PDA

View Full Version : help with my WASR, feeding issue - new to the AK

ImBrocks3
02-03-2013, 09:02 AM
hello, this is my first post about my first AK that I bought the other day from a client. it is a GP WASR-10/63. My client told he he had issues with feeding some cheap hollowpoints he had, which I found out that he was correct. after some frustration, i loaded some brass casing FMJ and it worked nicely.
I went to a local gunsmith and he told me it was originally designed as a 10 rd single stack and was modified for double stack. The bad news is that he says that when that is done, soft rounds or hollow points will no longer feed and I am stuck with firing FMJ. a little on the expensive side and I cant even find the ammo around here. a little frustrated since I wanted an AK because of its rep of firing anything under and condition. anybody else had this problem?
any help would be appreciated

Doug

binky59
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Most of my WASR's feed fine, one had a few fail to feed issues when I ran
hollow points, Solution is to polish the feed ramp, use a dremel with a cone
shaped polishing tip in it, go from red compound, then white. You don't want
to grind the ramp, just make it smooth. No more problems after that.
Welcome to the forum

imanaknut
02-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I hate to break this to you, but Mr. Kalashnikov designed his rifle to fire FMJ due to agreed on rules of engagement. I have found that you can cut a small chamfer at the 6 O'clock position of the barrel breach to assist in loading hollow points. I have done it with a dremel and it doesn't take much to make a small "feed ramp" in the barrel.

While you will find many AKs that feed everything reliably, many do not have a feed ramp and have trouble with anything but FMJ.

ImBrocks3
02-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks folks, I guess firing FMJ is not the worst thing in the world!