PDA

View Full Version : new from ga and and new ak owner

yotaholik
01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
I'm in transition from Ar to ak. the ruggedness appealed to me important a sucker for reliability.
its a wasr 10. any tips or info appreciated. i know there's alto of negativity on the wasrr but I've done my research. it should serve me well i think.

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2212&d=1359533148

charger0122
01-30-2013, 03:11 AM
WELCOME! you found the right place to ask.
where at in ga?

yotaholik
01-30-2013, 04:14 AM
WELCOME! you found the right place to ask.
where at in ga?

dalton

charger0122
01-30-2013, 04:26 AM
land of carpet i used to live up by calhoun. you shot it yet?

mack8384
01-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Welcome, The WASR seies of rifles gather thier name from the Wassenaar arrangement, which is basicly an arms control arrrangement. It was originaly a single stack AK that CAI imported and modified the mag well to accept double stacks and added enough US parts for 922r compliance. The gas piston, pistol grip and the fire control group (FCG) were swapped out with US parts.
Early WASR 10 are known to experiance trigger slap problems (when firing the trigger would bounce ack and sting the trigger finger)..
CAI fixed this in later versions. If yours is stamped TAPCO USA G2 on the left side of the trigger it will have the updated FCG. It you have an early version that suffers from trigger slap it is an easy fix by just swapping out the FCG with a TAPCO G2 or RSA FCG.
Some of the WASRs may have canted front sights (FSB) and gas blocks. If it is canted it is usually just a slight cosmetic issue and does not affect function.
WASRs stamped recievers are lacking the ma dimples on the side of the recievers.
They are very nice entry level AKs and as you say 'should serve you well"

yotaholik
01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
land of carpet i used to live up by calhoun. you shot it yet?

where u live? i have not shot it yet cant wait though hope she does well .

Schuetzenman
01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Congrats on the WASR. I see you have 2 good mags and 2 Tapco mags. The Tapco's are suspect for function, never trust them other than on a gun range.

tnakfan
01-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Welcome from Ocoee Tn Nice gun shows there in Dalton

El Laton Caliente
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the Board!

imanaknut
01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Hope you don't mind me installing your photo so that lazy people like me don't have to open a separate window or tab. :D

Granted the WASR might be an "entry level" AKM variant, but once you have verified that Century didn't mess up when they opened the mag well (the first couple of shots will tell you) it should be just as good as any other AK variant. Guarantee that except for not being full-auto, it will still sound like an AKM sounds.

It might not be the prettiest, but it is one you don't mind taking the stock set off and refinishing the wood into something you like. You can also refinish the receiver with a good high temp paint, or a ceramic paint, or other of the gun coats available. When you are done, you will have something you can be proud of and enjoy.

yotaholik
01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Hope you don't mind me installing your photo so that lazy people like me don't have to open a separate window or tab. :D

Granted the WASR might be an "entry level" AKM variant, but once you have verified that Century didn't mess up when they opened the mag well (the first couple of shots will tell you) it should be just as good as any other AK variant. Guarantee that except for not being full-auto, it will still sound like an AKM sounds.

It might not be the prettiest, but it is one you don't mind taking the stock set off and refinishing the wood into something you like. You can also refinish the receiver with a good high temp paint, or a ceramic paint, or other of the gun coats available. When you are done, you will have something you can be proud of and enjoy.
what will happen in first shots if Magwell is too wide? also are even the cheapest steel mags better than tapco?

imanaknut
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
As long as the round chambers, not a problem. If the mag doesn't fit in the mag well correctly you will have feeding problems. Some reported was bolt overrunning the round and not picking it up, picking it up at the wrong angle and the round doesn't go into the chamber, and double feeds. These are rare but have happened. For the most part, WASRs have been a very good entry level AKM.

Some side to side slop in the mag is ok, but not that common fore and aft play can lead to troubles.

As for mags, the nice thing about the AK/AKM is that all mags from all countries will work in any rifle. Standard issue steel AK mags usually only have problems if they get dented or rust forms under the side plates at the top, which causes the mag body to bulge inside keeping the follower from moving freely. Easy fix with a dremel. Tapco mags are hit and miss, so as mentioned above just use them at the range. For home defense use a proven factory standard capacity mag.

blade
02-06-2013, 08:27 AM
:welcome: yota!!!!!!!!!!!

I've only love for my WASR 10...no negativity hera!!!!!!!!:anim_beer-1:
I wish the same for you yota:pray:

deth502
02-06-2013, 05:32 PM
:welcome:

Partisan1983
02-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Welcome!!!

Post often and regularly. All opinions are welcome here. :)

videodon
02-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Welcome!
Have fun and be safe!
(My wife's from Gainesville, GA.)
;)

Dr. Gonzo GED
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Nothing wrong with a WASR. Nothing wrong at all!