PDA

View Full Version : Olympic FAL receivers are they good?

Penguin
02-11-2013, 09:21 PM
So I may have found another FAL that I may order that is built on an Olympic receiver. I don't know anything about olympic though. Do they make good recivers or are they bad?

Schuetzenman
02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Olympic Arms from Olympia WA? Didn't know they made FAL receivers, knew they made AR rifles. Also know they got steel core Cinese or other wise 7.62x39 ammo banned. I trust DSA, Imbel and Coonan's Type 1, that's about it.

Penguin
02-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Olympic Arms from Olympia WA? Didn't know they made FAL receivers, knew they made AR rifles. Also know they got steel core Cinese or other wise 7.62x39 ammo banned. I trust DSA, Imbel and Coonan's Type 1, that's about it.

Looks like that is what is stamped on the reciver from the picture. Like you I didn't know they made FAL recivers. All I know about is their AR's.

fnpurist
05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't trust it, DSA is where I put my money

imanaknut
05-30-2013, 07:15 PM
I believe Olympic only put them together, buying the parts from many sources. As I remember it they didn't do a good job putting them together nor using quality parts. My 2 cents is that unless it has been gone over and checked out, unless the price is one of those too good to pass up, with room to spend on repairs if needed, I would pass.

Penguin
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys. For what it is worth I did buy it. It was owned by a gun smith for what ever that is worth. The gas regulator was stuck and I mean stuck. So I have to wonder what kind of gun smith owned it... I finially got that free and working. The butstock has a crack in it. Other than that it looked good. It is built on an australian parts kit from the looks of it. It has a nice triger for an FAL, at least given my limited experince with them.

Sadly I need still haven't taken it out and shot it due to outragous prices on ammo and limited avaliblity.

Schuetzenman
05-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Outrageous prices of ammo to be sure! It makes me ill just looking at how expensive all ammo is anymore. Hell, I really can't bring myself to shoot as I can't afford to replace it once the ammo is gone. At current prices I could go buy a house if I sold it all for cash.

Penguin
06-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Outrageous prices of ammo to be sure! It makes me ill just looking at how expensive all ammo is anymore. Hell, I really can't bring myself to shoot as I can't afford to replace it once the ammo is gone.

That is my deal as well. I don't want to shoot what I have when I can't find it or if I can find it can't afford to replace it.

I feel pretty good about the rifle though. Given that I bought it pretty much at the hight of the panic I don't think I did to bad on the price. I already had a couple of spare butstocks laying around so that cracked stock wasn't a big deal to me.

Schuetzenman
06-01-2013, 07:47 PM
That is my deal as well. I don't want to shoot what I have when I can't find it or if I can find it can't afford to replace it.

I feel pretty good about the rifle though. Given that I bought it pretty much at the hight of the panic I don't think I did to bad on the price. I already had a couple of spare butstocks laying around so that cracked stock wasn't a big deal to me.

Photos?