfacturers i know people have there favorites.

But is there one really better than the other. And is it that much of a difference.

abpt1
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I really like carbide Dillon dies but they are not cheap...So I like RCBS or lee what ever is cheap then I just put in to a Dillon tool head.
Some times you can find cheap ones at the bargain cave at Cableas .

O.S.O.K.
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Hornady's rifle dies have a very cool feature. They have a bullet diameter sized spring loaded sleeve that swallows the bullet prior to the die pushing the bullet down to seat. The effect is that the bullet is held plumb and the case body is completely in its space and held straight before the downward pressure is applied. Other dies only hold the bullet plumb and the case body slips up into its space while the bullet is seated.

I don't know if this really has any affect on run-out, etc. but it impresses me :)

deth502
09-07-2010, 08:01 PM
i like lee dies for the price, but i CANNOT STAND the o-ring locking ring. so if i get them, i make sure to either get a cheap locking ring that dosent suck balls, or drill and tap the lee one for a set screw.

other than that, i get rcbs.

never tried any other brands. lee's got the "cheap" aspect covered, and ive never had a problem with rcbs afa "quality" goes, so the more expensive ones were never an option for me.

Klawndyke
04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I use lee dies with no problems.. i cant say if there the best but they do the job just right for me
I use the dies in my lee loadmaster and lee single stage
lol looks like i am a lee guy

L1A1Rocker
04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Love the Dillon "dynamic" dies. Makes for easy cleaning when you get lube build up from cast bullets. I had a problem once with Lake City once fired brass. The bulge at the bottom was not getting resized down corectly. The only die to fix this was a Redding Small Base die. If Dillon does not make the caliber i need - I get Redding.