PDA

View Full Version : Mythical Norinco AKS-74 5.45x39mm

RBTF70
01-28-2013, 01:14 AM
My first posting. See if this works.

Another sighting of the Norinco 5.45x39 Yetti...

Has anyone else seen these? :tooth:

Enjoy!

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2205&d=1359352818

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2206&d=1359352818

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2207&d=1359352818

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2208&d=1359352818

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2209&d=13593528182205

Dave H.

Schuetzenman
01-28-2013, 06:43 AM
I find it odd that the 5.45x39 numbers have a different reflectivity and light value than every other stamping on the first image. My conclusion is photoshop altered.

AKTexas
01-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Looks like a donor receiver rebuilt with Bulgarian parts. Might explain the different appearance of the markings.

01-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Who is the f00l trying to pass this off as original?

The original Norinco AK-74 Rifle is designated "Type 88SB", this one says 84S which is the .223/5.56 version which I have owned in the past.

The receiver in the photo has a sandblasted quality to the finish, whereas a Norinco is blued and has a somewhat brushed quality

The gas tube has no ports like a typical Norinco

The FSB is not hooded

Why is the "DAL TX" stamp the same font type stamping as the "Made in China"?

Why is the "4" in 84S (.223) different than the "4" in AKS-74?

Why is the lettering for AKS-74 etc in perfect order and yet, the remaining fonts are all jacked as one might expect on a Norinco?

This rifle is either a fake, or someone has re-manufactured it and re-stamped the receiver.

imanaknut
01-28-2013, 12:49 PM
What 308 said. /\ /\ /\

RBTF70
01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your comments!
First, let me say this item is not for sale or trade. My collection is like a black hole: Everything goes in; nothing comes out. As for the PhotoShop, the photos were only altered to blur the last number of the SN and reduce the pixel count. The markings appear just as they are.
This rifle came from the estate of a good friend who recently died. He was a prolific inventor, and had 105 issued US Patents, in the area of Electrical Engineering (his first profession) and firearms patents. I had purchased items from him in the years prior to his death, and have been involved in liquidating the substantial estate. I had never seen this rifle prior to his death. It had been buried deep in his safes for many years. It called to me, and I purchased it without knowing anything about it.
The more I research this rifle, the more convinced I am that this is one of the AK74 samples that the Norinco custom shop made for shows and reviewers. My friend knew a number of people who wrote reviews and participated in a number of shot shows. I suspect that is how he acquired this piece.
This rifle is not blue. It is black with a "military" finish, not polished. It appears unfired. I suspect the caliber marking was applied by the custom shop, so the font is different. All parts except the barrel and possibly the trunion were probably from the 5.56 production models. The surfaces are flat, and nothing has ever been buffed off. The large thread on the flash hider/muzzle break is right handed. There is no importer shown, just "Made in China by Norinco, Dal TX". The pins and other hardware are grey. I wouldn't be surprised it Norinco used black plastic Bulgarian parts on the few prototypes, as the cost of doing a custom injection mold for a few parts is prohibitive, and they matched the color of this "Black Rifle" nicely.

I had hoped that some reader of this forum would have a link to an original review, or information on an original example from the pre-ban days. I welcome any additional request for information or photos and appreciate any real substantive information.

imanaknut
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Sorry for not giving you my customary welcome, so a belated Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The reason we believe you have a home made rifle is that the 84S was 5.56x45, and the serial number on the trunion is from the range of numbers that would be found on a Norinco 84S. One of the few things about the Chinese AK variants is that they all were blued with most looking like you could see the grain of the metal. Also all threaded barrels were standard AK 14x1mm left hand. If the barrel on your rifle is right hand, it is not Norinco.

With the exception of a few NHMs and a rare MAK-90, they all had a closed hoop front sight, not the dog-eared style of the European AK.

While Norinco and Poly Tech would provide custom rifles, they had a requirement of 200 minimum order (per what D Keng told me personally) so the idea of a one off is not likely.

My guess is the rifle was made (ATF for "assembled") here in the US using a front trunion from a donor 84S, a custom barrel or European AK-74 modified to fit the 84S trunion, a Chinese receiver with the Norinco markings already on it, so just the new name, caliber and city were stamped on it here.

A nice rifle, yes but unless you can get some paperwork from Norinco, I seriously doubt it is a factory build.

PS, I added the pictures to your first post to make them easier to drool at. :D Noticed the front sight base has the threads for the AK-74 brake on it like the European rifles.

NAPOTS
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Sorry for not giving you my customary welcome, so a belated Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

The reason we believe you have a home made rifle is that the 84S was 5.56x45, and the serial number on the trunion is from the range of numbers that would be found on a Norinco 84S. One of the few things about the Chinese AK variants is that they all were blued with most looking like you could see the grain of the metal. Also all threaded barrels were standard AK 14x1mm left hand. If the barrel on your rifle is right hand, it is not Norinco.

With the exception of a few NHMs and a rare MAK-90, they all had a closed hoop front sight, not the dog-eared style of the European AK.

While Norinco and Poly Tech would provide custom rifles, they had a requirement of 200 minimum order (per what D Keng told me personally) so the idea of a one off is not likely.

My guess is the rifle was made (ATF for "assembled") here in the US using a front trunion from a donor 84S, a custom barrel or European AK-74 modified to fit the 84S trunion, a Chinese receiver with the Norinco markings already on it, so just the new name, caliber and city were stamped on it here.

A nice rifle, yes but unless you can get some paperwork from Norinco, I seriously doubt it is a factory build.

PS, I added the pictures to your first post to make them easier to drool at. :D Noticed the front sight base has the threads for the AK-74 brake on it like the European rifles.

I was going to ask why someone would do this to a preban norinco but then I remembered that during the last ban this was the only way to ha e the side folder legally. That guy had a few bucks in that rifle. It looks to me like the rifle was blasted and refi ished you can see the original brushed finish of the receiver by the trunion where it would be hard to blast

Helen Keller
01-28-2013, 09:20 PM
:lool:

shoulda stamped some eagles/swastikas on it too when he did it.

WOulda made it more authentic.

NAPOTS
01-28-2013, 10:54 PM
:lool:

shoulda stamped some eagles/swastikas on it too when he did it.

WOulda made it more authentic.

I remember people doing stuff like this during the ban. I don't think there is anything dishonest going on here the op just misunderstood what he has