PDA

View Full Version : Home garden fertilizer question.....

Ruskiegunlover
01-24-2013, 09:10 PM
In the potatoe thread I posted on this. I have access to a virtually unlimited supply of grass fed cow patties on my families cattle ranch. I can get as many as I want. My garden is about 10X 15. I am planting potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and maybe corn. How many cow patties would you crunch up and turn into the soil as fertilizer? I don't want to burn the crops, and intend to start adding them here before too long. Any idea?

charger0122
01-24-2013, 09:15 PM
i used to run a mulch business an we would buy tractor trailer loads of mushroom compost from a mushroom factory in tn. best stuff iv ever used in my life.mix about 50/50 with some good dirt and your good to go. but whats even better is chicken shit.
the mushroom compost is mainly horse shit from race tracks an farms.

coppertales
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
When I had a cow, I tilled up about 6-8 inches of cow pies into the garden. I had a killer garden in those days.....chris3

old Grump
01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
10x15, I wouldn't want much more than a bushel basket. dump in the compost along with your kitchen waste, leaves grass trimmings, shredded paper, sawdust or wood chips and let it break down, Then till it in. You don't want to just dump it in your garden uncomposted or you will be planting every weedseed those cow critters ever ate.

Schuetzenman
01-24-2013, 09:30 PM
It would be better if you composted the cow poo. Weed seeds in raw cow crap will sprout up in your garden potentially. The raised beds I grow in have a soil mix of 1/3rd vermiculite, 1/3rd peat moss and 1/3rd a mix of composts. The composts I use are; mushroom, cow and chicken. The chicken is very powerful, the bags are 1/2 the size of the cow and mushroom. Using different composts brings different nuetrients to the table that one source alone can't deliver. Tomatoes and peppers like calcium in the soil, get low calcium and you'll get blossom end rot on the tomatoes and pepper fruits.

samiam
01-24-2013, 09:33 PM
cow manure isn't very "hot" it would take an extreme amount to burn plants chicken shit is another story a little goes a long way

L1A1Rocker
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
It would be better if you composted the cow poo. Weed seeds in raw cow crap will sprout up in your garden potentially. The raised beds I grow in have a soil mix of 1/3rd vermiculite, 1/3rd peat moss and 1/3rd a mix of composts. The composts I use are; mushroom, cow and chicken. The chicken is very powerful, the bags are 1/2 the size of the cow and mushroom. Using different composts brings different nuetrients to the table that one source alone can't deliver. Tomatoes and peppers like calcium in the soil, get low calcium and you'll get blossom end rot on the tomatoes and pepper fruits.

I agree with everything above. Composting will heat out the unwanted stuff, unfortunatly you're a bit late to start composting for this season. As Shuetz said, you need to get a good blend of compost, not just one source.

As Shuetz mentioned, tomatoes in a container, or raised bed need added calcium to ward of BER. Pick up a bag of dolomite lime (sometimes called agricultural lime) from the local nursery to blend into your soil mix. It works great!

El Laton Caliente
01-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Grow 100 lbs. Of Potatoes In 4 Square Feet: {How To}

http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

They ain't kidding...

I have some old red 'tatars spouting that are going into tires this week...

Warthogg
01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
cow manure isn't very "hot" it would take an extreme amount to burn plants chicken shit is another story a little goes a long way

Agreed.

Wart

L1A1Rocker
01-25-2013, 12:17 AM
http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/

They ain't kidding...

I have some old red 'tatars spouting that are going into tires this week...

Great link. It is mentioned "Yukon Golds, and all early varieties set fruit once and do not do well in towers. You only get potatoes in the bottom 6 inches, which is what I got. Late season alternatives to yukon gold are Yellow Fin and Binjte."

Anyone know some good spuds for going vertical?

Ruskiegunlover
01-25-2013, 07:12 AM
Some of you are planting in january? I can't plant here until marhc.....Usually don't harvest for a couple months. I might offset the plant, and harvest every few weeks, to have a continuous supply.

El Laton Caliente
01-25-2013, 08:39 AM
On the fresh cow poo... Get plastic barrels and make "tea". Fill the barrel third or half full of cow paddies and fill with water. Water your plants once a week from the barrel(s) and refill with water. Black barrels and full sun speed the process.

studmuffin
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
:bull: Ok , suppose I dont have access to cow shit. What is plan B? :fighting0024: :think:

binky59
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I used cow chips in my garden but liked swamp muck better. I tilled in about 75lbs into a 15x15 plot,
mixed with grass clippings and leaf mulch. Worked great for tomatos, chiles, climbing beans, and
kale.

Warthogg
01-25-2013, 10:57 AM
:bull: Ok , suppose I dont have access to cow shit. What is plan B? :fighting0024: :think:

Rabbit, horse, bat ???

Wart

Gunner1558
01-25-2013, 01:49 PM
No good for right now, but you can compost grass clippings very quickly,

I tend to keep mine until the plants define their seperate rows, then spread the clippings between the rows to hold moisture and keep the weeds down.

Horse manure is the last resort. Even when well rotted it tends to have many, many weed seeds that are not killed in the digestive process of horses.

High nitrogen fertilizer can be used sparingly, and I often add it to the lawn clippings to promote their decay.

The resultant compost must be used sparingly, or you get huge plants with very little fruit.

Same for chicken manure.

If you use chemical fertilizers, you can take a soil sample to the local Dept of Agriculture office, and they will analyze it for free, or very little, and tell you exactly what would be the best combination to use.

studmuffin
01-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Here now today. Studmuffin is offering to shit in your yard/garden. I assure you that my shit is the best shit in town. LOL

Gunner1558
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Here now today. Studmuffin is offering to shit in your yard/garden. I assure you that my shit is the best shit in town. LOL

Probably pretty low in weed seed content!

studmuffin
01-25-2013, 03:08 PM
I have been known to eat nuts and berries.

Ruskiegunlover
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
El latone, is that safe? I would think it would stink to high heaven.......Plants would like it?

Schuetzenman
01-25-2013, 08:35 PM

Do what I do go to home depot or lowes and buy composted cow poop, mushroom compost and Black Hen brand Chicken Crap Composte. Mix one bag of each together and spred in a 4x4 bed, till into normal soil or turn into the faux soil mix like I use in my raised beds.