PDA

View Full Version : ak nut a Clayco question

Dan44
02-04-2013, 02:09 AM
I have heard of red stocked Claycos over the years this is a first for me. it has different style markings like the 00005 sold last year. So, any ideas?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328335321

0005 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322603929

imanaknut
02-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Been looking at that serial number 000001 Clayco and other than it has orange handguards and pistol grip instead of the greenish black ones normally found on the Clayco rifles, the markings aren't right. The ones that I have seen are heavy stamped, and of more than one font type. 000001 has a different font than any other Clayco I have seen, and they are too perfect and too well aligned. They almost look laser etched instead of roll marked or stamped. I have heard some came with the orange stock set, but personally have never seen one.

Personally without written documentation that this is a true serial number one Clay County Sports import, I would be afraid that it was a "garage" build made to look like a Clayco.

El Laton Caliente
02-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Dealer sample?

I've seen Zavasta samples that were much nicer than the production run...

The Roman font looks like it was machine engraved and not stamped...

imanaknut
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Word of warning, if trying to research the Clayco rifle, make sure you know the site you are clicking on. Wonderful Google linked a nice site with what looked like info on the clayco, but as soon as I clicked on it, it tried to download a very nice (for them) trojan onto my pc. Glad my anti-virus programs caught it before it downloaded. I really hate people like that!

imanaknut
02-04-2013, 06:40 PM
A little update after a long day.

All Clayco fixed stock models came from Ling Hua. All underfolders came from Min Shan. The rifle in the auction, supposedly 000001 is marked Qing Hua Fact. As far as I know Clay County Sports never imported a rifle from this location. That along with the way the markings are on the receiver, and the wrong color stock set tells me this is an elaborate fake.

One marked 000001 would have been kept by the importer or a very special person. There would be paperwork with it to show it. I know for a fact that the Kengs kept the rifles serial number 01 and 02, and possibly a couple beyond, but when they sold them, they always had a letter with them verifying who owned them and when. This too makes the Clayco in the auction highly suspect.

Russbirch
02-14-2013, 11:01 AM
I had watched that "funny" gun on GB for a few days. There are quite a few things wrong with it for sure. I called a friend of mine who is a fanatical collector, and he say he knows the guy in NY who actually owns number 1, and that ain't it.

imanaknut
02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the update Russbirch. If nothing else, the way the receiver is marked is nothing like any other Chinese AK variant imported. Always nice to be able to point to the real one when you can find it.

s15v8
02-14-2013, 12:45 PM
I almost feel bad for the sucker who won the auction for it.

Russbirch
02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
I know the other guy who was bidding on it and I wrote to him informing him of the issues, and he stopped bidding. Yeah, I too feel sorry for the guy who got schnookered in the deal.

Of all the stuff I've gotten online and from in-person deals, I got stuck with only one fake deal. The gun had the original importer very professionally sanded off and it was restamped. It was done SO well, that I didn't even notice it under very bright full spectrum work bench lighting. It was several months later when I was Barricading the gun and the sunlight caught it just so, and I noticed the color was oh so slightly different. Still a great gun, and one out of "that many" ain't that bad.

I did have a guy try in person to sell me an "ultra rare 84S Spiker". One look at the gun and I was like... " that is a Poly front trunnion and barrel and that is a Norinco receiver and the factory code is gone and the number on the bolt carrier is in the wrong place. WTF dude? He wrapped it back up in a towel and quickly took it back to his car.