PDA

View Full Version : Question

KnightMare
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I've been wanting to find out the year my mak 90 was manafuactured
But I'm having a little trouble doing so.
I've asked a few people and they all tell me the date should be the first two numbers on the serial number.
But my mak only has five numbers for a serial number and I can't seem to find the year.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2211&d=1359490973

It seems that everything written on the side of the reciver was done on a last minute notice.

mack8384
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I've been wanting to find out the year my mak 90 was manafuactured
But I'm having a little trouble doing so.
I've asked a few people and they all tell me the date should be the first two numbers on the serial number.
But my mak only has five numbers for a serial number and I can't seem to find the year.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

It seems that everything written on the side of the reciver was done on a last minute notice.
The maks with five digit sn where caught in the middle of the ban. So it was built prior to 89

imanaknut
01-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I hope you don't mind that I installed your photo in your post for lazy people like me. :D

Anyway, only the 1993 and 1994 were reliably stamped with the first two digits of the serial number as the date as in "93" and "94". I have seen a couple with "92" but other than that there is no way to tell when one was built or imported.

Your rifle it definitely one that was "caught in port" when the Bush1 fear of "evil looking weapons" was enforced. Yours does have a six digit number, the first being a really poor "6" which along with the fact that there are markings lined out, the MAK-90 is a different size, and they really did a good job of grinding off the 66 in a triangle and "56S" to remove that evil name. This was done in late 1989, so I would guess that as mack8384 said, it was built most likely in 1989 or 1988. My guess would be a 1989 base on the way the rifle was marked.

Oh, I would guess the first digit in the serial number got damaged when they ground off the original name, and it was reapplied to remain legal per ATF.