PDA

View Full Version : AR15 brakes/flash suppressors

Doug76
01-27-2013, 02:56 PM
In a few words, I hate the dang things. Makes the gun way too loud, and I don't need the brake as the recoil is low already.
But to keep the barrel legal length I have to have something on there.
The problem is you can't find, or at least I can't, a muzzle device without the holes in it, except for the fake suppressors,
and I don't want that on the end of my AR.
What I need is something like the grenade launcher device on the end of the Yugo SKS, but sized so it is legal and not able
to be used as a launcher.
Can anyone help me?

Avanarts
01-27-2013, 06:33 PM
In a few words, I hate the dang things. Makes the gun way too loud, and I don't need the brake as the recoil is low already.
The problem is you can't find, or at least I can't, a muzzle device without the holes in it, except for the fake suppressors,
What I need is something like the grenade launcher device on the end of the Yugo SKS, but sized so it is legal and not able
Can anyone help me?

How long is your barrel now without a brake on it? If the brake is removable that is what counts anyway. It shouldn't be hard to find something that would work for you, but first you need to determine what length you need.

stinker
01-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Go to any small machine shop and give them the thread spec and have them make a simple muzzle nut/thread cover if there's nothing available mass production.

Should'nt cost much.

Krupski
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Can anyone help me?

How long is your barrel without the muzzle device? If it's less than 16 inches, you best keep quiet about it and fix it permanently. If it's 16 inches or more, you don't need anything.

Doug76
01-27-2013, 09:50 PM
The barrel is 14.5" without it, so I need something more there than a thread protecter.
A friend of mine who has a milling machine and years of experience now has the specs and will make me one.
It's really kind of silly. Some manufacturer ought to be offering what I'm looking for.
Practically everyone complains about the increased noise level those things produce,
and since the round doesn't have much recoil to begin with I find it unnecessary in a non-combat role.

NAPOTS
01-27-2013, 11:33 PM
a flash supressor is not as bad as a brake generally. I had a A2 look-a-like brake before I debanned my M4. That thing was LOUD, people complain a lot about the mini-y-comp that bushmaster used to put on their 14.5 inch barrels to bring them to over 16" too.

If you took the muzzle break off of it and the upper is on your lower, you are in possession of an unregistered NFA item. Not good to talk about on the internet, so I'll assume you either haven't removed the brake or the upper is not on the lower.

You'll need to permanently affix the break to the barrel in a way that is acceptable to the ATF and bring the total length to at least 16". There are a number of flash suppressors made for this, you can find one that suits you. A standard length one wont cut the mustard however. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16parts_muzzledevices
The link has a good selection of them, most are not as long as you'll need.

I believe you can either solder it on with high temp silver solder or pin the break to the barrel and weld over the pin. This is probably how your upper was originally done. When I debanned my M4 I had to locate the weld, grind it down carefully with a dremel and pull the pin out.

Avanarts
01-28-2013, 12:01 AM
The barrel is 14.5" without it, so I need something more there than a thread protecter.
A friend of mine who has a milling machine and years of experience now has the specs and will make me one.
It's really kind of silly. Some manufacturer ought to be offering what I'm looking for.
Practically everyone complains about the increased noise level those things produce,
and since the round doesn't have much recoil to begin with I find it unnecessary in a non-combat role.

The big issue I see is that the device you use to lengthen the barrel must be permanently attached, usually by welding or silver-soldering with the right silver-solder. The silver-solder must melt at a high enough temperature to satisfy dot gov demands.

Any time you put that much heat to a barrel you risk ruining it if you're not an expert. In other words it's not something I would attempt.

In the end you might be better off selling that barrel and getting a 16" barrel. Or better yet find someone who has a 16" "ban barrel" would trade for yours.

Schuetzenman
01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
The big issue I see is that the device you use to lengthen the barrel must be permanently attached, usually by welding or silver-soldering with the right silver-solder. The silver-solder must melt at a high enough temperature to satisfy dot gov demands.

Any time you put that much heat to a barrel you risk ruining it if you're not an expert. In other words it's not something I would attempt.

In the end you might be better off selling that barrel and getting a 16" barrel. Or better yet find someone who has a 16" "ban barrel" would trade for yours.

Or you can do form 4 and Short Barrel Rifle status the lower and run any length barrel you want with a flash hider on it. $200 bucks and maybe 6 to 8 months in wait later you don't have to have a loud brake to stay legal.

deth502
01-29-2013, 03:15 AM

or blind pinned. even harder to remove without damaging the barrel.

Doug76
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Nope, I haven't removed the existing device. It is not pinned or soldered, and I can loosen it with a wrench and it does start spinning off. This is all I've confirmed.
Why would it have to be permanent? It's pretty obvious it's made to remove, so I figured it would be okay to replace it with something else.

deth502
01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
the barrel needs to ALWAYS be at least 16", therefore, if the barrel is under 16", as your claiming, then the muzzle device that is used to extend the barrel to the legal 16" need to be PERMINANTLY attached, otherwise the barrel is not legally 16", meaning that either you have a sbr that you have registerd and paid the tax stamp on, or you are in felony possession of an illegal nfa weapon.

Doug76
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I was in error, the barrel without muzzle device is indeed a bit over 16".

deth502
01-30-2013, 09:36 PM
your good to go with or without a muzzle device then. and it would not need to be permanently attached.

Doug76
02-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Well, loud or not, me and the AR have done for the first wild boar of the year. 200lb, shot in the throat from head on. He ran 5 steps and collapsed.

Doug76
02-20-2013, 09:00 AM
2287 2288 2289

The new non-muzzle braking, non-flash suppressing device.
Not my AR, but a neighbor's of the fellow who made it for me.
They tested it for function, worked perfectly. Neighbor said it definitely was quieter to the shooter.

Schuetzenman
02-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Looks like something from a Si-Fi movie prop gun.

NAPOTS
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Well, loud or not, me and the AR have done for the first wild boar of the year. 200lb, shot in the throat from head on. He ran 5 steps and collapsed.

How can this be? I thought .223 was only good for shooting poodles.

Doug76
02-24-2013, 08:57 PM
How can this be? I thought .223 was only good for shooting poodles.

Yep, heard similar things myself. Who'd a thunk a big ol' hog could fall to this pop gun? LOL

Doug76
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Looks like something from a Si-Fi movie prop gun.

Yeah? How is that? Looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of these things on the market. And it does what I wanted it to do, reduce the noise I hear without changing anything else about it's shooting character. I've got to blue it still. It won't be shiny metal finish for long. Here it is on mine....2304

Doug76
04-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Got the new device blued now.2472

O.S.O.K.
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
So, basically a thread protector. Kinda big for that but looks good. Nice job on the bluing. I personally prefer a standard or similar flash supressor.

Doug76
04-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I understand, but they are just so dang noisy. Yep it looks a bit large (I was going for the suppressor look and not just a small thread protector which looks a bit silly to me), and it was heavier than the original flash suppressor, but it seems to have not affected the balance or accuracy in any way. It's definitely quieter to the shooter (me) and anyone around the sides and back of me. Up front I'm sure it's still quite a bang! LOL