PDA

View Full Version : My 1911 Using Glasses!

ltorlo64
01-30-2013, 10:57 PM
I took my 1911 out when I shot this months challenge. I shot 15 rounds at 10 yards. This is much better than last time. The big difference was wearing my glasses instead of my contacts. I had 5 rounds that were a little off, one of which barely touched the paper. The majority though were near the center. I think I just need to keep practicing, it is getting better. The other thing I am thinking about doing when we get to Virginia is to upgrade my sites. Maybe even some good night sights. Anyway, here is the target and the pistol.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/531/medium/1911_30_JAN_2013.JPG

My Springfield GI Issue 1911. Nothing special, but I have never had a FTF or any other malfunction.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/550/medium/100_0533.jpg

old Grump
01-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Hot Damn, that is good shooting. Aren't you glad you didn't get rid of the gun now.

Where are you going? Dam Neck, Norfolk, Virginia Beach? I know Virginia Beach has the All Navy rifle and pistol championships in April and Dam Neck has a pistol range so I assume they have a rifle range too. I gained 40 pounds going to school at Dam Neck, bad bad place for a lonely sailor and a world class mess hall. It would have been better if I had homework to do but you don't take top secret text books out of the lab.

ltorlo64
01-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Actually I am going to DC, but I am going to live in Virginia, gun laws are much better than DC or Maryland.

I am glad I didn't get rid of that 1911. I need to start increasing the range I am shooting. I hope to be able to join the Navy Shooting Team while in DC. I really think it would help my marksmanship abilities to get some good, hands on instruction vice just reading books and then going to the range to try them out. Nice thing about the Navy Shooting Team is you just show up and they start teaching. You even get to shoot in the local matches to see if you can qualify for Regional and other big matches. I have to say that getting my Master's is the priority, but joining the Shooting Team and learning to play my guitar are close seconds and thirds.

old Grump
02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
If you ever get by the ATF training facility in Martinsburg, W.Va. maybe they will let you use their range. Considering they are the gang that cant shoot straight they obviously aren't using it much. :coffee:

I'm guessing you are in the Georgetown Masters program for future fleet admirals....

Schuetzenman
02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Good to see you didn't sell it and that you are getting better. I wonder why your glasses are better than your contacts. Do you have astigmatism in your master eye? I do have a bit of it and when I had contacts they didn't correct that unlike my glasses.

ltorlo64
02-03-2013, 11:29 PM
Good to see you didn't sell it and that you are getting better. I wonder why your glasses are better than your contacts. Do you have astigmatism in your master eye? I do have a bit of it and when I had contacts they didn't correct that unlike my glasses.

I do have an atigmatism. Generally I don't have an issue with the contacts, but I am starting to have to use reading glasses. With my contacts I couldn't really focus on the sights. I didn't really notice that until I shot with my glasses. I am going to keep working at this. I am happy to see that I am seeing improvement.

runningbear
03-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Happy to see you shooting the 1911 .45, wish I could find some range type .45 Ammo. so I could shoot my two Colts.