SaR 1 wearing Russian red
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/sar_1_wi_russian_red.JPG

mack8384
01-27-2013, 11:31 AM
And another SAR 1 in Tactical garb
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/sar_1.JPG

Wild Bill
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Nice rifles. The SAR 1 is my favorite shooter of all AK rifles.

mack8384
01-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanx Bill, well I can't say the SARs are my most favorites, but they are the ones that shot the most ;^D

tnakfan
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
I like the optic on the second one, What are they?

imanaknut
01-27-2013, 02:34 PM
Nice SARs!!!

When they were being sold new, few people realized that they were the only true military issue AKM sold to we who shall not be infringed. Everything else was a commercial rifle. They were used by Romanian trainees. ATF allowed them in (bless their unconstitutional hearts) until late 1993 when they realized that being imported in 100% as issued condition with the capability of accepting a standard AK magazine was a violation of the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment, so they banned them.

Too bad because even though most looked ugly (hey their military doesn't care how they look) for the most part they were supremely reliable and in the right hands very accurate. I have an SAR-1 that I stopped counting after firing just over 13,000 rounds. Obviously that when ammo was "only" $75 per 1000.

mack8384
01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
tnakfan, Optics is a Russian Red Dot sight.
Nut- SARs arent ugly!!!! They were just dressed poorly...give them a little attention and dress them up in fancy furniture and they can stand toe to toe with the elite..:shss:

imanaknut
01-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Forgot my internet purple to indicate sarcasm at calling an AKM variant "ugly". :smiley31:

sti2relaxxin
03-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Imanaknut- I have a 2003 SAR-1. Given that it has all it's original FCG, is it subject to the common trigger slap issue?

O.S.O.K.
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
This thread reminds me of the old days on the board. Good lookin Rommies!

imanaknut
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Imanaknut- I have a 2003 SAR-1. Given that it has all it's original FCG, is it subject to the common trigger slap issue?

While trigger slap was worse on the earlier SARs, no AK is truly immune to is due to the geometry of the fire control group. The only way to find out is to fire the rifle. And the bad part is some trigger slap doesn't show immediately but can take many rounds before your finger feels the disconnector striking the trigger which is what you feel.

Many times,when I purchased an AK variant with a Century trigger group, the first thing I would do is pull the disconnector and with a dremel grind off some of the bottom where it could strike the part of the trigger between the arms that hold the hammer spring. I had one Maadi MISR S/A which was a Century 922(r) mess that the trigger slapped so bad I put the rifle down after two rounds. It was obvious by the shiny spot on the trigger where the disconnector was hitting it. One dremel equal cheap fix.

imanaknut
03-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Continuing the Romanian looks like a Russian thread, how about an SAR-3 in full AK-74 dress?

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/SAR-3-AK74.JPG

mrkalashnikov
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Sweeet...

FunkyPertwee
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Awesome '74 clone. :smiley31:

Two years ago when I was dirt poor broke I went to a gunshop with a buddy. I saw an SAR-3 for $425 or so, and would have bought it myself except for the previously mentioned poverty I was enduring. My bud was in the market for a tactical carbine (he said "assault rifle") so I pointed it out. After shooting it for the first time, I told him about the process of converting it to an AK-74 clone. So now thats what it is, Romanian 22mm front sight block and all. He was a lucky noob to have someone point out such a sweet deal at the shop.

sti2relaxxin
03-14-2013, 11:43 AM
Many times,when I purchased an AK variant with a Century trigger group, the first thing I would do is pull the disconnector and with a dremel grind off some of the bottom where it could strike the part of the trigger between the arms that hold the hammer spring. I had one Maadi MISR S/A which was a Century 922(r) mess that the trigger slapped so bad I put the rifle down after two rounds. It was obvious by the shiny spot on the trigger where the disconnector was hitting it. One dremel equal cheap fix.
I believe the fix you mentioned above is also detailed in the link below:
http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/slapfix.shtml

I'll look into doing this as a preventative measure on my old FCG even though I recently acquired a Tapco FCG which I plan on using. Thanks for your input imanaknut; your posts are a wealth of knowledge on this site.

imanaknut
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the kind compliment. Knowledge is worthless unless it is shared.