PDA

View Full Version : Which is more RARE ?

Russbirch
02-14-2013, 07:46 AM
Standard 84s-5a or 84s-3a in red ? I just got a 84s-3a in black and a 84s-5a in black. I have available to me a 84s-3a in red. I have never seen one before...thoughts? Thanks!

imanaknut
02-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I have never seen an 84S-3A in red. I do know that Norinco listed full stock 84S and underfolder 84S-1 available in wood, black or red stocks as well as three barrel lengths, but I have only seen the long stock 84S-3A and side folder 84S-5A in black. There was an 84S-2 which was a red side folder advertised, but I don't know of any officially imported.

Granted that with the Chinese the only rule was that there were no rules, and after speaking to the Keng family of Poly Tech fame at great length I do know that the Chinese were willing to try anything to break into the USA market before Bush the First had his evil feature fit. That said, while it is possible that there was one or two 84S-3A imported in red, I would like to see documentation, such as the box it came in marked as having the red/orange stock set.

It is also possible that someone way back when they were available had a red stock set and put it on the 84S-3A. Just make sure the stock is the longer one that differentiated the 84S from the 84S-3A.

Russbirch
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
I have never seen an 84S-3A in red. I do know that Norinco listed full stock 84S and underfolder 84S-1 available in wood, black or red stocks as well as three barrel lengths, but I have only seen the long stock 84S-3A and side folder 84S-5A in black. There was an 84S-2 which was a red side folder advertised, but I don't know of any officially imported.

It is also possible that someone way back when they were available had a red stock set and put it on the 84S-3A. Just make sure the stock is the longer one that differentiated the 84S from the 84S-3A.

The point that came to mind for me was if the stock is exactly the same size as the black 84S-3A stock or not. There is no other gun of which I'm aware from which that stock could come, unless someone made it from scratch, which I highly doubt. The guy is supposed to be sending me a set of up close pics in a day or two.

I was hoping someone might say... "Yes, but they are rare as hen's teeth... BUY IT".

imanaknut
02-14-2013, 03:00 PM

The point that came to mind for me was if the stock is exactly the same size as the black 84S-3A stock or not. There is no other gun of which I'm aware from which that stock could come, unless someone made it from scratch, which I highly doubt. The guy is supposed to be sending me a set of up close pics in a day or two.

I was hoping someone might say... "Yes, but they are rare as hen's teeth... BUY IT".

I wish I could say that, but this is the first red version of the 84S-3A that I have ever heard of in 25 plus years of collecting, so all I can say is be careful, be very very careful.

And for what it's worth, I do know someone who is making knock-off orange pistol grips right here in the land of shall not be infringed. Granted making knock-offs of plastic parts isn't as easy as wood, but it is possible.

s15v8
02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Hearing all this makes me want to pick up a 84s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Russbirch
02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Well, this is apparently my fault. I read his email wrong. It is a red bakelite 84s, not an 84s-3a. I will have pics hopefully tomorrow to confirm the condition and all the details.

So, Mr. Nut, if you have 25 years of this, is there any one you don't have? Lol... !!!

Also, some how, when I post a picture, it only shows a link to the pic, not the pic itself. What am I doing wrong?

imanaknut
02-14-2013, 06:05 PM
After uploading the picture to a web host, or this site, right click on the picture and then on copy URL. Next, in the post edit window is a square icon that looks like a tree in a yellow background, and comes up as "Insert Image". Click on that, then the URL tab. Unclick the checked box and then past the URL into the area for the link. Click "OK" and the picture will show in the post.