PDA

View Full Version : communication equipment

chiak47
07-16-2010, 02:18 AM
What do you guys have?
I need a better shortwave, one that I can really fine tune...
I also need better 2 way radios.

What are your suggestions based on experience?

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't have jack shit except cell phones.
I am truly lacking in this particular department badly.
Great idea for a thread!

I was looking at some 2-way Motorolas similar to what we used in convoys in the army.
I'll have to go search for them again on line.
It's been a while.

abpt1
07-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Get your self a few cobra cb's from wallyworld for the cars buy a decent base set for the house and a SW .JIC

ready
07-16-2010, 09:09 AM
I have some some 2 ways. Some Motorola and some Uniden. I can't seem to get them to talk to each other, though. I thought all walkies could communicate as long as they were on the same channel. I also have a shortwave but I can never seem to get it tuned into anything and even if I did, I can't transmit on it.

I sure hope my cellphone works when SHTF.

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 09:33 AM
On the low end the CB equipment is the way to go in my experience. Most of the little walkie-talkies, and I've had three sets, quit on you in no time. The industrial equipment that are intresically safe high end units and several hundred each, but will hold up for years. I've used mostly Motorola equipment industrially.

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 02:04 PM
On the low end the CB equipment is the way to go in my experience. Most of the little walkie-talkies, and I've had three sets, quit on you in no time. The industrial equipment that are intresically safe high end units and several hundred each, but will hold up for years. I've used mostly Motorola equipment industrially.

My only commo experience dealt with SINCGARS (Single Channel Ground and Airborne Radio System) and hand-held Motorolas.
I have no experience with CB's at all.
I've never used those little Family Channel radios either.
I have no idea what is the best way to go for use as civilians, or why.

I hope this thread takes off with some good advice and ideas here.

Sherman
07-16-2010, 02:33 PM
I have one of these http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/3780.jpg
I went to a ham radio class that taught the Technician license that was given by the ARRL. If your interested in getting a ham radio license, you could go to the ARRL site http://www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training to get one. I plan on getting my General license some day.

chiak47
07-16-2010, 02:49 PM
ELC brought the industrial Motorola's up and I never really considered them for my gear until today.

I have used Motorola GP300's on job sites and they work pretty good for the limited area we used them in.
The one's I used look like this...
http://www.kevlange.se/GP300_11.JPG

But the newer ones look like this...
http://www.rigpix.com/protrx/motorola_gp300.jpg

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2635
The range here says 1.22 miles. Maybe a repeater can further the range of this model.:conf44: Again... I know nothing about comms as far as how to further their limits.

FWIW...

Here is the current EBAY listings for this radio...
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Motorola+GP300

Here is a listing and the guy claims he has more than 10 at $129.00+ $14.00 shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-GP300-GP-300-VHF-2-ch-charger-battery-antenna-/350270983839?cmd=ViewItem&pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item518dc70e9f

All I really need is two radio's and a home base which IMO can be achieved for under $500. This particular Motorola can also use a ear piece which would work nice if you have your hands full..

Here is a rundown on the specs.
Description: 2 - 8 - 16 channel VHF of UHF Handheld transceiver. 5 Watts of power.

It looks as if you need to program the channels that you want into it and that looks like a hassle in itself or there are people who do that sort of thing as their career.:wondering:

Also there is a local store here that has a BNIB midland CB radio for around $30.00 that I was eyeballing. I wonder if these Motorola's were compatible to something like that...:wondering:

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 03:04 PM
The little family/deer lease radios (I think they are 10 meter) never seem to last me a year before a malfunction that is more costly to fix the buy more of the damn things. Like I said, I've been through three sets costing from $49.95 to $99.99 and none of them worked for very long of very well.

CB radios I've seen working when 20 years old or more. Come to thinnk about it, I've not too long ago saw a working TUBE model.

There is the grade of SW the HAMS use, ask HDR on those. They are/should be better than the CBs.

The commercial / industrial radios are similar what the military uses. Sealed high quality systems with repeaters and even sat as an option. The drawback here is they are out of most people's price range. A single hand unit is $600 to $1500 plus the base & repeater.

chiak47
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
The drawback here is they are out of most people's price range. A single hand unit is $600 to $1500 plus the base & repeater.

Did you take a look at the model I posted? Would a repeater work with that?

I have one of these http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...txvrs/3780.jpg

I take it you need a license for this particular model...Which leads me to this.
How do you like it and what brand/model is it?

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Yea, they will handle (really need) a repeater and base unit can be had. And yes these need a business radio licence which I know nothing about.

Sherman's link doesn't work for me.

Be very careful buying these used. Many are stolen and the are easy to trace when turned on!

pit-sitter
07-16-2010, 03:53 PM
BTW- of course cell phones will not work when SHTF,
Hell, land lines probably won't work for long

Sherman
07-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I take it you need a license for this particular model...Which leads me to this.
How do you like it and what brand/model is it?
Legally, yes you need a license. Licenses are not hard to get. Go to a class or study the ARRL study guide, find a place to take the test, pass it, get your license. Good for 10 years.
About the radio, It is handy on long trips when looking for some entertainment besides the regular radio. The only thing that I do not like about it, is the initial setup. It took me many hours of trial and error to finally get it the way I want.

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm going with CBs...

Advantages:
1. pretty reliable
2. spares & repairs readily available
3. decent performance
4. you can talk to the neighbors
5. any 12 volt power will operate or charge most units

Disadvantages
1. about anyone can listen in

Mac_Muz
07-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I am not deep into this, since my hearing is poor, but i do have 2 cb radios in a little use. I can sort of chase my wife around and understand her meanings and practice hearing the sound on victim truckers when I get the chance. If there is a hand help radio set that works well for hearing impaired I'ld like to know. A range of say 6 miles in the hills?

In my gotta bug out dead last senario, I would pack up my gear, and take my wife to a selected place already selected just walking. I would range for wild weeds from there to conserve what is there now. Since Y2K I created a dozen caches, but still would want to leave them alone as much as possible. A radio to say 'it's me' so she don't place a 7.62 rnd between my lights could be handy. It might be possible to get a car battery into these places but i would have no way to charge it. Having a cb wouldn't run down a good battery if it wasn't used alot, but I would have no idea who I was talking too, and am not sure i like the idea for that.

HAM radio is way over my top. I couldn't power it with out noise. HAM or Cb I wouldn't be able to know if i could trust what I was hearing anyway.

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I am not deep into this, since my hearing is poor, but i do have 2 cb radios in a little use. I can sort of chase my wife around and understand her meanings and practice hearing the sound on victim truckers when I get the chance. If there is a hand help radio set that works well for hearing impaired I'ld like to know. A range of say 6 miles in the hills?

In my gotta bug out dead last senario, I would pack up my gear, and take my wife to a selected place already selected just walking. I would range for wild weeds from there to conserve what is there now. Since Y2K I created a dozen caches, but still would want to leave them alone as much as possible. A radio to say 'it's me' so she don't place a 7.62 rnd between my lights could be handy. It might be possible to get a car battery into these places but i would have no way to charge it. Having a cb wouldn't run down a good battery if it wasn't used alot, but I would have no idea who I was talking too, and am not sure i like the idea for that.

HAM radio is way over my top. I couldn't power it with out noise. HAM or Cb I wouldn't be able to know if i could trust what I was hearing anyway.

A solar charger is available for RVs and could charge a 12 volt battery enough to run / charge a CB.

Prometheus168
07-16-2010, 07:04 PM
OK... as the resident HAM nerd lemme set you boys straight! GMRS and FRS radios are fine for Line of sight plus MAYBE another 1/2 mile or so. Under optimum conditions. The ones you see that advertise 7-10 mile ranges are from the top of a mountain transmitting to a receiver in a valley with a total unobstructed LOS. To extend the range you need a repeater and a tall place to put it, but wait.. that tall place needs to have, you guessed it, a pretty clear LOS, so forget that hill over near your bug out hide and think TOWER. That tower can be a water tower, a tall building, taller the better. I would suggest getting your HAM Tech license, and buy a Yaesu Vx-6R (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=4C6F204F6FEBB5BAFA58BCC1C131EAC0&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0). This gives you a much better range due to its transmit power, custom frequency's, local repeaters that are already available, and a damn good radio.

I have a truck mounted Yaesu 857-D (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=8CBB7C4BDBAF40129AD4253A4987523C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0) that gives me ability to transmit on any legal frequency (plus my General license) and a Vx7RB (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=8D3254BFC69FB172D78647DC56EFB0E9&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0). Plus provisions to install my CB(just did not want to junk up the truck with more antennas)

Hope this helps....

Rusty

Mac_Muz
07-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah there is solar chargers, but don't have one right now, but the state does out on the highway. Will those work? LOL I got a nice gennie that runs on propane, but to run it on a bad day might be more trouble, or err bring more trouble than it's worth.

GMRS?? FRS?

Each one of us would have a different place to be and to attend.

I know my cb in the truck can reach out a few miles from the top of the mt where I once lived. Used it in a ice storm to make a phone call. Relayed to a guy, to another guy who made that call. I got my reply. Probably for me that was the best i could do and still depend on a stranger.

Asking if the sun is out in California , my being in NH isn't going to be all the usefull. But I am curious to know about what those in the know would do and so use a good radio for. My personal situation would be unlike most anyone else. I already live where everyone else wants to come to live in the woods and hunt their deer now. I don't like the city anyway so I sure as hell won't be packing up a cage and driving to any big city.

I won't wanna see any one from any city much either. Don't like that right now.

Prometheus168
07-16-2010, 08:58 PM
GMRS/FRS are "Family band" radios

Rusty

El Laton Caliente
07-16-2010, 11:07 PM
OK Rusty, here is what my goals are:

1. Outfit three highway vehicles,
2. Two or three tractors / ATVs,
3. Two or more hand held units
4. And a house base with 12 volt back up power.

Most of the use will be on 40 acres and the surrounding neighborhood, on the lake or vehicle to vehicle on the road.

I was looking at buying:

A higher end automotive CB with solar charger, 12 volt battery, 120 volt convertor-charger and roof mounted antenna. The lake is about 164' elevation and the house, on a hill, about 225' with the antenna at about 260' or more. There are no taller hills around within several miles.
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/uniPC68XL.jpg

Two mid-range CBs for the trucks.
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/cob18wx2.jpg

Two of these:
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=121
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/Midland-Cb-Radio-handheld75-822.jpg
for the small car and/or tractors/ATVs. Add a cigarette lighter plug and they are moved quickly.

And a couple handhelds:
http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/cob38wxstc.jpg

I'd be looking at a grand plus and I'm not sure I want to part with more...

JTHunter
07-17-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm going with CBs...

Advantages:
1. pretty reliable
2. spares & repairs readily available
3. decent performance
4. you can talk to the neighbors
5. any 12 volt power will operate or charge most units

Disadvantages
1. about anyone can listen in

If you use one of the "Single-Sideband" models, you not only get better range but the regular radios can't understand you (although they can hear you). Only problem is that you would probably have to find a used one as CB's heyday was 25-40 years ago and I haven't seen a SSB in over 20 years.
If/When SHTF, if you can also find a "foorwarmer" (currently illegal amplifier) you can also boost your transmitting (NOT receiving) range that way. And it isn't hard to design a little substitution code that only you and associates understand. You are limited to sending each letter one at a time instead of words. Takes a while!

swampdragon
07-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Wow.
You guys are some jabber monsters.

My biggest goal would be to have something I could "listen" to, and hear what's going on around me during a SHTF scenario.

But like Mac, I'd be good with just a couple of hand helds so my wife doesn't shoot at me.

Other than that, I'd not be transmitting all over the place and giving my position away.

Mac_Muz
07-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Wow.

My biggest goal would be to have something I could "listen" to, and hear what's going on around me during a SHTF scenario.

But like Mac, I'd be good with just a couple of hand helds so my wife doesn't shoot at me.

Other than that, I'd not be transmitting all over the place and giving my position away.

I like the listen only part for Cb and better radios. The distance to keep my wife from shooting me would be measured in in under 100 yards, since no one can see that far in the woods where I live.

The 6 miles thing would be for if i saw something headed her way i didn't like. Maybe if i got caught with my pants down too, and was never coming back ever.

Mark Ducati
07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
As long as this is in the survival forum... lets remember that you can always scavange from the dead... a dead cop or dead soldier (I'm not implying that I would kill them for some electronics), just reminding you to take their stuff!

HDR
07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow.

Look whose talking. :D

What do you want to listen to; seriously there is HF, VHF, UHF and so on.

To get an idea of what I mean: http://www.icta.mu/images/spectrum.jpg
The above will show who is assigned what from 3 kHz to 300 GHz.

There are quite a few decent SW portables; however, AFA, listening to police, fire and emergency services SW radios lack the ability.

Some survivalist types will tell you about this special antenna which means they don't know much about tx'ing or reading an antenna radiation graph.

JTHunter
07-23-2010, 11:19 PM
One thing to remember - UHF does NOT follow ground contours the way VHF does. That's part of the reason UHF-TV and the new DTV (which is UHF) have trouble reaching out.
As for just listening in, a decent police scanner will take care of a lot of that.

AKTexas
07-23-2010, 11:25 PM
I was just thinking of this the other day.Glad someone knows their shit here.thanks Rusty.

JTHunter
07-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh, just remembered something! Any of you ever read the book "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank? There was a passage in it about somebody communicating with another, telling them NOT to answer. The people in the story determined that it was the MOBILE unit telling the stationary BASE not to answer so as to not give their location away.
Seems logical. Mobile tells base what they've found, lets them know they are returning, and not to shoot!

HDR
07-24-2010, 12:07 PM
One thing to remember - UHF does NOT follow ground contours the way VHF does. That's part of the reason UHF-TV and the new DTV (which is UHF) have trouble reaching out.

I believe you meant HF unless you are considering the propagation modes ("Sporadic E", "Aurora", "Ducting" and "TE"). as VHF is pretty much line of sight also.

Here is a chart for ground wave distances. The chart is normalized for 2 stations, each running 1 Kilowatt to a 1/4 wave vertical antenna.

http://www.moonraker.com.au/techni/groundwave.htm

As you'll notice ground wave dies of around 30 MHz and that is with a Kilowatt. Same as anyone else who lives on a hill; I can do better than the chart using 100w. However, now line of sight comes into the equation.

As for just listening in, a decent police scanner will take care of a lot of that.

More than adequate.

O.S.O.K.
07-26-2010, 10:12 AM
My personal experience with the FRS and such mirrors that already posted - they are a waste of cash.

I think a hand-held or mobile CB along with one set-up as a base unit is probably the most practical for most. That's what I need to get...

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 10:46 AM
I gots to get me one of them there "special" antennas!
lol....

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDyeAjk4IA&feature=related

HDR
07-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I gots to get me one of them there "special" antennas!
lol....

Me too.. I'm been an Ham operator for decades. The only invisible antennas I've ever heard of are called invisble are the ones made inside PVC flag poles or in attics to hide from the landlord's or HOA's eyes. All of which has very little to do with transmitting invisibly.

The funniest part of it is after I posted the link to the radiation pattern graphs; they still didn't get it. The graphs are a side view and an Aeriel view of an antenna's radiation and aren't rocket science. So if this TEOTWAWKI event that they are preparing for actually happens; potentially the first time they hit the PTT could be a major oops,

Nevah evah unner estimate th' power of web lejunds t'fog minds an' misdireck its true believahs.. LOL

cciota
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDyeAjk4IA&feature=related

That movie cracks me up!

swampdragon
07-26-2010, 09:35 PM
That movie cracks me up!

Me too...it's pretty good.

:laughingtohard:

Batwing
07-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I may like a radio to listen to just for info and such,but I am not a communications guru,I know a litlle about cb's and have on with SSB and oddballs highs and lows,but I barely communicate now,in fact the most I do I am doing right now,I don't even have a cell phone and never answer my phone,and as far as them finding me it won't be hard, am stayin in my house until the end

chiak47
07-27-2010, 03:34 AM
This is a little off topic..
I heard that pirate radio stations are able to broadcast for a few minutes before triangulation is zeroed in..Is there a certain amount of time that it takes for the FCC or any other alphabet agency to zero in on a signal?

Also lets say that pirate radio station were to broadcast then shut down for 5 minutes or so then open back up would the alphabet agencies trying to locate it have to start from bottom rung as far as locating where the signal is broadcasting from?

HDR
07-27-2010, 05:03 AM
This is a little off topic..
I heard that pirate radio stations are able to broadcast for a few minutes before triangulation is zeroed in..Is there a certain amount of time that it takes for the FCC or any other alphabet agency to zero in on a signal?

Also lets say that pirate radio station were to broadcast then shut down for 5 minutes or so then open back up would the alphabet agencies trying to locate it have to start from bottom rung as far as locating where the signal is broadcasting from?

It would depend on how bad "they" want you and the bottom rung must be a ground wave not a skip signal.

az_paul
08-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Guys, I've been an active ham for 55 years and have plenty of gear. However, I can't see it coming into play in a SHTF situation. Those little GMS / FRS (?) radios would be Ok for neighborhood communication only. I have a battery powered SONY 2010 Shortwave Radio that would be used to listen to activity and foreign broadcast stations that were still active. A decent portable jobber with extra batteries should be mandatory in any SHTF pack.

Also, I sell electronic systems for a living and can tell you the military has the ability to pinpoint a transmission from pretty much anywhere in a couple of seconds, if they choose to do so.

HDR
08-02-2010, 05:33 AM
I posted the radiation pattern of the NVIS antenna at a site and they are still sure no could DF them.

I have a Sony 7600GR; it is a good SWL radio although my Grundig has the best audio. I get a different perspective by listening to SW news. To be blunt, anything is better than the trash our media feeds us.

az_paul
08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree with HDR regarding the daily trash being fed to us by our media. What we hear on shortwave from other countries is biased, as well, but at least some of it is not leftist motivated.

HDR
08-04-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree with HDR regarding the daily trash being fed to us by our media. What we hear on shortwave from other countries is biased, as well, but at least some of it is not leftist motivated.

True, there is plenty of trash (Radio Havana LOL)

Sometimes it can be funny, in Sweden 88% of the population believes communism is a form of democracy. The result of educators focusing so much on WWII fascists they ignored the communists. LOL

All in all the news is better; for example the China's Radio understood the reasons the US in Iraq better than the average American.

BigDumbGerman
10-08-2010, 09:43 PM
I just landed me a Rino 120 GPS/GRMS/FRS to replace my aging (dying) Megellan Sportrac GPS and interface with my existing Midway and Motorolla GMRS/FRS radios. I've heard the GPS is great for the price, but the radio sucks. We'll see. The price was right.

BDG

Penguin
10-09-2010, 01:13 AM
I have quite a few 2 way radios. I have gone through several others. There are others I would love to get but haven't yet.

I have had many FRS/GMRS radios. The FRS ones aren't much good out side of your neighborhood. And even then depending on that they may not even get that far. They are low power, half a watt if I remember right. Also you can't legally have a detachable antena. I think repeters are also not allowed. I am not sure on that though. Most of them are about the same quality wise that I have tested. Range is very limited but, that isn't nesseraly bad. If you just need short range comunications that means it is hard for any one at longer ranges to listen in and you won't pick up interference from longer ranges. The privacy codes are a joke. They offer no privicay, that is a marketing gimmick. What they are good for is filtering out un wanted transmissions. Most of the ones I see now do both FRS and GMRS. Be aware that certian chanels on those are actually GMRS and as such you need a license to operate on those.

The good news on FRS is the radios are relitivly inexpensive and work well for short range comunications. Also no license is required. Lots of people have them, that can work for or against you depending on the situation. Most come with a rechargable batery or run on 3 double a bateries so keeping them running is fairly simple.

On GMRS it is about the same as FRS. The radios are usally the same. The difference is with GMRS you can run higher power ratings so you get better range. My experince though is it is still not good range. Don't belive what the package claims. You can also use a detachable antena if I am not mistaken. I don't think repeters are alowed but I am not sure. Again these are real common. About the same advantages and disavantages as FRS just with better range, with one amjor difference, you need a license. Which is no big deal you just send a check to the FCC and you get a license, that alows you and pretty much you group to run them. Not tests or anything like that just basicly pay the tax and you are good to go.

I have some Moterola radios that run on the 900mhz range. They are rather fancy and were expensive. They run digital signals as opposed to analog. Also they supposodly hop chanels and such so they are supposed to be hard to listen into. How hard I don't know. The bateries last quite a while. They take a special batery though. I like these a lot they have worked quite well for me. I don't know what there range is, I haven't tested that but, not problems so far though I have been using them for short range work. They will even send text mesages. The good news is they are some what secure it is less likely that some one will be listening in if you program them right. The bad news is programing them is a pain. Also keep in mind these radios aren't all that common. While the battery lasts long it is an odd ball one. They are also larger than you average FRS radio though not as big as some of the other ones I have delt with. No license is required for these. If I remember right they are 1 watt and you can use detachable antenas. I dont' think you can use repeters though I am not sure.

I have also had some that operate in the same range made by a different company. Again digital and supposodly hard to listen in on. Tri Square was the company that made them. Same principle as the moterolas just different operating system so they aren't compatable. These I think were much easier to use and supposodly had an insane number of chanels. They could also do test mesaging and were really easy to program. Durablity was not as good as I would have hoped which is why I replaced them and went with the moterolas. They were much smaller and lighter though. The same size as your average FRS radio. They also ran on 3 double a bateries or the rechargable ones that came with it. I had relblity problems also with the two radios being able to comunicate with each other. I belive that one may have been defective when I got it, it apeared to perhaps be a factory referb repackaged and sold as new. I say this as it had problems from day one and when I first fired it up it was already programed and not on factory defaults. It was the one of the two that kicked the bucket. Radio transmissions didn't come in as clearly as they have with the moterolas. These were more than FRS radios but, much cheaper than the motorolas.

I also have a motorola MURS radio. I have not really had a chance to test this one. No licinse required. 2 watt power range, repeaters not alowed. It takes a specal batery that is supposed to last a long time. I haven't really had a chance to test the reality of that though. Bad news is you are limited to 5 chanels but, they are chanels that aren't comonly used. Good or bad news depending on how you look at it is these radios aren't that common. My particular radio can also scramble transmisions. This feture is dependent on having two radios of the same type. A little larger than the 900mhz motorolas but not buy much. It wasn't cheap.

I had a couple of CB radio's from cobra. They were hand helds and were crap. They were so crapy in fact I can't report on how well a CB radio proformed. Based though on my reserch though I suspect it is about the best you will be able to get with out a license. I need to remedy my lack of ablity on this range of comunications given how common it is.

I would love to get my ham license one of these days. I truly belive as far as preparing for a SHTF scenerio this is the way to go. I have the book and got about half way though it before I got side tracked with other projects. I belive they have since changed the test so I don't know how much point there would be to finishing the book at this point.

I have used in the past other radios that were run by a buissness that had a licese to use the chanel they operated on. They also had a repeater. Proformance was impressive. I don't have the resources to make buying the licinse to have a chanel and getting a repeater and all the other things that go with that route posible though sadly. I wish that I did.

HDR
10-09-2010, 04:26 PM
My transistor ham rig runs on 12VDC; it has a general coverage (500 kHz to 30 MHz) receiver and if I snip a diode and it will transmit where it receives.
Power output can be varied from about 10 to 40 watts on AM and ~10 to 100 watts on CW or SSB. Local transmissions and depending on conditions as far away as Australia are easily possible.

If I lose my antennas; I have plenty of copperweld to build some.

http://www.radioworks.com/cwire.html

True, when our media was whining and gnashing their teeth China Radio International agreed with Bush for nailing Afghanistan and Iraq.

It appears real communists see things more clearly than our leftists and communists. LOL