PDA

View Full Version : Mak90s

s15v8
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi guys, I would like to know more about the mak90s how they ended up here and such, I know I should research it myself, but I'm deployed overseas and the Internet here can be really frustrating with the slower speed out here. Any information I can get , I'll be really appreciative for your help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

imanaknut
02-09-2013, 04:47 PM
The MAK-90 started life as the Norinco 56S. In 1989 George Bush the First became convinced that evil features like bayo lugs, flash hiders, folding or collapsible stock, removable mags and pistol grips caused honest people to become criminals. By executive order he demanded ATF enforce the sporting purpose provisions of the 1968 Gun Control Act which stated that imported rifles were evil unless they had 10 or less imported parts, and no more than 2 evil features.

The result was the 56S becoming the MAK-90 and lesser known NHM90. The first MAK-90s can be found with threaded muzzles and the cleaning rod holder intact, with just the bayo ears ground off the lug on the gas block. The pistol grip and stock were replaced with what I coined as the Bush-hole stock. Funny, later ATF ruled that even that stock could be considered a pistol grip stock but let it slide. On later MAK-90s the muzzle threads were either knurled off, machined off, or the barrels were not threaded to begin with. The cleaning rod holder was also ground off along with the remains of the bayo lug as it was found you still could lock some evil bayonets on the rifle.

MAK-90s were imported from 1990 through 1994 when william jefferson clinton, through an act of congress got the rifles banned by name, along with being angry at China for allegedly trying to import some real "evil" stuff. Clinton had all Chinese military style weapons, repair parts, spare parts, and ammo banned.

Many people think the MAK-90s were date stamped, but only the 93 and 94 and some of the 92s were truly stamped with the first two digits of the serial number being the date.

One thing the Chinese AK variants were known for was their great triggers, arguably the best trigger group of any factory AK variant imported into the land of shall not be infringed.

The Chinese AK variants were among the nicest of the once imported, and due to the bans along with more people getting into the hobby, prices have been getting into the crazy region, but there are still buys to be had.

s15v8
02-09-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for history lesson aknut! :thumbsup:
I really appreciate the time you to answer my questions, I did pick up a mak90 before I started this thread, it has no cleaning rod holder, not the "bush-hole" stock its a different one it reminds me of the psl or dragunov stock set and I can't tell if the barrel end is turned down or not, I'm having a new wood set ordered or it and stained to the Chinese color. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

imanaknut
02-09-2013, 10:42 PM
I forget there was one or two importers that used a black plastic stock set. Much lighter weight than that heavy wood.

s15v8
02-10-2013, 02:53 AM
I forget there was one or two importers that used a black plastic stock set. Much lighter weight than that heavy wood.
I don't mind the weight of the wood, I just favor wood stock sets on the AKs, even though my 74 has a plastic stock set, I still like it and shoot it.